Affiliation: University of Arizona
- Impact of liver transplantation on the survival of patients treated for hepatorenal syndrome type 1Thomas D Boyer
Liver Research Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Liver Transpl 17:1328-32. 2011..For patients not undergoing transplantation, HRS reversal with terlipressin and/or albumin improves survival...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in the management of complications of portal hypertensionThomas D Boyer
Liver Research Institute, AHSC 245136, Room 309, 1501 North Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 10:30-5. 2008..The role of TIPS in the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome is unclear; currently only patients with type 2 hepatorenal syndrome should be considered candidates for TIPS...
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases Practice Guidelines: the role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation in the management of portal hypertensionThomas D Boyer
Liver Research Institute, University of Arizona School of Medicine, AHSC 245136, Tucson, 85750, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:615-29. 2005
- Cost of preventing variceal rebleeding with transjugular intrahepatic portal systemic shunt and distal splenorenal shuntThomas D Boyer
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona, Liver Research Institute, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Hepatol 48:407-14. 2008..We examined the cost and cost effectiveness of distal splenorenal shunt (DSRS) and transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) in the prevention of variceal rebleeding...
- The role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in the management of portal hypertensionThomas D Boyer
Liver Research Institute, University of Arizona School of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85750, USA
Hepatology 41:386-400. 2005
- Predictors of response to terlipressin plus albumin in hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) type 1: relationship of serum creatinine to hemodynamicsThomas D Boyer
Dept of Medicine, University of Arizona, College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ, United States
J Hepatol 55:315-21. 2011..However, only about 1/3 of patients respond to treatment, therefore, predictors of response and survival would help identify the patients most likely to benefit from treatment...
- A randomized, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of terlipressin for type 1 hepatorenal syndromeArun J Sanyal
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Gastroenterology 134:1360-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of terlipressin, a systemic arterial vasoconstrictor, for cirrhosis type 1 HRS...
- Identification of a short form of ubiquitin-specific protease 3 that is a repressor of rat glutathione S-transferase gene expressionRichard Whalen
The University of Arizona Liver Research Institute, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5136, USA
Biochem J 394:519-26. 2006..We believe that the short form of USP3 is IL6DEX-NP and that it may play an important role in the negative regulation of proteins during the acute-phase response...
- Changing clinical practice with measurements of portal pressureThomas D Boyer
University of Arizona School of Medicine and Liver Research Institute, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Hepatology 39:283-5. 2004
- Decreased expression levels of rat liver glutathione S-transferase A2 and albumin during the acute phase response are mediated by HNF1 (hepatic nuclear factor 1) and IL6DEX-NPRichard Whalen
Liver Research Institute, University of Arizona School of Medicine, AHSC 245136, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 5136, U S A
Biochem J 377:763-8. 2004..Later persistent decreases in transcriptional rate of rGSTA2 and to a lesser extent albumin are due to increased IL6DEX-NP binding. IL6DEX-NP appears to be an important negative regulator of gene expression in vitro and in vivo...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt: current statusThomas D Boyer
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, 85724, USA
Gastroenterology 124:1700-10. 2003..Despite the apparent efficacy of TIPS in many of these situations, its use should be limited to salvage therapy pending the publication of controlled trials showing it is a better treatment than other forms of therapy...
- Alcohol consumption by cirrhotic subjects: patterns of use and effects on liver functionMichael R Lucey
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53792 5124, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1698-706. 2008....
- Survival of Clostridium perfringens sepsis in a liver transplant recipientGeraldine C Diaz
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Liver Transpl 15:1469-72. 2009..Herein, we describe the first documented survivor of C. perfringens sepsis following OLT managed without laparotomy or emergent ReTx...
- Characterization of the molecular forms of glutathione S-transferase P1 in human gastric cancer cells (Kato III) and in normal human erythrocytesPerungavar N Ranganathan
The University of Arizona Liver Research Institute, 6309 AHSC, POB 245136, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 5136, USA
Biochem J 386:525-33. 2005..Therefore normal and malignant human cells contain GSTP1 monomers with post-translational modifications, and it is likely that GSTP1 monomers regulate JNK activity in human cells in the same manner as in rodent cells...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS): its time has comeThomas D Boyer
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:437-8. 2008
- Distal splenorenal shunt versus transjugular intrahepatic portal systematic shunt for variceal bleeding: a randomized trialJ Michael Henderson
Department of Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Gastroenterology 130:1643-51. 2006..This prospective randomized trial tested the hypothesis that patients receiving distal splenorenal shunts (DSRS) would have significantly lower rebleeding and encephalopathy rates than TIPS in management of refractory variceal bleeding...
- Wedged hepatic vein pressure (WHVP): ready for prime timeThomas D Boyer
Hepatology 43:405-6. 2006
- Primary prophylaxis against variceal bleeding: beta-blockers, endoscopic ligation, or both?Naga Chalasani
Am J Gastroenterol 100:805-7. 2005..Further study is required to determine if VBL in combination with beta-blockers is more effective than the beta-blockers alone...
- Mechanism of negative regulation of rat glutathione S-transferase A2 by the cytokine interleukin 6Susan H Voss
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Biochem J 365:229-37. 2002..The protein may be an important negative regulator of transcription during the acute-phase response...
- Clinical trials for variceal bleeding: and the winner is--the patientThomas D Boyer
Liver Transpl 13:1212-3. 2007
- Primary prophylaxis for variceal bleeding: are we there yet?Thomas D Boyer
Gastroenterology 128:1120-2. 2005
- Screening in liver disease: report of an AASLD clinical workshopPaul C Adams
London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 39:1204-12. 2004..Future screening programs require careful planning and implementation to balance the benefits, risks, and cost-effectiveness. This review outlines the concepts of screening and their application to a broad range of liver diseases...