Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Perceptions of high-achieving African American/Black tenth graders from a low socioeconomic community regarding health scientists and desired careersBradley Boekeloo
Department of Behavioral and Community Health, University of Maryland School of Public Health, College Park, MD 20742, USA Tel 301 405 8546, fax 301 314 9167
J Allied Health 43:133-9. 2014..Such research may help to develop and evaluate strategies for increasing the number of minority health scientists. ..
- Clinical approaches to improving alcohol education and counseling in adolescents and young adultsBradley O Boekeloo
University of Maryland School of Public Health, Prevention Research Center, Suite 2387, Building 255, Valley Drive, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Adolesc Med State Art Rev 22:631-48, xiv. 2011..Recommendations and resources for clinicians working with adolescents regarding alcohol misuse are provided...
- Impact of the "peers as family" dormitory wing-based intervention on college student alcohol use and its secondhand effectsBradley O Boekeloo
Dept of Public and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Drug Educ 39:339-59. 2009..60 vs. 2.44, p = .021) and control condition (1.60 vs. 2.27, p = .056). Further research should identify underlying mechanisms for effective alcohol behavior change among male and female wing-mates...
- Perceptions about residence hall wingmates and alcohol-related secondhand effects among college freshmenBradley O Boekeloo
The Department of Public and Community Health, The University of Maryland School of Public Health, College Park, MD, USA
J Am Coll Health 57:619-26. 2009..The authors examined the secondhand effects among college freshmen of others' alcohol use and related student characteristics, and perceptions about residence hallmates...
- Collegiates' intention and confidence to intervene into others' drinkingBradley Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Am J Health Behav 33:91-100. 2009..To examine variable frequencies and relationships between students' intentions and confidence with their intervention...
- Staying safe while consuming alcohol: a qualitative study of the protective strategies and informational needs of college freshmenDonna Elise Howard
University of Maryland, Department of Public and Community Health, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Am Coll Health 56:247-54. 2007..In this qualitative study, the authors examined how students attempt to minimize harm to themselves and others when drinking...
- Personal and social contextual correlates of adolescent dating violenceDonna Howard
Department of Public and Community Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Adolesc Health 33:9-17. 2003..To examine the association of dating violence with personal and social contextual factors among a sample of 12- to 17-year-olds enrolled in managed care health plans...
- Randomized trial of brief office-based interventions to reduce adolescent alcohol useBradley O Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:635-42. 2004..To determine whether office-based interventions change adolescents' alcohol beliefs and alcohol use...
- Parental monitoring and adolescent drinking: results of a 12-month follow-upKenneth H Beck
Department of Public and Community Health, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742 2611, USA
Am J Health Behav 28:272-9. 2004..To examine the relationship between parental monitoring and adolescent drinking over time...
- Using the case-study methodology to teach ethics to public health studentsDonna E Howard
Department of Public and Community Health at the University of Maryland in College Park, USA
Health Promot Pract 5:151-9. 2004..Presentation of this research by use of the case study method sensitizes students to issues that arise at the intersection of disease prevention and health promotion intervention research...
- Truth and consequences: ethics, confidentiality, and disclosure in adolescent longitudinal prevention researchChristine Lothen-Kline
Department of Public and Community Health, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
J Adolesc Health 33:385-94. 2003..The investigators explored the impact of the change on adolescents' rates of participation and affirmative responses to a question on suicidal thoughts...
- Effect of patient priming and primary care provider prompting on adolescent-provider communication about alcoholBradley O Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:433-9. 2003..To determine whether priming adolescent patients to discuss alcohol with their primary care providers and prompting providers to discuss alcohol increases adolescent-provider communication about alcohol...
- Parental monitoring and adolescent alcohol risk in a clinic populationKenneth H Beck
Laboratoryfor Health Behavior Assessment and Intervention, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Am J Health Behav 27:108-15. 2003..To assess the association between parental monitoring and adolescent alcohol risk...
- Oral sexual experience among young adolescents receiving general health examinationsBradley O Boekeloo
Department of Public and Community Health, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
Am J Health Behav 26:306-14. 2002..To examine whether oral sex occurs among young adolescents receiving general health examinations and warrants inclusion in sexual risk assessments...
- Perceived parental approval of drinking and its impact on problem drinking behaviors among first-year college studentsJennifer R Boyle
Department of Health Sciences, State University of New York, Brockport 14220, USA
J Am Coll Health 54:238-44. 2006..Student perceptions of parental approval of drinking warrant further investigation as a potentially mutable correlate of problem drinking...
- Provider perceptions of key barriers to providing state-of-the-art clinical care for HIV-infected African-American patientsWilhelmena Lee-Ougo
University of Maryland at College Park, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 95:12S-20S. 2003..However, through focused discussions with target providers and a survey of medical care service sites, the NMAETC confirms that provider' training and assistance needs extend into non-medical domains...
- BRIEF ADOLESCENT ALCOHOL/HIV PREVENTION INTERVENTIONSBradley Boekeloo; Fiscal Year: 2001..Although the study targets adolescents in primary care, the brief interventions could be more broadly administered if shown effective. ..
- Peers as Family: Preventing Problem DrinkingBradley Boekeloo; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is hypothesized that risky drinking will be less among females in the Single gender IMB and males in the Mixed-gender IMB condition over time relative to the Control condition. ..