C A Benson
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Clarithromycin or rifabutin alone or in combination for primary prophylaxis of Mycobacterium avium complex disease in patients with AIDS: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The AIDS Clinical Trials Group 196/Terry Beirn Community PrograC A Benson
Rush Medical College Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Infect Dis 181:1289-97. 2000..There were no survival differences. Clarithromycin and combination therapy were more effective than rifabutin for prevention of MAC disease, but combination therapy was associated with more adverse effects (31%; P<.001)...
- Safety and antiviral activity at 48 weeks of lopinavir/ritonavir plus nevirapine and 2 nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected protease inhibitor-experienced patientsConstance A Benson
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E 9th Avenue, B 168, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Infect Dis 185:599-607. 2002..Mean CD4 cell counts increased by 125 cells/muL. Three patients discontinued therapy for drug-related adverse events...
- Effects of Mycobacterium avium complex-infection treatment on cytokine expression in human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons: results of AIDS clinical trials group protocol 853R D MacArthur
Wayne State University, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Infect Dis 181:1486-90. 2000..Nonsignificant decreases in plasma levels of TNF-alpha, IL-1beta, IL-6, and HIV RNA were also seen in those individuals who remained on stable antiretroviral therapy throughout the 8 weeks of the study...
- Recurrences of cytomegalovirus retinitis in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected patient, despite potent antiretroviral therapy and apparent immune reconstitutionS C Johnson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Clin Infect Dis 32:815-9. 2001..In addition, lymphoproliferative responses to CMV antigens were absent despite evidence of reactivity to Candida antigen and pokeweed mitogen. The clinical significance of this case and of other recently reported cases is discussed...
- Body composition in HIV-infected womenB Swanson
Department of Adult Health Nursing, Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nutrition 16:1064-8. 2000..This altered pattern of weight loss may relate to higher premorbid fat stores in women and/or hormonal differences...
- Structured treatment interruption in HIV infectionC A Benson
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
AIDS Read 11:99-102. 2001..The potential dangers of interrupting treatment--recrudescent acute retroviral syndrome, emergence of drug-resistant virus, substantial declines in CD4 T cells, and new or recurrent opportunistic infections--are not theoretic...