Genomes and Genes
Yuri A Blednov
Affiliation: University of Texas
- Blednov Y, Jung S, Alva H, Wallace D, Rosahl T, Whiting P, et al. Deletion of the alpha1 or beta2 subunit of GABAA receptors reduces actions of alcohol and other drugs. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003;304:30-6 pubmed..Overall, these data confirm the crucial role of the GABAA receptor in mechanisms mediating sedative/hypnotic effects. ..
- Blednov Y, Cravatt B, Boehm S, Walker D, Harris R. Role of endocannabinoids in alcohol consumption and intoxication: studies of mice lacking fatty acid amide hydrolase. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007;32:1570-82 pubmed..These data suggest that increased endocannabinoid signaling increased ethanol consumption owing to decreased acute ethanol intoxication. ..
- Blednov Y, Walker D, Martinez M, Levine M, Damak S, Margolskee R. Perception of sweet taste is important for voluntary alcohol consumption in mice. Genes Brain Behav. 2008;7:1-13 pubmed..Thus, deletion of any one of three different genes involved in detection of sweet taste leads to a substantial reduction of alcohol intake without any changes in pharmacological actions of ethanol. ..
- Blednov Y, Harris R. Deletion of vanilloid receptor (TRPV1) in mice alters behavioral effects of ethanol. Neuropharmacology. 2009;56:814-20 pubmed..The studies provide the first evidence that TRPV1 is important for specific behavioral actions of ethanol. ..
- Blednov Y, Walker D, Iyer S, Homanics G, Harris A. Mice lacking Gad2 show altered behavioral effects of ethanol, flurazepam and gabaxadol. Addict Biol. 2010;15:45-61 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with earlier proposals that deletion of Gad2 (on 129N2 background) reduces synaptic GABA but also suggest changes in extrasynaptic receptor function. ..