James E Bost
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- The 8-item Short-Form Health Survey and the physical comfort composite score of the quality of recovery 40-item scale provide the most responsive assessments of pain, physical function, and mental function during the first 4 days after ambulatory knee surJames E Bost
Center for Research on Health Care, and Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1693-700, table of contents. 2007..The objective was to provide a robust psychometric basis for outcome survey selection for surgical outpatients undergoing regional anesthesia without general anesthesia...
- General health and knee function outcomes from 7 days to 12 weeks after spinal anesthesia and multimodal analgesia for anterior cruciate ligament reconstructionBrian A Williams
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Anesth Analg 108:1296-302. 2009..We now report the prospectively collected general health and knee function outcomes in the 7 days to 12 wk after surgery in these same patients...
- Teaching internal medicine residents to care for reproductive-age and pregnant women: an effective Web-based curriculumCarla L Spagnoletti
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Teach Learn Med 20:186-92. 2008..Training in these areas has been previously identified as inadequate...
- Does vasectomy explain the difference in tubal sterilization rates between black and white women?Sonya Borrero
Divison of General Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Fertil Steril 91:1642-5. 2009..To examine whether the observed difference in tubal sterilization rates between black and white women is dependent on racial/ethnic differences in vasectomy rates...
- Impact of chronic musculoskeletal pathology on older adults: a study of differences between knee OA and low back painNatalia E Morone
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Pain Med 10:693-701. 2009....
- Time to give the first medication during resuscitation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrestJon C Rittenberger
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Resuscitation 70:201-6. 2006..Then, the mean time and ranges of reported study medication delivery in clinical trials where medication was the experimental intervention was determined...
- A systematic review of the performance characteristics of clinical event monitor signals used to detect adverse drug events in the hospital settingSteven M Handler
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 3471 Fifth Ave, Suite 500, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 14:451-8. 2007..The objective of this study was to conduct a systematic review of pharmacy and laboratory signals used by clinical event monitors to detect ADEs in hospitalized adults...
- MRI-based kidney volume measurements in ADPKD: reliability and effect of gadolinium enhancementKyongtae T Bae
Department of Radiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:719-25. 2009....
- Do Women's health internal medicine residency tracks make a difference?Abby L Spencer
Department of General Internal Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:1219-23. 2007..Women's health tracks (WHTs) were developed to overcome identified deficiencies in residency training. Their effectiveness in preparing residents to manage both gender-neutral and gender-specific medical conditions is unknown...
- Race, insurance status, and desire for tubal sterilization reversalSonya B Borrero
Division of General Internal Medicine, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System and University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15240, USA
Fertil Steril 90:272-7. 2008..To examine the independent effects of race/ethnicity and insurance status on desire for tubal sterilization reversal...
- Perceived discrimination in health care and health status in a racially diverse sampleLeslie R M Hausmann
VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15206, USA
Med Care 46:905-14. 2008..This study examined the prevalence of such discrimination, and its association with health status, for the 3 largest race/ethnic groups in the United States...
- Race, insurance status, and tubal sterilizationSonya Borrero
Divison of General Internal Medicine, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System and University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15240, USA
Obstet Gynecol 109:94-100. 2007..To examine the independent effects of race or ethnicity and insurance status on use of tubal sterilization rates...
- Perceived discrimination in health care and use of preventive health servicesLeslie R M Hausmann
VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1679-84. 2008..To examine the relationship between perceived discrimination and preventive health care utilization...
- Prevalence of urinary tract infection in childhood: a meta-analysisNader Shaikh
Division of General Academic Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2583, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:302-8. 2008..We conducted a meta-analysis to determine the pooled prevalence of urinary tract infection (UTI) in children by age, gender, race, and circumcision status...
- Relationship between staff perceptions of hospital norms and hospital-level end-of-life treatment intensityAmber E Barnato
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Palliat Med 10:1093-100. 2007..Individual hospital microclimates must exist to perpetuate these practice variations...
- A longitudinal study of childhood depression and anxiety in relation to weight gainDana L Rofey
Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Weight Management and Wellness Center, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 40:517-26. 2009..The major finding that depression and anxiety are associated with increased BMI percentiles in a non-obese sample suggests that childhood psychopathology is an important factor that should be carefully monitored...
- Procedural and interpretive skills of medical students: experiences and attitudes of third-year studentsEdward H Wu
Division of General Internal Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital Brown Medical School, 593 Eddy Street, Jane Brown Bldg Suite 0105, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Acad Med 81:S48-51. 2006..Recent data do not exist on medical students' performance of and attitudes toward procedural and interpretive skills deemed important by medical educators...