JUDITH ANNE BERLINER
Affiliation: University of California
- Role of phospholipid oxidation products in atherosclerosisSangderk Lee
Department of Pathology, University of California Los Angeles, MRL 4760, 675 Charles E Young Dr S, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Circ Res 111:778-99. 2012..With the knowledge we now have of the regulation and effects of Ox-PL in different vascular cell types, it should be possible to design experiments to test the role of specific Ox-PL on the development of atherosclerosis...
- Metalloproteinase processing of HBEGF is a proximal event in the response of human aortic endothelial cells to oxidized phospholipidsSangderk Lee
Department of Pathology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 32:1246-54. 2012..The goal of this study was to identify the proximal events leading to induction of IL-8 by Ox-PAPC in vascular endothelial cells...
- The role of oxidized phospholipids in atherosclerosisJudith A Berliner
Department of Pathology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Lipid Res 50:S207-12. 2009..Levels of OxPL in plasma have been shown to be correlated with platelet activation. The results of these studies suggest an important role for OxPL in all stages of atherosclerosis...
- Endothelial cell regulation by phospholipid oxidation productsJudith A Berliner
Department of Pathology, University of California at Los Angeles 13 229 CHS, Pathology, 650 Charles Young Dr South, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 45:119-23. 2008..Thus these lipids are potent regulators of endothelial cell function with broad effects comparable in extent but differing from those of cytokines...
- Evidence for a role of phospholipid oxidation products in atherogenesisJ A Berliner
Departments of Medicine and Pathology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 11:142-7. 2001..The mechanism by which these phospholipid oxidation products activate cells has revealed the presence of several different receptors and signal transduction pathways...
- Role of the Jak/STAT pathway in the regulation of interleukin-8 transcription by oxidized phospholipids in vitro and in atherosclerosis in vivoNima M Gharavi
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Molecular Biology Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Biol Chem 282:31460-8. 2007..Taken together, these data demonstrate an important role for the JAK2/STAT3 pathway in Ox-PAPC-induced IL-8 transcription in vitro and in atherosclerosis in vivo...
- Receptors involved in the oxidized 1-palmitoyl-2-arachidonoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphorylcholine-mediated synthesis of interleukin-8. A role for Toll-like receptor 4 and a glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored proteinKimberly A Walton
Department of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Biol Chem 278:29661-6. 2003..Therefore, these studies suggest that ox-PAPC may initially bind to a 37-kDa GPI-anchored protein, which interacts with TLR4 to induce IL-8 transcription...
- High-density lipoprotein modulates oxidized phospholipid signaling in human endothelial cells from proinflammatory to anti-inflammatoryNima M Gharavi
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:1346-53. 2007..The goal of the current studies was to determine the role of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in regulating Ox-PAPC signaling in HAECs...
- The unfolded protein response is an important regulator of inflammatory genes in endothelial cellsPeter S Gargalovic
UCLA Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1679, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2490-6. 2006..The goal of our studies was to identify pathways mediating the induction of inflammatory genes by oxPAPC...
- Oxidized phospholipid-induced endothelial cell/monocyte interaction is mediated by a cAMP-dependent R-Ras/PI3-kinase pathwayAmy L Cole
David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:1384-90. 2003..The present studies identify important signal transduction components regulating this pathway...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 plays a role in the activation of aortic endothelial cells by oxidized phospholipidsAlejandro Zimman
Departments of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:332-8. 2007..The present studies identify vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 (VEGFR2) as a major regulator in the activation of SREBP and Erk 1/2 in endothelial cells activated by Ox-PAPC...
- A role for neutral sphingomyelinase activation in the inhibition of LPS action by phospholipid oxidation productsKimberly A Walton
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Lipid Res 47:1967-74. 2006..Furthermore, we identify specific oxidized phospholipids responsible for this inhibition...
- A role for NADPH oxidase 4 in the activation of vascular endothelial cells by oxidized phospholipidsSangderk Lee
Department of Pathology, University of California at Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 47:145-51. 2009..In summary, we have identified a VEGFR2/NOX4 regulatory pathway by which Ox-PAPC controls important endothelial functions...
- Specific phospholipid oxidation products inhibit ligand activation of toll-like receptors 4 and 2Kimberly A Walton
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1732, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:1197-203. 2003..The current studies identify specific phospholipids that inhibit chemokine induction by Toll-like receptor-4 (TLR4) and -2 (TLR2) ligands inECs and macrophages...
- Identification of inflammatory gene modules based on variations of human endothelial cell responses to oxidized lipidsPeter S Gargalovic
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12741-6. 2006....
- OKL38 is an oxidative stress response gene stimulated by oxidized phospholipidsRongsong Li
Department of Pathology and Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Lipid Res 48:709-15. 2007..Our results suggest that OKL38 is regulated via the Nox/Nrf2 pathway in response to oxidative stress stimuli...
- Improved synthesis of the epoxy isoprostane phospholipid PEIPC and its reactivity with aminesMichael E Jung
Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Medicine Cardiology, and Pathology, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Org Lett 10:4207-9. 2008..Opening of an intermediate with pentylamine shows that the allylic epoxide is the position of attack by nucleophiles...
- Ox-PAPC activation of PMET system increases expression of heme oxygenase-1 in human aortic endothelial cellSangderk Lee
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Lipid Res 50:265-74. 2009..Taken together, we demonstrated that the PMET system in HAEC plays an important role in the regulation of cellular redox status and HO-1 expression by Ox-PAPC...
- Systems genetics analysis of gene-by-environment interactions in human cellsCasey E Romanoski
Department of Human Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 90095, USA
Am J Hum Genet 86:399-410. 2010....
- Epoxyisoprostane and epoxycyclopentenone phospholipids regulate monocyte chemotactic protein-1 and interleukin-8 synthesis. Formation of these oxidized phospholipids in response to interleukin-1betaGanesamoorthy Subbanagounder
Department of Medicine, Center for the Health Sciences, Rm 47 123, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1679, USA
J Biol Chem 277:7271-81. 2002..Their accumulation in cells exposed to cytokines and in atherosclerotic lesions suggests that these lipids may play a role in a number of chronic disease processes...
- Role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in the regulation of SREBP activation by oxidized phospholipidsNima M Gharavi
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Circ Res 98:768-76. 2006..Taken together, these findings propose a novel role for eNOS in the activation of SREBP and SREBP-mediated inflammatory processes...
- Hydroxy alkenal phospholipids regulate inflammatory functions of endothelial cellsGanesamoorthy Subbanagounder
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Center for the Health Sciences, Room 47 123, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1679, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 38:201-9. 2002..These studies demonstrate the importance of HOOA-PC as a new potential proinflammatory molecule that regulates leukocyte-endothelial interactions...
- The oxidation hypothesis of atherogenesis: the role of oxidized phospholipids and HDLMohamad Navab
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Lipid Res 45:993-1007. 2004..Apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I) and apoA-I mimetic peptides may both promote a reduction in oxidized lipids and enhance reverse cholesterol transport and therefore may have therapeutic potential...
- Apoptotic cells with oxidation-specific epitopes are immunogenic and proinflammatoryMi Kyung Chang
Division of Endocrinology, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Exp Med 200:1359-70. 2004..These results suggest that apoptotic cell death generates oxidatively modified moieties, which can induce autoimmune responses and a local inflammatory response by recruiting monocytes via monocyte-endothelial cell interaction...
- Total synthesis of the epoxy isoprostane phospholipids PEIPC and PECPCMichael E Jung
Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Org Lett 7:3933-5. 2005..Final coupling with lyso-PC 16 and silyl group deprotection gave PECPC 2 and PEIPC 1, which showed the same activity as natural PECPC and PEIPC. [reaction: see text]..
- Oxidized phospholipids increase interleukin 8 (IL-8) synthesis by activation of the c-src/signal transducers and activators of transcription (STAT)3 pathwayMichael Yeh
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Biol Chem 279:30175-81. 2004..Taken together, these data demonstrate the role of the c-src kinase/STAT3 pathway in Ox-PAPC-mediated IL-8 expression in endothelial cells...
- A role for oxidized phospholipids in atherosclerosisJudith A Berliner
David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
N Engl J Med 353:9-11. 2005
- Identification of prostaglandin E2 receptor subtype 2 as a receptor activated by OxPAPCRongsong Li
Department of Pathology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Circ Res 98:642-50. 2006..These results suggest that EP2 functions as a receptor for OxPAPC and PEIPC, either as the phospholipid ester or the released fatty acid, in both endothelial cells and macrophages...
- Activation of aortic endothelial cells by oxidized phospholipids: a phosphoproteomic analysisAlejandro Zimman
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1770, USA
J Proteome Res 9:2812-24. 2010..Many changes in protein phosphorylation induced by Ox-PAPC are reported here for the first time and provide new insights into the mechanism of activation by oxidized lipids, including phosphorylation-based signal transduction...
- Oxidized low-density lipoprotein-activated c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase regulates manganese superoxide dismutase ubiquitination: implication for mitochondrial redox status and apoptosisWakako Takabe
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, School of Medicine and School of Engineering, University of Southern California, 1042 Downey Way, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:436-41. 2010..In this study, we investigated the role of manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) on oxLDL-induced apoptosis via c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase (JNK)-mediated ubiquitin/proteasome pathway...
- Minimally oxidized low-density lipoprotein regulates hemostasis factors of brain capillary endothelial cellsJeong Ai Kim
Department of Neurology, University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine, 101 The City Drive South, Building 55, Rm 121, Orange, CA 92868 5120, USA
J Neurol Sci 217:135-41. 2004..These results suggest that MM-LDL may contribute to thrombus formation in the brain...
- Glucose regulates monocyte adhesion through endothelial production of interleukin-8Suseela Srinivasan
Division of Cardiology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Circ Res 92:371-7. 2003..These data indicate that glucose regulates monocyte:endothelial interactions through stimulation of IL-8 and ROS production and activation of the alpha5beta1 integrin complex on HAECs...
- Future of toxicology--lipidomics, an important emerging area for toxicologists: focus on lipid oxidation productsJudith A Berliner
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 13 229 CHS, 650 Charles Young South, Los Angeles, California 90095 1732, USA jberliner mednet ucla edu
Chem Res Toxicol 20:849-53. 2007
- Oxidative stress as a regulator of murine atherosclerosisTzung Hsiai
Biomedical Engineering and Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Curr Drug Targets 8:1222-9. 2007..Reactive species from a variety of sources further play an important role in plaque disruption partly through lipid oxidation, low-density lipoprotein oxidation nitration, and signaling [3-6]...
- Combined blockade of the chemokine receptors CCR1 and CCR5 attenuates chronic rejectionJames J Yun
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Circulation 109:932-7. 2004..In this study, we sought to determine whether blockade of chemokine receptors CCR1 and CCR5 with Met-RANTES affects the development of CAV in a murine model...
- Identification of a biologically active component in minimally oxidized low density lipoprotein (MM-LDL) responsible for aortic smooth muscle cell proliferationSubroto Chatterjee
Department of Pediatrics, Lipid Signaling and Vascular Biology Laboratory, Lipid Research Atherosclerosis Division, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Glycoconj J 20:331-8. 2004....
- Role for sterol regulatory element-binding protein in activation of endothelial cells by phospholipid oxidation productsMichael Yeh
Department of Medicine, Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, USA
Circ Res 95:780-8. 2004..The current studies suggest a novel role for endothelial cholesterol depletion and subsequent SREBP activation in inflammatory processes in which phospholipid oxidation products accumulate...
- Specific monocyte adhesion to endothelial cells induced by oxidized phospholipids involves activation of cPLA2 and lipoxygenaseJoakim Huber
Department of Vascular Biology and Thrombosis Research, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
J Lipid Res 47:1054-62. 2006..Further analysis of signaling pathways induced by oxidized phospholipids that lead to specific monocyte adhesion should ultimately lead to the development of novel therapeutic approaches against chronic inflammatory diseases...
- Altered activities of anti-atherogenic enzymes LCAT, paraoxonase, and platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase in atherosclerosis-susceptible miceTrudy M Forte
Life Sciences Division MS 1 222, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Lipid Res 43:477-85. 2002..We conclude that impairment of LCAT activity and accumulation of oxidized phospholipids are part of an early atherogenic phenotype in these models...
- Overexpression of interleukin-10 by activated T lymphocytes inhibits atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-deficient Mice by altering lymphocyte and macrophage phenotypesLaura J Pinderski
Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, USA
Circ Res 90:1064-71. 2002..These studies demonstrate that T lymphocyte IL-10 can influence the function of other immune cells to reduce the development of advanced atherosclerotic lesions in mice...
- Endothelial Activation By An Isoprostane PhospholipidJudith Berliner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ENDOTHELIAL ACTIVATION BY AN ISOPROSTANE PHOSPHOLIPIDJudith Berliner; Fiscal Year: 2003..In summary, this interdisciplinary proposal will provide important information about the receptor interactions of the novel epoxy isoprostane phospholipid PEIPC. ..
- Endothelial Activation By An Isoprostane PhospholipidJUDITH ANNE BERLINER; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies thus may provide a new drug target for atherosclerosis and other chronic inflammatory diseases. ..