Constance A Benson
Affiliation: University of California
- CD4 count at presentation for HIV care in the United States and Canada: are those over 50 years more likely to have a delayed presentation?Keri N Althoff
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD, 21205, USA
AIDS Res Ther 7:45. 2010..10%, respectively). Due to the increasing proportion, consistently lower CD4 counts, and more advanced HIV disease in adults ≥50-year-old at first presentation for HIV care, renewed HIV testing efforts are needed...
- Treating opportunistic infections among HIV-infected adults and adolescents: recommendations from CDC, the National Institutes of Health, and the HIV Medicine Association/Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaConstance A Benson
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 53:1-112. 2004..Tables address drugs and doses, drug toxicities, drug interactions, adjustment of drug doses in persons with reduced renal function, and data about use of drugs in pregnant women...
- A randomized trial of treatment interruption before optimized antiretroviral therapy for persons with drug-resistant HIV: 48-week virologic results of ACTG A5086Constance A Benson
University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
J Infect Dis 194:1309-18. 2006..The role of structured treatment interruption (STI) before optimized antiretroviral therapy (ART) in patients with drug-resistant human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) is uncertain...
- Structured treatment interruptions--new findingsConstance A Benson
University of California San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA, USA
Top HIV Med 14:107-11. 2006..This article summarizes a presentation on STI made by Constance A. Benson, MD, at the International AIDS Society-USA course in San Francisco in April 2006...
- Trends in multidrug treatment failure and subsequent mortality among antiretroviral therapy-experienced patients with HIV infection in North AmericaSteven G Deeks
University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, San Diego, CA 94110, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:1582-90. 2009....
- A randomized study of emtricitabine and lamivudine in stably suppressed patients with HIVConstance A Benson
Division of Infectious Disease, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
AIDS 18:2269-76. 2004..CONCLUSION: In stably suppressed patients, 200 mg emtricitabine QD was equivalent to 150 mg lamivudine BID. Emtricitabine-containing HAART was associated with a high rate of sustained virologic suppression during 4 years of follow-up...
- Clinical phase 1 testing of the safety and immunogenicity of an epitope-based DNA vaccine in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected subjects receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyCara C Wilson
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:986-94. 2008....
- The use of pooled viral load testing to identify antiretroviral treatment failureDavey M Smith
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
AIDS 23:2151-8. 2009....
- Performance evaluation of the MBio Diagnostics point-of-care CD4 counterCathy Logan
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California, 9500 Gilman Drive, MC 0711, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
J Immunol Methods 387:107-13. 2013..This preliminary evaluation suggests that the MBio CD4 device holds promise as a POC system for quantitation of CD4 T cells in limited-resource settings...
- Whole-blood interleukin-18 level during early HIV-1 infection is associated with reduced CXCR4 coreceptor expression and interferon- gamma levelsCarrie A Sailer
Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Infect Dis 195:734-8. 2007..During early HIV-1 infection, IL-18 may regulate HIV-1 coreceptor expression and have antiretroviral activity...
- Safety and antiviral activity at 48 weeks of lopinavir/ritonavir plus nevirapine and 2 nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected protease inhibitor-experienced patientsConstance A Benson
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E 9th Avenue, B 168, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Infect Dis 185:599-607. 2002..Mean CD4 cell counts increased by 125 cells/muL. Three patients discontinued therapy for drug-related adverse events...
- A prospective, randomized trial examining the efficacy and safety of clarithromycin in combination with ethambutol, rifabutin, or both for the treatment of disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex disease in persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndromeConstance A Benson
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:1234-43. 2003..057). Subjects in the C+E+R group had improved survival, compared with the C+E group (hazard ratio [HR], 0.44; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.23-0.83) and the C+R group (HR, 0.49; 95% CI, 0.26-0.92)...
- Tuberculosis due to Mycobacterium bovis in patients coinfected with human immunodeficiency virusDaniel Park
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:1343-6. 2010..Patients with M. bovis infection were more likely to have advanced immunosuppression (CD4 T cell counts ≤200 cells/μL). Hispanic ethnicity, male sex, and abdominal disease were strongly associated with M. bovis disease...
- Testosterone supplementation of megestrol therapy does not enhance lean tissue accrual in men with human immunodeficiency virus-associated weight loss: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trialKathleen Mulligan
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:563-70. 2007..Reduced energy intake is a primary factor in HIV-associated wasting. Megestrol acetate (MA) stimulates appetite and weight gain. However, much of the weight gained is fat, possibly as a result of MA-induced hypogonadism...
- Fish oil and fenofibrate for the treatment of hypertriglyceridemia in HIV-infected subjects on antiretroviral therapy: results of ACTG A5186John G Gerber
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 47:459-66. 2008..AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5186 examined the safety and efficacy of fish oil plus fenofibrate in subjects not achieving serum TG levels < or =200 mg/dL with either agent alone...
- Management of metabolic complications associated with antiretroviral therapy for HIV-1 infection: recommendations of an International AIDS Society-USA panelMorris Schambelan
University of California San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 31:257-75. 2002..These recommendations were developed to guide physicians actively involved in HIV care in the management of metabolic complications that occur primarily within the context of potent antiretroviral therapy...
- AIDS clinical trials group longitudinal linked randomized trials (ALLRT): rationale, design, and baseline characteristicsMarlene Smurzynski
Center for Biostatistics in AIDS Research, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
HIV Clin Trials 9:269-82. 2008..We describe the rationale, design, and baseline characteristics of the ALLRT cohort and its potential to address important research questions related to ARV therapy...
- Immunogenetics of CD4 lymphocyte count recovery during antiretroviral therapy: An AIDS Clinical Trials Group studyDavid W Haas
Center for Human Genetics Research, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 37203, USA
J Infect Dis 194:1098-107. 2006..Immune recovery during antiretroviral therapy is a complex phenotype that is influenced by multiple genetic variants. Future studies should validate these tentative associations and define underlying mechanisms...
- Cross-sectional study of endothelial function in HIV-infected patients in BrazilAna Cristina O Andrade
Bahian School of Medicine and Public Health, Bahia, Brazil
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:27-33. 2008..This dysfunction may contribute to the risk for HIV-associated atherosclerosis...
- Prevalence and factors associated with dry skin in HIV infection: the FRAM studyDaniel Lee
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, CA, USA
AIDS 21:2051-7. 2007..Complaints of dry skin in HIV-infected individuals were reported after the advent of HAART. The objective of the study was to evaluate the prevalence of dry skin and associated factors in HIV-infected and control subjects...
- Pretreatment factors associated with 3-year (144-week) virologic and immunologic responses to potent antiretroviral therapyRonald J Bosch
Center for Biostatistics in AIDS Research, Harvard University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:268-77. 2007..To examine pretreatment factors associated with longer term (144 weeks) responses to antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- UCSD Department of Medicine HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials UnitConstance Benson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The outcome of the proposed research will contribute substantially to halting the spread of HIV/AIDS and to improving the lives of those already infected with HIV-1. ADMINISTRATIVE COMPONENT: ..
- ADULT ACTG CENTRAL GROUPConstance Benson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Appendices include the by-laws, SOPs, selected publications, international collaborations, and annual reports. ..