F L Bookstein
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Biometrics, biomathematics and the morphometric synthesisF L Bookstein
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 2007, USA
Bull Math Biol 58:313-65. 1996..This article reviews the history and principal tools of this synthesis in their biomathematical and biometrical context and demonstrates their usefulness in a study of focal neuroanatomical anomalies in schizophrenia...
- Anthropology takes control of morphometricsFred L Bookstein
Institute for Anthropology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Coll Antropol 28:121-32. 2004..This essay celebrates that change and tries to account for it by reference to cognitive and intellectual aspects of the new home...
- Midline corpus callosum is a neuroanatomical focus of fetal alcohol damageFred L Bookstein
Institute of Gerontology, University of Michigan, 300 North Ingalls Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2007, USA
Anat Rec 269:162-74. 2002..The statistical pattern underlying the callosal diagnosis also leads to speculations on mechanisms of the prenatal damage...
- Corpus callosum shape and neuropsychological deficits in adult males with heavy fetal alcohol exposureFred L Bookstein
Institute of Gerontology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Neuroimage 15:233-51. 2002..Thus there is considerable information in callosal form for prognosis of neuropsychological deficits in this frequently encountered birth defect...
- Suggested statistical standards for NTT manuscripts: notes from two of your reviewersF L Bookstein
Biophysics Research Division, University of Michigan, 300 N Ingalls Bldg, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 27:407-15. 2005..In particular, findings that appear only after "adjustment for covariates" are never considered credible by these reviewers; we explain our reasons at length, and suggest alternatives...
- Geometric morphometrics of corpus callosum and subcortical structures in the fetal-alcohol-affected brainF L Bookstein
Institute of Gerontology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 USA
Teratology 64:4-32. 2001..This article describes a quantification of neuroanatomical structure that may supply a useful discriminator of prenatal brain damage from alcohol. It is demonstrated in a data set of adults of both sexes...
- Creases as local features of deformation gridsF L Bookstein
Institute of Gerontology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Med Image Anal 4:93-110. 2000..Under smoothing by relaxation of bending energy against Euclidean distance, one analogue to multiscale analysis for discrete punctate data, creases are robust in location and orientation...
- Landmark methods for forms without landmarks: morphometrics of group differences in outline shapeF L Bookstein
Institute of Gerontology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 2007, USA
Med Image Anal 1:225-43. 1997..This hybrid method is demonstrated in a comparison of the shape of the corpus callosum from mid-sagittal sections of MRI of 25 human brains, 12 normal and 13 with schizophrenia...
- Diaphragmatic shape change after lung volume reduction surgeryL E Quint
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Health Systems, Ann Arbor 48109 0030, USA
J Thorac Imaging 16:149-55. 2001..In patients with poor clinical outcome, surgery appeared to have little effect on diaphragm shape...
- Pain in U.S. nursing homes: validating a pain scale for the minimum data setB E Fries
Institute of Gerontology and School of Public Health, University of Michigan, and Ann Arbor VA Medical Center, 48109 2007, USA
Gerontologist 41:173-9. 2001..The aim of this study was to validate a pain scale for the Minimum Data Set (MDS) assessment instrument and examine prevalence of pain in major nursing home subpopulations, including type of admission and cognitive status...
- "Voxel-based morphometry" should not be used with imperfectly registered imagesF L Bookstein
University of Michigan, USA
Neuroimage 14:1454-62. 2001..The method of Ashburner and Friston is defensible only far from all image gradients...
- Regional dissociated heterochrony in multivariate analysisP Mitteroecker
Institute for Anthropology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1091 Vienna, Austria
Ann Anat 186:463-70. 2004..The relation between these two species' growth trajectories is too complex for a simple summary in terms of global heterochrony...