Guthrie S Birkhead
Affiliation: University at Albany
- Program and policy interventions for preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV in New York StateGuthrie S Birkhead
Office of Public Health, New York State Department of Health, Corning Tower, Room 1482, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 16:492-504. 2010..This article describes factors associated with MTCT in NYS, the framework for program development, the evolution of NYS's public health program to prevent MTCT, remaining issues, and recommendations...
- Youth development is a public health approach. IntroductionGuthrie S Birkhead
AIDS Institute and Center for Community Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract . 2006
- Integrating multiple programme and policy approaches to hepatitis C prevention and care for injection drug users: a comprehensive approachGuthrie S Birkhead
AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Albany, NY 12237, United States
Int J Drug Policy 18:417-25. 2007..HCV/HIV co-infection is common and models of service delivery that effectively meet IDUs' needs are required. A HCV strategic plan has stressed integration...
- Progress in prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in New York State: 1988-2008Guthrie S Birkhead
Office of Public Health, New York State Department of Health, Corning Tower, ESP, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 16:481-91. 2010..To assess the outcomes of efforts to prevent mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) made over the last 2 decades in New York State (NYS), through review of data from multiple sources...
- Acquiring human immunodeficiency virus during pregnancy and mother-to-child transmission in New York: 2002-2006Guthrie S Birkhead
New York State Department of Health, Office of Public Health and Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University at Albany, Albany, New York, USA
Obstet Gynecol 115:1247-55. 2010..To assess perinatal human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) exposure and factors associated with mother-to-child HIV transmission...
- Developing competencies for applied epidemiology: from process to productGuthrie S Birkhead
Center for Community Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, NY 12237 0658, USA
Public Health Rep 123:67-118. 2008..s...
- Expanding access to sterile syringes through pharmacies: assessment of New York's Expanded Syringe Access ProgramJames M Tesoriero
Office of Program Evaluation and Research, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Riverview Center, Suite 516, 150 Broadway, Menands, NY 12204, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 49:407-16. 2009..To investigate the evolution of pharmacist practices, attitudes, and experiences with the Expanded Syringe Access Program (ESAP), which permits over-the-counter sale of syringes by registered pharmacies in New York State...
- Promoting HCV treatment completion for prison inmates: New York State's hepatitis C continuity programSusan J Klein
New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, Albany, NY, USA
Public Health Rep 122:83-8. 2007..The program was replicated in the New York City Rikers Island jail. The program is operational statewide, referrals sometimes require priority attention, and data collection and other details are still being addressed...
- New York State's "Assets Coming Together (ACT) for Youth": a statewide approach effects community changeMarta H Riser
Bureau of Child and Adolescent Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract . 2006..From this foundation, New York State hopes to be in the vanguard of utilizing YD as a public health improvement strategy and hopes that others will follow...
- A public health approach to "prevention with positives": the New York State HIV/AIDS Service Delivery SystemSusan J Klein
Program Planning, Development, and Evaluation, New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, Albany, New York 12237 0684, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 11:7-17. 2005..Approaches used by state health departments to advance prevention with positives warrant support and recognition...
- Screening persons newly diagnosed with HIV/AIDS for risk of intimate partner violence: early progress in changing practiceSusan J Klein
AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Corning Tower, Room 412, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:420-8. 2008....
- Rapid HIV antibody testing in the New York State Anonymous HIV Counseling and Testing Program: experience from the fieldMara San Antonio-Gaddy
New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, Corning Tower Rm 315, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:446-50. 2006..To assess rapid and conventional HIV test use, client satisfaction, and counselors' comfort...
- The effect of name-based reporting and partner notification on HIV testing in New York StateJames M Tesoriero
Office of Program Evaluation and Research, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Riverview Center, 150 Broadway, Suite 516, Menands, NY 12204, USA
Am J Public Health 98:728-35. 2008..We examined the effect of New York's HIV Reporting and Partner Notification law on HIV testing levels and on the HIV testing decisions of high-risk individuals...
- Building an HIV continuum for inmates: New York State's criminal justice initiativeSusan J Klein
Division of HIV Prevention, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Albany 12237 0684, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:114-23. 2002....
- Decline in perinatal HIV transmission in New York State (1997-2000)Nancy A Wade
AIDS Institute, Albany, NY, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:1075-82. 2004....
- Vaccinating my way--use of alternative vaccination schedules in New York StateJessica A Nadeau
School of Public Health, State University of New York, University at Albany, Rensselaer, NY
J Pediatr 166:151-6. 2015..To identify children vaccinated following an alternative vaccine schedule using immunization information system data and determine the impact of alternative schedule use on vaccine coverage...
- Wanted: an effective public health response to hepatitis C virus in the United StatesSusan J Klein
New York State Department of Health, AIDS Institute, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:471-5. 2008
- Mobilizing public and private partners to support New York's Expanded Syringe Access Demonstration ProgramSusan J Klein
Division of HIV Prevention, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Albany 12237 0684, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 42:S28-9. 2002
- Trends from an HIV seroprevalence study among childbearing women in New York State from 1988 through 2000: a valuable epidemiologic toolWendy P Pulver
Bureau of HIV AIDS Epidemiology, NewYork State Department of Health, Albany 12237, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:443-8. 2004..Data collected as part of the Survey of Childbearing Women have been valuable for assessing the impact of the disease on the women of New York...
- Human papillomavirus vaccine uptake and barriers: association with perceived risk, actual risk and race/ethnicity among female students at a New York State university, 2010Robert A Bednarczyk
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University at Albany, 1 University Drive, Rensselaer, NY 12144, United States
Vaccine 29:3138-43. 2011..Compared to whites, black/African-American women were 33% less likely to have initiated HPV vaccination. Common reasons for not receiving the HPV vaccine included concerns about vaccine safety and doctors' not recommending vaccination...
- Expansion of adult hepatitis A and B vaccination in STD clinics and other settings in New York StateElizabeth J Herlihy
Immunization Program, New York State Department of Health, Albany, NY 12237, USA
Public Health Rep 122:36-41. 2007..Intensive promotion expanded hepatitis vaccination to all county STD clinics and other settings where high-risk adults can be vaccinated...
- Prevalence of genotypic drug resistance among a cohort of HIV-infected newbornsMonica M Parker
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:292-7. 2003..These results suggest that resistance testing should be strongly considered for perinatally infected infants, at the earliest possible time point, to avoid use of antiretroviral drugs to which the infant has preexisting resistance...
- Reducing financial barriers to vaccinating children and adolescents in the USARobert A Bednarczyk
Office of Public Health, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 23:105-9. 2011..To increase awareness of the financial barriers to childhood and adolescent vaccination, recent steps taken to mitigate these barriers, and remaining gaps following passage of Federal healthcare reform legislation...
- Evaluating the most effective distribution strategies to assure administration of pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccine to New York State children and adolescents: evaluation using the New York State Immunization Information SystemRobert A Bednarczyk
Office of Public Health Drs Bednarczyk and Birkhead, Bureau of Immunization Mr Flynn, Mss DuVall, Meldrum, and Santilli and Drs Easton, Sharma, and Blog, Division of Epidemiology Dr Blog, and Emerging Infections Program Dr Zansky, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York and Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics Drs McNutt and Birkhead, School of Public Health, University at Albany, Rensselaer, New York
J Public Health Manag Pract 19:589-97. 2013..To examine differences in H1N1 influenza vaccine distribution strategies that may impact the ability to rapidly administer vaccine during a pandemic or public health emergency...
- Declines in hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction in New York state after implementation of a comprehensive smoking banHarlan R Juster
New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Surveillance, Albany, NY 12237 0679, USA
Am J Public Health 97:2035-9. 2007....
- Allocation of ventilators in a public health disasterTia Powell
New York State Task Force on Life and the Law, 90 Church St, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10007, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2:20-6. 2008..In a public health emergency, many more patients could require mechanical ventilators than can be accommodated...
- Uses of electronic health records for public health surveillance to advance public healthGuthrie S Birkhead
New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12237 email
Annu Rev Public Health 36:345-59. 2015..EHRs also provide a unique opportunity to expand the role and vision of current surveillance efforts and to help bridge the gap between public health practice and clinical medicine. ..
- Integrating public health education in a public health practice setting: the experience of the School of Public Health, University at Albany and the New York State Department of HealthGuthrie S Birkhead
New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York Drs Birkhead, Eidson, and Shah the School of Public Health, University at Albany, Rensselaer, New York Drs Birkhead, Eidson, Dewar, Nasca, Morse, and Shah and the Hubert Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta, Georgia Dr Morse
J Public Health Manag Pract 20:278-84. 2014....
- Access to and use of HIV antiretroviral therapy: variation by race/ethnicity in two public insurance programs in the U.SJames G Kahn
Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 265, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Public Health Rep 117:252-62; discussion 231-2. 2002..To examine access to and use of HIV highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) by race/ethnicity in Medicaid and the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) in 1998 in four states...
- Re: "Named reporting and mandatory partner notification in New York State: the effect on consent for perinatal HIV testing"Guthrie S Birkhead
J Urban Health 80:167-8; author reply 169-70. 2003
- Professional competencies for applied epidemiologists: a roadmap to a more effective epidemiologic workforceGuthrie S Birkhead
J Public Health Manag Pract 12:501-4. 2006
- Public health approach to opioid overdoseSusan J Klein
Am J Public Health 97:587-8. 2007
- Competency-based epidemiologic training in public health practiceDenise Koo
Public Health Rep 123:1-3. 2008
- Public health surveillance for suspected smallpox in the United States, 2003-2005: results of a national surveySonja S Hutchins
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S204-11. 2008..45). The goal is a public health surveillance system in which all states, cities, and territories can detect and manage suspected smallpox cases urgently and in which overall surveillance for other infectious diseases is strengthened...
- The dimensions of public health law researchHeather Horton
Office of the General Counsel, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Law Med Ethics 30:197-201. 2002..In addition to considering the issue of translating research into practice, the article provides overviews of three current public health law research projects and the lessons they provide for researchers...