Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Effects of frequent marijuana use on memory-related regional cerebral blood flowRobert I Block
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa, Room 5140, Westlawn Building, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 72:237-50. 2002..These findings indicate altered memory-related brain function in marijuana users...
- Methods for studying acute and chronic effects of marijuana on human associative processes and memoryRobert I Block
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
Methods Mol Med 123:217-34. 2006..Eleven tests used to assess marijuana's effects on associative processes, semantic memory, and episodic memory are described...
- Are anesthesia and surgery during infancy associated with altered academic performance during childhood?Robert I Block
Department of Anesthesia, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Anesthesiology 117:494-503. 2012..Although studies in neonatal animals show that anesthetics have neurotoxic effects, relevant human evidence is limited. We examined whether children who had surgery during infancy showed deficits in academic achievement...
- Relation of premorbid cognitive abilities to substance users' problems at treatment intake and improvements with substance abuse treatment and case managementRobert I Block
Department of Anesthesia University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 29:515-38. 2003..Premorbid cognitive abilities should be considered when examining how outcomes are related to clients' characteristics and how maximally effective treatments can be selected based on clients' characteristics...
- Chronic drug use and cognitive impairmentsRobert I Block
Room 5140, Westlawn Building, Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa, 52242, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73:491-504. 2002..Only one of six tests demonstrated improvements following about 3 months of abstinence. Thus, chronic drug use is associated with cognitive impairments that do not improve substantially even after several months of abstinence...
- Treatment of methamphetamine abuse: research findings and clinical directionsMargaret Cretzmeyer
School of Social Work, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 24:267-77. 2003..If methamphetamine abuse continues to increase and the consequences continue to be so devastating, researchers and clinicians could advance the field by particular focus on the treatment of this type of drug use...
- Marijuana alters the human cerebellar clockDANIEL S O'LEARY
Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa Hospital and Clinic, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Neuroreport 14:1145-51. 2003..Smoking marijuana appears to accelerate a cerebellar clock altering self-paced behaviors...
- Effects of smoking marijuana on brain perfusion and cognitionDANIEL S O'LEARY
Mental Health Clinical Research Center, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242 1057, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 26:802-16. 2002..There was no significant rCBF change in the nucleus accumbens or other reward-related brain regions, nor in basal ganglia or hippocampus, which have a high density of cannabinoid receptors...
- Effect of acute marijuana on cardiovascular function and central nervous system pharmacokinetics of [(15)O]water: effect in occasional and chronic usersLaura L Boles Ponto
PET Imaging Center, 0911 Z JPP, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 44:751-66. 2004..Chronic MJ use produces tolerance to the HR increases induced by acute MJ smoking compared to changes observed in occasional users, without changing the effects on BP and [(15)O]water PK...
- Effects of smoking marijuana on focal attention and brain blood flowDANIEL S O'LEARY
Department of Psychiatry, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa 52242, USA
Hum Psychopharmacol 22:135-48. 2007..These data indicate that marijuana has dramatic direct effects on rCBF, but causes relatively little change in the normal pattern of task-related rCBF on this auditory focused attention task...