Phyllis E Bowen
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Postprandial lipid oxidation and cardiovascular disease riskPhyllis E Bowen
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, m c 517, 1919 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Curr Atheroscler Rep 6:477-84. 2004..Remediation of postprandial oxidative stress through direct reduction of superoxide generation and simultaneous consumption of antioxidants with each meal should be a focus of future research...
- Tomato sauce supplementation and prostate cancer: lycopene accumulation and modulation of biomarkers of carcinogenesisPhyllis Bowen
Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, m c 517, University of Illinois, 1919 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 227:886-93. 2002..Whether reduction in DNA damage to prostate cancer cells is beneficial awaits further research, although reduction in serum PSA concentrations is promising...
- Selection of surrogate endpoint biomarkers to evaluate the efficacy of lycopene/tomatoes for the prevention/progression of prostate cancerPhyllis E Bowen
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, L 60612, USA
J Nutr 135:2068S-70S. 2005
- Role of lycopene and tomato products in prostate healthMaria Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1919 West Taylor St Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1740:202-5. 2005..Other phytochemicals in tomato may act in synergy with lycopene to potentiate protective effects and to help in the maintenance of prostate health...
- Single-dose pharmacokinetic study of lycopene delivered in a well-defined food-based lycopene delivery system (tomato paste-oil mixture) in healthy adult male subjectsDavid M Gustin
Division of Hematology-Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:850-60. 2004..Pharmacokinetic parameters for trans- and cis-lycopene isomers were calculated and are reported here. The formulation was well tolerated with minimal side effects, which were mainly of gastrointestinal nature and of very low grade...
- Antioxidant effects of lycopene in African American men with prostate cancer or benign prostate hyperplasia: a randomized, controlled trialRichard B van Breemen
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, University of Illinois College of Pharmacy, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4:711-8. 2011..005). No significant changes in the DNA oxidation product 8-oxo-deoxyguanosine and the lipid peroxidation product malondialdehyde were observed in prostate tissue and plasma, respectively, as a result of lycopene administration...
- Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry of cis- and all-trans-lycopene in human serum and prostate tissue after dietary supplementation with tomato sauceRichard B van Breemen
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:2214-9. 2002....
- Pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution of orally administered lycopene in male dogsPeter J Korytko
Toxicology Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Nutr 133:2788-92. 2003..2 nmol/g both 1 and 5 d after dosing ceased (<0.4% of liver concentrations). Although 70% trans-lycopene was used in the dosing material, most of the lycopene identified in plasma and tissues was cis-lycopene...
- A physiological pharmacokinetic model describing the disposition of lycopene in healthy menVeda Diwadkar-Navsariwala
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Lipid Res 44:1927-39. 2003..This may have important implications for planning clinical trials with pharmacological doses of lycopene in cancer control and prevention if absorption saturation occurs at levels that are already being consumed in the population...
- DNA damage, a biomarker of carcinogenesis: its measurement and modulation by diet and environmentEun Sun Hwang
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago Chicago, IL, 60612, USA
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 47:27-50. 2007....
- Effects of tomato paste extracts on cell proliferation, cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis in LNCaP human prostate cancer cellsEun-Sun Hwang
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 61801, USA
Biofactors 23:75-84. 2005..Apoptosis was observed at the 5 microM hexane extract at the late stages during 24 and 48 hr treatment. Tomato, therefore, deserves study as a potential chemopreventive/chemotherapeutic agent...
- Cell cycle arrest and induction of apoptosis by lycopene in LNCaP human prostate cancer cellsEun-Sun Hwang
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Med Food 7:284-9. 2004..Apoptosis was observed at the 5 microM lycopene formulation at the late stages during the 24- and 48-hour treatments. Lycopene, therefore, deserves further study as a potential chemopreventive/chemotherapeutic agent...
- Exfoliated buccal mucosa cells as a source of DNA to study oxidative stressGayatri Borthakur
Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago M C 517, 1919 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:212-9. 2008..Buccal cells provide an accessible pool of epithelial cells that represents higher levels of DNA damage than circulating leukocytes...
- Effects of tomato sauce consumption on apoptotic cell death in prostate benign hyperplasia and carcinomaHyung-Sook Kim
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1919 W. Taylor, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Nutr Cancer 47:40-7. 2003....
- Correlations of dietary patterns with prostate healthMaria Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois in Chicago, Chicago IL, USA
Mol Nutr Food Res 52:114-30. 2008..Numerous plant constituents may act synergistically in the prevention and inhibition of prostate disorders. These diet-risk associations may lead to future individualized diet recommendations based upon genetic polymorphisms...
- Dietary acculturation and diet quality of hypertensive Korean AmericansMi Ja Kim
Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Adv Nurs 58:436-45. 2007..This paper is a report of a study to describe the dietary acculturation of hypertensive and normotensive Korean Americans and native Koreans by comparing dietary pattern and diet quality...
- Health disparities in lifestyle choices among hypertensive Korean Americans, non-Hispanic Whites, and BlacksMi Ja Kim
College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Biol Res Nurs 7:67-74. 2005....
- Can the consumption of tomatoes or lycopene reduce cancer risk?Eun Sun Hwang
Department of Human Nutrition M C 517, 1919 W Taylor Street, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 1:121-32; discussion 132. 2002..Numerous other potentially beneficial compounds are present in tomatoes and complex interactions among multiple components may contribute to the anticancer properties of tomatoes...
- Effects of heat treatment on the carotenoid and tocopherol composition of tomatoEun Sun Hwang
Author Hwang is with Dept of Nutrition and Culinary Science, Hankyong Natl Univ, 327 Chungang ro, Anseong si, Gyeonggi do 456 749, Republic of Korea Authors Stacewicz Sapuntzakis and Bowen are with Dept of Kinesiology and Nutrition, Univ of Illinois at Chicago, 1919 W Taylor St, Chicago, IL 60612, U S A Direct inquiries to author Hwang E mail
J Food Sci 77:C1109-14. 2012..These results suggested that thermal processes might break down cell walls and enhance the release of carotenoids and tocopherols from the matrix, as well as increase isomerization of lycopene and β-carotene...
- Esterification does not impair lutein bioavailability in humansPhyllis E Bowen
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
J Nutr 132:3668-73. 2002....
- Effects of lycopene and tomato paste extracts on DNA and lipid oxidation in LNCaP human prostate cancer cellsEun-Sun Hwang
Center for Agricultural Biomaterial, Seoul National University, San 56-1, Shillim-dong, Kwanak-Gu, Seoul 151-742, Korea
Biofactors 23:97-105. 2005..Low concentrations of lycopene acted as a lipid antioxidant but did not protect DNA...
- A longitudinal evaluation of oxidative stress in trauma patientsKim M Oldham
Department of Food and Nutrition Services, Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:189-97. 2002..The study also explored the role of injury severity and the effect of changes in plasma lipoprotein concentration as the result of hemodilution on lipid-soluble plasma antioxidant concentrations...
- Serum concentrations of lipids, vitamin d metabolites, retinol, retinyl esters, tocopherols and selected carotenoids in twelve captive wild felid species at four zoosSusan D Crissey
Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Conservation Biology and Research Center, Chicago Zoological Society, Brookfield, IL, USA
J Nutr 133:160-6. 2003..The large number of animals analyzed provides a substantial base for comparing the serum nutrient concentrations of healthy animals, for both wild and captive exotic species...