Affiliation: University of California
- University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, Department of Anthropology, History and Social MedicinePhilippe Bourgois
UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143 0850, USA
Acad Med 78:1060-1. 2003
- Reinterpreting ethnic patterns among white and African American men who inject heroin: a social science of medicine approachPhilippe Bourgois
Department of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e452. 2006..Social science theory and methods offer tools to understand the reasons for economic and ethnic disparities that cause individual suffering and stress at the institutional level...
- Hepatitis C virus seroconversion among young injection drug users: relationships and risksJudith A Hahn
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, San Francisco, 94110, USA
J Infect Dis 186:1558-64. 2002..Interventions to reduce HCV transmission must recognize the importance of relationships on injecting risk...
- Masculinity and undocumented labor migration: injured latino day laborers in San FranciscoNicholas Walter
Department of Medicine, University of California, 814 Potrero, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Soc Sci Med 59:1159-68. 2004..A clinical ethnographic focus on socially structured patriarchal suffering elucidates the causal relationship between macro-forces and individual action with a fuller appreciation of the impact of culture and everyday lived experience...
- "You cannot do nothing in this damn place": sex and intimacy among couples with an incarcerated male partnerMegan Comfort
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Sex Res 42:3-12. 2005..We describe how romantic scripts, the build-up of sexual tension during the incarceration period, and conditions of parole promote unprotected sexual intercourse and other HIV/STD risk behavior following release from prison...
- Understanding illicit substance use in the real worldDan Ciccarone
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Med Educ 42:532. 2008
- Social context of work injury among undocumented day laborers in San FranciscoNicholas Walter
School of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, USA
J Gen Intern Med 17:221-9. 2002..To identify ways in which undocumented day laborers' social context affects their risk for occupational injury, and to characterize the ways in which these workers' social context influences their experience of disability...
- The social structural production of HIV risk among injecting drug usersTim Rhodes
The Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behaviour, Imperial College London, UK
Soc Sci Med 61:1026-44. 2005....