Affiliation: University of California
- Reinterpreting ethnic patterns among white and African American men who inject heroin: a social science of medicine approachPhilippe Bourgois
Department of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e452. 2006..Social science theory and methods offer tools to understand the reasons for economic and ethnic disparities that cause individual suffering and stress at the institutional level...
- Hepatitis C virus seroconversion among young injection drug users: relationships and risksJudith A Hahn
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, San Francisco, 94110, USA
J Infect Dis 186:1558-64. 2002..Interventions to reduce HCV transmission must recognize the importance of relationships on injecting risk...
- University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, Department of Anthropology, History and Social MedicinePhilippe Bourgois
UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143-0850, USA
Acad Med 78:1060-1. 2003
- Masculinity and undocumented labor migration: injured latino day laborers in San FranciscoNicholas Walter
Department of Medicine, University of California, 814 Potrero, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Soc Sci Med 59:1159-68. 2004..A clinical ethnographic focus on socially structured patriarchal suffering elucidates the causal relationship between macro-forces and individual action with a fuller appreciation of the impact of culture and everyday lived experience...
- "You cannot do nothing in this damn place": sex and intimacy among couples with an incarcerated male partnerMegan Comfort
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Sex Res 42:3-12. 2005..We describe how romantic scripts, the build-up of sexual tension during the incarceration period, and conditions of parole promote unprotected sexual intercourse and other HIV/STD risk behavior following release from prison...
- Understanding illicit substance use in the real worldDan Ciccarone
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Med Educ 42:532. 2008
- Social context of work injury among undocumented day laborers in San FranciscoNicholas Walter
School of Medicine, University of California-San Francisco, USA
J Gen Intern Med 17:221-9. 2002....
- The social structural production of HIV risk among injecting drug usersTim Rhodes
The Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behaviour, Imperial College London, UK
Soc Sci Med 61:1026-44. 2005....