Cesar V Borlongan
Affiliation: University of South Florida
- Lin D, De La Pena I, Lin L, Zhou S, Borlongan C, Cao C. The neuroprotective role of acupuncture and activation of the BDNF signaling pathway. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:3234-52 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this article is to review the recent findings and ongoing studies on the neuroprotective roles of acupuncture and therapeutic implications of acupuncture-induced activation of BDNF and its signaling pathway. ..
- Dela Peña I, Yang S, Shen G, Fang Liang H, Solak S, Borlongan C. Extension of Tissue Plasminogen Activator Treatment Window by Granulocyte-Colony Stimulating Factor in a Thromboembolic Rat Model of Stroke. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19: pubmed publisher..These results corroborate the efficacy of G-CSF in enhancing the therapeutic time window of tPA for stroke treatment via EPC mobilization and enhancement of vasculogenesis. ..
- Borlongan C, Glover L, Sanberg P, Hess D. Permeating the blood brain barrier and abrogating the inflammation in stroke: implications for stroke therapy. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18:3670-6 pubmed..In this review, we propose the combination of mannitol-induced BBB permeation and NF-kB decoy for enhancing the therapeutic benefits of cell therapy in stroke. ..
- Sullivan R, Duncan K, Dailey T, Kaneko Y, Tajiri N, Borlongan C. A possible new focus for stroke treatment - migrating stem cells. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2015;15:949-58 pubmed publisher..There is still much to be learned about these mechanisms, though it is the devastating nature of stroke that necessitates continued research into the prospective therapeutic potential of this novel approach. ..
- Duncan K, Gonzales Portillo G, Acosta S, Kaneko Y, Borlongan C, Tajiri N. Stem cell-paved biobridges facilitate stem transplant and host brain cell interactions for stroke therapy. Brain Res. 2015;1623:160-5 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled SI: Cell Interactions In Stroke. ..
- Borlongan C, Rodrigues A, Oliveira M. Breaking the barrier in stroke: what should we know? A mini-review. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18:3615-23 pubmed..This minireview captures cutting-edge discoveries establishing BBB as a central target for abetting neuroprotection and neurorestoration in stroke. ..
- Patel N, Moss L, Lee J, Tajiri N, Acosta S, Hudson C, et al. Long noncoding RNA MALAT1 in exosomes drives regenerative function and modulates inflammation-linked networks following traumatic brain injury. J Neuroinflammation. 2018;15:204 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that MALAT1 in hASC-derived exosomes modulates multiple therapeutic targets, including inflammation, and has tremendous therapeutic potential for treatment of TBI. ..
- Watson N, Divers R, Kedar R, Mehindru A, Mehindru A, Borlongan M, et al. Discarded Wharton jelly of the human umbilical cord: a viable source for mesenchymal stromal cells. Cytotherapy. 2015;17:18-24 pubmed publisher..We previously reviewed the therapeutic potential of WJ-MSCs and now provide an update on their recent preclinical and clinical applications. ..
- Rodrigues M, Lippert T, Nguyen H, Kaelber S, Sanberg P, Borlongan C. Menstrual Blood-Derived Stem Cells: In Vitro and In Vivo Characterization of Functional Effects. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;951:111-121 pubmed..Clinical applications, although still very limited, have great potential and ongoing studies should be disclosed in the near future. ..
- Borlongan C, Kaneko Y, Maki M, Yu S, Ali M, Allickson J, et al. Menstrual blood cells display stem cell-like phenotypic markers and exert neuroprotection following transplantation in experimental stroke. Stem Cells Dev. 2010;19:439-52 pubmed publisher..The present neurostructural and behavioral benefits afforded by transplanted menstrual blood-derived cells support their use as a stem cell source for cell therapy in stroke. ..
- Crowley M, Liska M, Borlongan C. Stem cell therapy for sequestering neuroinflammation in traumatic brain injury: an update on exosome-targeting to the spleen. J Neurosurg Sci. 2017;61:291-302 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide an update on recent scientific evidence supporting the stem cells' novel mechanism of sequestering the inflammation-mediated secondary cell death that closely accompanies the evolution of TBI pathology. ..
- Liska M, Crowley M, Nguyen H, Borlongan C. Biobridge concept in stem cell therapy for ischemic stroke. J Neurosurg Sci. 2017;61:173-179 pubmed publisher..This paper discusses the use of stem cell transplantation for stroke with an emphasis on the new biobridge concept. Also discussed are the current challenges faced before this approach can advance to the clinical setting. ..
- Antonucci I, Provenzano M, Rodrigues M, Pantalone A, Salini V, Ballerini P, et al. Amniotic Fluid Stem Cells: A Novel Source for Modeling of Human Genetic Diseases. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..In this article, we describe the potential benefits provided by using AFS cells in the modeling of human genetic diseases. ..
- Sawmiller D, Li S, Shahaduzzaman M, Smith A, Obregon D, Giunta B, et al. Luteolin reduces Alzheimer's disease pathologies induced by traumatic brain injury. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:895-904 pubmed publisher..This study lays the groundwork for a safe and natural compound that could prevent or treat TBI with minimal or no deleterious side effects in combat personnel and others at risk or who have experienced TBI. ..
- Lee J, Lin R, Nguyen H, Grant Liska M, Lippert T, Kaneko Y, et al. Histopathological and Behavioral Assessments of Aging Effects on Stem Cell Transplants in an Experimental Traumatic Brain Injury. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;: pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the protocols for characterizing the histopathological and behavioral effects of transplanted stem cells in an animal model of TBI, with an emphasis on the role of aging in the therapeutic outcomes. ..
- Napoli E, Lippert T, Borlongan C. Stem Cell Therapy: Repurposing Cell-Based Regenerative Medicine Beyond Cell Replacement. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2018;1079:87-91 pubmed publisher..Here, we advance the concept of therapeutically repurposing stem cells not towards cell replacement per se, but rather exploiting the cells' intrinsic properties to serve as the host brain regenerative catalysts. ..
- Sullivan R, Dailey T, Duncan K, Abel N, Borlongan C. Peripheral Nerve Injury: Stem Cell Therapy and Peripheral Nerve Transfer. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed..Lastly, we provide the necessary consideration that these two lines of therapeutic approaches should not be exclusive, but conversely, should be pursued as a combined modality given their mutual role in peripheral nerve regeneration. ..
- Borlongan C, Hayashi T, Oeltgen P, SU T, Wang Y. Hibernation-like state induced by an opioid peptide protects against experimental stroke. BMC Biol. 2009;7:31 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates that delta opioids are crucially involved in stroke, suggesting that the opioid system is important in the study of brain injury and protection. ..
- Song S, Kong X, Acosta S, Sava V, Borlongan C, Sanchez Ramos J. Effects of an Inhibitor of Monocyte Recruitment on Recovery from Traumatic Brain Injury in Mice Treated with Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..In addition, this study confirms the importance of CCR2 and its ligand, monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1), in mediating the inflammatory response following CCI. ..
- Tajiri N, Hernandez D, Acosta S, Shinozuka K, Ishikawa H, Ehrhart J, et al. Suppressed cytokine expression immediatey following traumatic brain injury in neonatal rats indicates an expeditious endogenous anti-inflammatory response. Brain Res. 2014;1559:65-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a robust, immediate anti-inflammatory response mounted by the contralateral hemisphere of the young brain. ..
- Acosta S, Tajiri N, Hoover J, Kaneko Y, Borlongan C. Intravenous Bone Marrow Stem Cell Grafts Preferentially Migrate to Spleen and Abrogate Chronic Inflammation in Stroke. Stroke. 2015;46:2616-27 pubmed publisher..hBMSC transplantation is therapeutic in chronic stroke possibly by abrogating the inflammation-plagued secondary cell death. ..
- Grant Liska M, Crowley M, Lippert T, Corey S, Borlongan C. Delta Opioid Receptor and Peptide: A Dynamic Therapy for Stroke and Other Neurological Disorders. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2018;247:277-299 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, our knowledge of the DOR receptors and agonists has made the opioid system a promising target for therapeutic intervention in many neurological disorders. ..
- Lippert T, Gelineau L, Napoli E, Borlongan C. Harnessing neural stem cells for treating psychiatric symptoms associated with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and epilepsy. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2018;80:10-22 pubmed publisher..Our ultimate goal is to advance stem cell therapy for the treatment of psychiatric disorders. ..
- Knecht T, Story J, Liu J, Davis W, Borlongan C, Dela Peña I. Adjunctive Therapy Approaches for Ischemic Stroke: Innovations to Expand Time Window of Treatment. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Thus, adjunctive treatment approach is an innovative therapeutic modality that can address the limitations of tPA treatment and potentially expand the time window for ischemic stroke therapy. ..