Alexander Welker Biondo
Affiliation: University of Illinois
- Presence of infectious agents and co-infections in diarrheic dogs determined with a real-time polymerase chain reaction-based panelAline Baumann da Rocha Gizzi
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Federal University of Parana, 1540 R dos Funcionários, Curitiba, PR 80035 050, Brazil
BMC Vet Res 10:23. 2014..Feces samples were tested for canine distemper virus, canine coronavirus, canine parvovirus type 2 (CPV-2), Clostridium perfringens alpha toxin (CPA), Cryptosporidium spp., Giardia spp., and Salmonella spp. using molecular techniques...
- Neighborhood and postal worker characteristics associated with dog bites in postal workers of the Brazilian National Postal Service in CuritibaEduardo Alexandre de Oliveira
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, 80035 050
Cien Saude Colet 18:1367-74. 2013..The occurrence of dog bites among postal workers in Curitiba is related to income and population density and prevention strategies should address mailbox position and adequate fencing to provide protection for postal workers...
- A review of the occurrence of hemoplasmas (hemotrophic mycoplasmas) in BrazilAlexander Welker Biondo
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Parana, UFPR
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 18:1-7. 2009..Further studies should be conducted to better understand their impact on pets, production animals, and wildlife fauna, as well as their role as zoonotic agents, particularly in immunocompromised patients...
- Prevalence and molecular characterization of Mycoplasma ovis in selected free-ranging Brazilian deer populationsAna Laura Grazziotin
Department of Veterinary Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, Universidade Federal do Parana, Rua dos Funcionários, 1450, Curitiba, PR80035 050, Brazil
J Wildl Dis 47:1005-11. 2011..ovis, 'Candidatus Mycoplasma erythrocervae', and a hemoplasma most closely related to M. ovis. Phylogenetic analysis of the 23S rRNA gene from selected sequences confirmed these relationships...
- Seroprevalence and seroincidence of Leptospira infection in dogs during a one-year period in an endemic urban area in Southern BrazilVivien Midori Morikawa
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 48:50-5. 2015..This study aimed to evaluate the seroprevalence and seroincidence of leptospirosis infection in dogs in an urban low-income community in southern Brazil where human leptospirosis is endemic...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in cats from Curitiba, Paraná, BrazilMarúcia de Andrade Cruz
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Parana UFPR, Brazil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 20:256-8. 2011..In conclusion, low feline toxoplasmosis seroprevalence may be associated to owned cats due to adequate dietary care and restricted outdoor access, as well as low local environmental exposure...
- Dog parasite incidence and risk factors, from sampling after one-year interval, in Pinhais, BrazilCamila Marinelli Martins
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 21:101-6. 2012..Therefore, isolated antiparasitic treatment strategies may have no impact on parasite control, given the risk of introduction of new agents, thereby limiting the prevention strategies...
- Mycoplasma ovis in captive cervids: prevalence, molecular characterization and phylogenyAna Laura Grazziotin
Department of Veterinary Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, Universidade Federal do Parana, Rua dos Funcionários, 1450, Curitiba, PR 80035 050, Brazil
Vet Microbiol 152:415-9. 2011..ovis and only 89.4% identity to the 23S rRNA gene of the fawn's M. ovis. This is the first report of M. ovis in captive South American deer, revealing a high prevalence of hemoplasma infection in these animals...
- Occurrences of anti-Toxoplasma gondii and anti-Neospora caninum antibodies in Barbary sheep at Curitiba zoo, southern BrazilVivien Midori Morikawa
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Parana UFPR, Curitiba, PR, Brasil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 23:255-9. 2014..The present study has shown that Barbary sheep at Curitiba zoo were exposed to T. gondii and N. caninum and therefore may act as intermediate hosts, spreading toxoplasmosis and neosporosis within and between species in shared areas. ..
- Serological and molecular survey of Leptospira spp. among cart horses from an endemic area of human leptospirosis in Curitiba, southern BrazilMariane Angélica Finger
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Federal University of Paraná UFPR, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 56:473-6. 2014..Cart horses are a re-emerging population employed to carry recyclable material in cities...
- Seroprevalence of Rickettsia bellii and Rickettsia felis in dogs, São José dos Pinhais, State of Paraná, BrazilFernanda Silva Fortes
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias, Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Parana, Rua dos Funcionários 1540, Curitiba PR, Brazil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 19:222-7. 2010..circulation in dogs in the area studied may be considered at low prevalence, suggesting low risk of human infection, the present data demonstrate for the first time the exposure of dogs to R. bellii and R. felis in Southern Brazil...
- gyrA and gyrB gene mutation in ciprofloxacin-resistant Mycobacterium massiliense clinical isolates from Southern BrazilFernanda Monego
Pós graduação em Biologia Celular e Molecular, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Microb Drug Resist 18:1-6. 2012..No gyrB mutation was observed in all tested M. massiliense isolates. In conclusion, our results have shown that mutations of gyrA codon 90 are frequent and may constitute an important mechanism of resistance to FQ in M. massiliense...
- Cat infected by a variant of bat rabies virus in a 29-year disease-free urban area of southern BrazilVivien Midori Morikawa
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias, Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 45:255-6. 2012..After 29 years, rabies was detected in a cat in Curitiba, southern Brazil...