Guthrie S Birkhead
Affiliation: University at Albany
- Integrating multiple programme and policy approaches to hepatitis C prevention and care for injection drug users: a comprehensive approachGuthrie S Birkhead
AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Albany, NY 12237, United States
Int J Drug Policy 18:417-25. 2007..HCV/HIV co-infection is common and models of service delivery that effectively meet IDUs' needs are required. A HCV strategic plan has stressed integration...
- Program and policy interventions for preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV in New York StateGuthrie S Birkhead
Office of Public Health, New York State Department of Health, Corning Tower, Room 1482, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 16:492-504. 2010..This article describes factors associated with MTCT in NYS, the framework for program development, the evolution of NYS's public health program to prevent MTCT, remaining issues, and recommendations...
- Progress in prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in New York State: 1988-2008Guthrie S Birkhead
Office of Public Health, New York State Department of Health, Corning Tower, ESP, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 16:481-91. 2010..To assess the outcomes of efforts to prevent mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) made over the last 2 decades in New York State (NYS), through review of data from multiple sources...
- Acquiring human immunodeficiency virus during pregnancy and mother-to-child transmission in New York: 2002-2006Guthrie S Birkhead
New York State Department of Health, Office of Public Health and Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University at Albany, Albany, New York, USA
Obstet Gynecol 115:1247-55. 2010..To assess perinatal human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) exposure and factors associated with mother-to-child HIV transmission...
- Youth development is a public health approach. IntroductionGuthrie S Birkhead
AIDS Institute and Center for Community Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract . 2006
- Developing competencies for applied epidemiology: from process to productGuthrie S Birkhead
Center for Community Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, NY 12237 0658, USA
Public Health Rep 123:67-118. 2008..s...
- Promoting HCV treatment completion for prison inmates: New York State's hepatitis C continuity programSusan J Klein
New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, Albany, NY, USA
Public Health Rep 122:83-8. 2007..The program was replicated in the New York City Rikers Island jail. The program is operational statewide, referrals sometimes require priority attention, and data collection and other details are still being addressed...
- Expanding access to sterile syringes through pharmacies: assessment of New York's Expanded Syringe Access ProgramJames M Tesoriero
Office of Program Evaluation and Research, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Riverview Center, Suite 516, 150 Broadway, Menands, NY 12204, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 49:407-16. 2009..To investigate the evolution of pharmacist practices, attitudes, and experiences with the Expanded Syringe Access Program (ESAP), which permits over-the-counter sale of syringes by registered pharmacies in New York State...
- New York State's "Assets Coming Together (ACT) for Youth": a statewide approach effects community changeMarta H Riser
Bureau of Child and Adolescent Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract . 2006..From this foundation, New York State hopes to be in the vanguard of utilizing YD as a public health improvement strategy and hopes that others will follow...
- A public health approach to "prevention with positives": the New York State HIV/AIDS Service Delivery SystemSusan J Klein
Program Planning, Development, and Evaluation, New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, Albany, New York 12237 0684, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 11:7-17. 2005..Approaches used by state health departments to advance prevention with positives warrant support and recognition...
- Screening persons newly diagnosed with HIV/AIDS for risk of intimate partner violence: early progress in changing practiceSusan J Klein
AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Corning Tower, Room 412, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:420-8. 2008....
- Rapid HIV antibody testing in the New York State Anonymous HIV Counseling and Testing Program: experience from the fieldMara San Antonio-Gaddy
New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, Corning Tower Rm 315, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:446-50. 2006..To assess rapid and conventional HIV test use, client satisfaction, and counselors' comfort...
- Building an HIV continuum for inmates: New York State's criminal justice initiativeSusan J Klein
Division of HIV Prevention, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Albany 12237 0684, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:114-23. 2002....
- The effect of name-based reporting and partner notification on HIV testing in New York StateJames M Tesoriero
Office of Program Evaluation and Research, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Riverview Center, 150 Broadway, Suite 516, Menands, NY 12204, USA
Am J Public Health 98:728-35. 2008..We examined the effect of New York's HIV Reporting and Partner Notification law on HIV testing levels and on the HIV testing decisions of high-risk individuals...
- Decline in perinatal HIV transmission in New York State (1997-2000)Nancy A Wade
AIDS Institute, Albany, NY, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:1075-82. 2004....
- Wanted: an effective public health response to hepatitis C virus in the United StatesSusan J Klein
New York State Department of Health, AIDS Institute, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:471-5. 2008
- Mobilizing public and private partners to support New York's Expanded Syringe Access Demonstration ProgramSusan J Klein
Division of HIV Prevention, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Albany 12237 0684, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 42:S28-9. 2002
- Trends from an HIV seroprevalence study among childbearing women in New York State from 1988 through 2000: a valuable epidemiologic toolWendy P Pulver
Bureau of HIV AIDS Epidemiology, NewYork State Department of Health, Albany 12237, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:443-8. 2004..Data collected as part of the Survey of Childbearing Women have been valuable for assessing the impact of the disease on the women of New York...
- Expansion of adult hepatitis A and B vaccination in STD clinics and other settings in New York StateElizabeth J Herlihy
Immunization Program, New York State Department of Health, Albany, NY 12237, USA
Public Health Rep 122:36-41. 2007..Intensive promotion expanded hepatitis vaccination to all county STD clinics and other settings where high-risk adults can be vaccinated...
- Reducing financial barriers to vaccinating children and adolescents in the USARobert A Bednarczyk
Office of Public Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 23:105-9. 2011..To increase awareness of the financial barriers to childhood and adolescent vaccination, recent steps taken to mitigate these barriers, and remaining gaps following passage of Federal healthcare reform legislation...
- Prevalence of genotypic drug resistance among a cohort of HIV-infected newbornsMonica M Parker
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:292-7. 2003..These results suggest that resistance testing should be strongly considered for perinatally infected infants, at the earliest possible time point, to avoid use of antiretroviral drugs to which the infant has preexisting resistance...
- Human papillomavirus vaccine uptake and barriers: association with perceived risk, actual risk and race/ethnicity among female students at a New York State university, 2010Robert A Bednarczyk
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University at Albany, 1 University Drive, Rensselaer, NY 12144, United States
Vaccine 29:3138-43. 2011..Compared to whites, black/African-American women were 33% less likely to have initiated HPV vaccination. Common reasons for not receiving the HPV vaccine included concerns about vaccine safety and doctors' not recommending vaccination...
- Declines in hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction in New York state after implementation of a comprehensive smoking banHarlan R Juster
New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Surveillance, Albany, NY 12237 0679, USA
Am J Public Health 97:2035-9. 2007....
- Allocation of ventilators in a public health disasterTia Powell
New York State Task Force on Life and the Law, 90 Church St, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10007, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2:20-6. 2008..In a public health emergency, many more patients could require mechanical ventilators than can be accommodated...
- Competency-based epidemiologic training in public health practiceDenise Koo
Public Health Rep 123:1-3. 2008
- Public health approach to opioid overdoseSusan J Klein
Am J Public Health 97:587-8. 2007
- Access to and use of HIV antiretroviral therapy: variation by race/ethnicity in two public insurance programs in the U.SJames G Kahn
Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 265, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Public Health Rep 117:252-62; discussion 231-2. 2002..To examine access to and use of HIV highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) by race/ethnicity in Medicaid and the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) in 1998 in four states...
- Professional competencies for applied epidemiologists: a roadmap to a more effective epidemiologic workforceGuthrie S Birkhead
J Public Health Manag Pract 12:501-4. 2006
- Re: "Named reporting and mandatory partner notification in New York State: the effect on consent for perinatal HIV testing"Guthrie S Birkhead
J Urban Health 80:167-8; author reply 169-70. 2003
- Public health surveillance for suspected smallpox in the United States, 2003-2005: results of a national surveySonja S Hutchins
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S204-11. 2008..45). The goal is a public health surveillance system in which all states, cities, and territories can detect and manage suspected smallpox cases urgently and in which overall surveillance for other infectious diseases is strengthened...
- The dimensions of public health law researchHeather Horton
Office of the General Counsel, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Law Med Ethics 30:197-201. 2002..In addition to considering the issue of translating research into practice, the article provides overviews of three current public health law research projects and the lessons they provide for researchers...
- Monitoring Atypical HIV Strains Among Persons Newly Dia*Guthrie Birkhead; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..