Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Clinical approaches to improving alcohol education and counseling in adolescents and young adultsBradley O Boekeloo
University of Maryland School of Public Health, Prevention Research Center, Suite 2387, Building 255, Valley Drive, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Adolesc Med State Art Rev 22:631-48, xiv. 2011..Recommendations and resources for clinicians working with adolescents regarding alcohol misuse are provided...
- Impact of the "peers as family" dormitory wing-based intervention on college student alcohol use and its secondhand effectsBradley O Boekeloo
Dept of Public and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Drug Educ 39:339-59. 2009..60 vs. 2.44, p = .021) and control condition (1.60 vs. 2.27, p = .056). Further research should identify underlying mechanisms for effective alcohol behavior change among male and female wing-mates...
- Perceptions about residence hall wingmates and alcohol-related secondhand effects among college freshmenBradley O Boekeloo
The Department of Public and Community Health, The University of Maryland School of Public Health, College Park, MD, USA
J Am Coll Health 57:619-26. 2009..The authors examined the secondhand effects among college freshmen of others' alcohol use and related student characteristics, and perceptions about residence hallmates...
- Collegiates' intention and confidence to intervene into others' drinkingBradley Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Am J Health Behav 33:91-100. 2009..To examine variable frequencies and relationships between students' intentions and confidence with their intervention...
- Staying safe while consuming alcohol: a qualitative study of the protective strategies and informational needs of college freshmenDonna Elise Howard
University of Maryland, Department of Public and Community Health, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Am Coll Health 56:247-54. 2007..In this qualitative study, the authors examined how students attempt to minimize harm to themselves and others when drinking...
- Personal and social contextual correlates of adolescent dating violenceDonna Howard
Department of Public and Community Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Adolesc Health 33:9-17. 2003..To examine the association of dating violence with personal and social contextual factors among a sample of 12- to 17-year-olds enrolled in managed care health plans...
- Randomized trial of brief office-based interventions to reduce adolescent alcohol useBradley O Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:635-42. 2004..To determine whether office-based interventions change adolescents' alcohol beliefs and alcohol use...
- Parental monitoring and adolescent drinking: results of a 12-month follow-upKenneth H Beck
Department of Public and Community Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742 2611, USA
Am J Health Behav 28:272-9. 2004..To examine the relationship between parental monitoring and adolescent drinking over time...
- Using the case-study methodology to teach ethics to public health studentsDonna E Howard
Department of Public and Community Health at the University of Maryland in College Park, USA
Health Promot Pract 5:151-9. 2004..Presentation of this research by use of the case study method sensitizes students to issues that arise at the intersection of disease prevention and health promotion intervention research...
- Truth and consequences: ethics, confidentiality, and disclosure in adolescent longitudinal prevention researchChristine Lothen-Kline
Department of Public and Community Health, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
J Adolesc Health 33:385-94. 2003..The investigators explored the impact of the change on adolescents' rates of participation and affirmative responses to a question on suicidal thoughts...
- Effect of patient priming and primary care provider prompting on adolescent-provider communication about alcoholBradley O Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:433-9. 2003..To determine whether priming adolescent patients to discuss alcohol with their primary care providers and prompting providers to discuss alcohol increases adolescent-provider communication about alcohol...
- Parental monitoring and adolescent alcohol risk in a clinic populationKenneth H Beck
Laboratoryfor Health Behavior Assessment and Intervention, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Am J Health Behav 27:108-15. 2003..To assess the association between parental monitoring and adolescent alcohol risk...
- Oral sexual experience among young adolescents receiving general health examinationsBradley O Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
Am J Health Behav 26:306-14. 2002..To examine whether oral sex occurs among young adolescents receiving general health examinations and warrants inclusion in sexual risk assessments...
- Perceived parental approval of drinking and its impact on problem drinking behaviors among first-year college studentsJennifer R Boyle
Department of Health Sciences, State University of New York, Brockport 14220, USA
J Am Coll Health 54:238-44. 2006..Student perceptions of parental approval of drinking warrant further investigation as a potentially mutable correlate of problem drinking...
- Provider perceptions of key barriers to providing state-of-the-art clinical care for HIV-infected African-American patientsWilhelmena Lee-Ougo
University of Maryland at College Park, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 95:12S-20S. 2003..However, through focused discussions with target providers and a survey of medical care service sites, the NMAETC confirms that provider' training and assistance needs extend into non-medical domains...
- BRIEF ADOLESCENT ALCOHOL/HIV PREVENTION INTERVENTIONSBradley Boekeloo; Fiscal Year: 2001..Although the study targets adolescents in primary care, the brief interventions could be more broadly administered if shown effective. ..
- Peers as Family: Preventing Problem DrinkingBradley Boekeloo; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is hypothesized that risky drinking will be less among females in the Single gender IMB and males in the Mixed-gender IMB condition over time relative to the Control condition. ..
- Climbing Up and Reaching Back: Ladder of Support for Research Careers in BiomedicSTEPHANIE TIMMONS BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The model is based on a University- Community Based Organization-High School partnership generalizable to other University-Community partnerships. ..