Affiliation: University of New Mexico
- Study design to examine the potential role of assessment reactivity in the Screening, Motivational Assessment, Referral, and Treatment in Emergency Departments (SMART-ED) protocolDennis M Donovan
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute, University of Washington, 1107 NE 45th Street, Suite 120, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Addict Sci Clin Pract 7:16. 2012....
- Studying the effects of classic hallucinogens in the treatment of alcoholism: rationale, methodology, and current research with psilocybinMichael P Bogenschutz
Center for Psychiatric Research, MSC11 6035, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Curr Drug Abuse Rev 6:17-29. 2013..We then discuss the current status of this field of research and design considerations in future randomized trials. ..
- Therapeutic mechanisms of classic hallucinogens in the treatment of addictions: from indirect evidence to testable hypothesesMichael P Bogenschutz
University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Department of Psychiatry Center for Psychiatric Research, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Drug Test Anal 4:543-55. 2012..We conclude that existing evidence provides a convincing rationale for further research on the effects of classic hallucinogens in the treatment of addiction...
- Design of NIDA CTN Protocol 0047: screening, motivational assessment, referral, and treatment in emergency departments (SMART-ED)Michael P Bogenschutz
Department of Psychiatry, Health Sciences Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 87131, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 37:417-25. 2011....
- Effects of alcoholism typology on response to naltrexone in the COMBINE studyMichael P Bogenschutz
University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Department of Psychiatry and University of New Mexico Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:10-8. 2009..g., conduct disorder), and greater frequency of comorbid psychiatric and substance use disorders...
- 12-step approaches for the dually diagnosed: mechanisms of changeMichael P Bogenschutz
UNM Health Sciences Center, Department of Psychiatry and Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:64s-66s. 2007..Existing data indicate that 12-step program involvement is associated with improved outcomes in the dually diagnosed, but there are questions concerning the magnitude and mechanisms of this effect in various dually diagnosed populations...
- Examining the effects of alcoholism typology and AA attendance on self-efficacy as a mechanism of changeMichael P Bogenschutz
Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions CASAA, University of New Mexico, 2650 Yale SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106, USA
J Stud Alcohol 67:562-7. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the mediational role of self-efficacy on changes in drinking associated with Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) attendance in Type-A and Type-B alcoholics...
- Pharmacologic treatments for women with addictionsMichael P Bogenschutz
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, 2400 Tucker NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 30:523-44. 2003..The obstetrician gynecologist must determine the scope of his or her own practice in this area (ie, when to treat and when to refer) based on interest, training and experience, and available resources...
- Olanzapine versus placebo in the treatment of borderline personality disorderMichael P Bogenschutz
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:104-9. 2004..Here, we report the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of olanzapine as a treatment for BPD...
- The role of twelve-step approaches in dual diagnosis treatment and recoveryMichael P Bogenschutz
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Am J Addict 15:50-60. 2006..More work is needed to determine what kinds of twelve-step treatments and programs are effective for various types of patients and elucidate the mechanisms by which these approaches facilitate recovery...
- Specialized 12-step programs and 12-step facilitation for the dually diagnosedMichael P Bogenschutz
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, 2400 Tucker NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Community Ment Health J 41:7-20. 2005..Larger and longer-term studies are needed to assess the efficacy of modified TSF for DDI relative to other treatments, and to determine what forms of TSF are most effective in this population...
- Treatment of weight gain with fluoxetine in olanzapine-treated schizophrenic outpatientsJuan R Bustillo
Department of Psychiatry, Research Division, 2400 Tucker NE, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:527-9. 2003..Serotonin reuptake inhibitors are probably not a practical option to counteract weight gain induced by atypical antipsychotics. Atypical-induced weight gain may result from mechanisms other than 5HT reuptake blockade...
- Pharmacotherapy for pregnant women with addictionsWilliam F Rayburn
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of New Mexico, MSC 10 5580, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1885-97. 2004..The purpose of this systematic review was to summarize current experience that pertains to pharmacotherapy for pregnant women with specific chemical addictions...
- Is alcoholism typology a predictor of both Alcoholics Anonymous affiliation and disaffiliation after treatment?J Scott Tonigan
Department of Psychology, Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions CASAA, University of New Mexico, 2650 Yale Southeast, Albuquerque, NM 87106, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 30:323-30. 2006..Findings also indicate that, among treatment-seeking problem drinkers, AA dropout and disaffiliation are distinct, albeit correlated, constructs that require future investigation...
- Spirituality and addictionWilliam R Miller
Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions and the Department of Psychology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131 0001, USA
South Med J 100:433-6. 2007
- Perturbation of the glutamate-glutamine system in alcohol dependence and remissionRobert Thoma
MIND Research Network, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1359-65. 2011..The absence of differences in mean Glu and Gln between the AUD and AUD-R groups suggests that altered Glu-Gln metabolism may either predate the onset of abuse or persist during prolonged abstinence...
- Adolescent substance abuse: the effects of alcohol and marijuana on neuropsychological performanceRobert J Thoma
Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 87131, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:39-46. 2011....
- Pharmacological research on addictions: a framework for ethical and policy considerationsCynthia Geppert
New Mexico Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 41:49-60. 2009..An evidence-based analysis suggests that sound pharmacological research in SUD can safeguard the welfare of research participants while collecting valuable scientific data and benefiting society...
- Development of a bibliography on religion, spirituality and addictionsCynthia Geppert
New Mexico Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Department of Psychiatry, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Religious Studies Program, University of New Mexico, USA
Drug Alcohol Rev 26:389-95. 2007..The aim of this study was to develop a comprehensive annotated public-domain bibliography of the literature on spirituality and addictions to facilitate future research and scholarship...
- Ethics in substance use disorder treatmentCynthia M A Geppert
New Mexico Veterans Affairs Health Care System, 1510 San Pedro Drive SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 32:283-97. 2009....
- Response: anticipating new medicationsMichael P Bogenschutz
Addict Sci Clin Pract 4:36-8. 2008
- 12-Step Facilitation for the Dually DiagnosedMichael Bogenschutz; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Trial Network: Southwest NodeMichael Bogenschutz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Trial Network: Southwest NodeMichael Bogenschutz; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- A Program of Research and Mentorship on Alcoholism and Co-occuring DisordersMichael Bogenschutz; Fiscal Year: 2007..There is a need for better understanding and more effective treatments for these conditions. This grant supports the development of new research approaches and new researchers in this important field. ..
- Clinical Trials Network: New Mexico NodeMichael Bogenschutz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..