Affiliation: University of Texas Health Science Center
- Carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis: a meta-analysisO Benavente
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78284 7883, USA
BMJ 317:1477-80. 1998..To assess the value of carotid endarterectomy for prevention of stroke in patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis...
- Prognosis after transient monocular blindness associated with carotid-artery stenosisO Benavente
Division of Neurology, University of Texas at San Antonio, USA
N Engl J Med 345:1084-90. 2001..Transient monocular blindness associated with internal-carotid-artery stenosis is a risk factor for stroke. The effect of carotid endarterectomy in patients who present with transient monocular blindness has not been determined...
- [Stroke of unusual origin]O Benavente
Universidad de Texas Health Science Center, Texas, USA
Rev Neurol 36:64-7. 2003..Stroke of unusual origin is a heterogeneous syndrome with a number of different aetiologies. Most patients who are affected are young adults and it is often the first manifestation of a systemic disease...
- Small vessel strokesOscar Benavente
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 7:23-8. 2005..Despite its importance, small vessel strokes remain understudied. There is a need for research focused on this prevalent stroke subtype to define optimal interventions to prevent stroke recurrence and cognitive impairment...
- Increased risk of intracranial hemorrhage when aspirin is combined with warfarin: A meta-analysis and hypothesisR G Hart
Department of Medicine Division of Neurology, University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX 78284 7883, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 9:215-7. 1999..Oral anticoagulation with vitamin K antagonists increases the risk of intracranial hemorrhage; whether addition of aspirin to oral anticoagulation augments this risk is unclear...
- Aspirin for the primary prevention of stroke and other major vascular events: meta-analysis and hypothesesR G Hart
Department of Medicine Neurology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284, USA
Arch Neurol 57:326-32. 2000..Aspirin therapy reduces stroke by about 25% for persons with atherosclerotic vascular disease, but the effect in those without clinically apparent vascular disease is distinctly different...
- Recurrent brain hemorrhage is more frequent than ischemic stroke after intracranial hemorrhageR D Bailey
Department of Medicine Neurology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Neurology 56:773-7. 2001..To characterize the rates of recurrent intracranial hemorrhage (ICH), ischemic stroke, and death in survivors of primary ICH...
- Development and progression of leukoaraiosis in patients with brain ischemia and carotid artery diseaseJonathan Y Streifler
Neurology Unit, Rabin Medical Center, Golda Campus, 7 Keren Kayemet St, Petach Tikva 49372, Israel
Stroke 34:1913-6. 2003..The aim of the study was to seek development and progression of LA and associated risk factors in patients with symptomatic carotid artery disease...
- Prognostic importance of leukoaraiosis in patients with symptomatic internal carotid artery stenosisJonathan Y Streifler
Neurology Unit, Rabin Medical Center, Golda Campus, Petach Tikva, Israel
Stroke 33:1651-5. 2002..Patients with widespread LA had the worst prognosis. Despite the higher perioperative risk, endarterectomy reduced the risk of stroke...
- SECONDARY PREVENTION IN SMALL SUBCORTICAL STROKES (SPS3)Oscar Benavente; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- SECONDARY PREVENTION OF SMALL SUBCORTICAL STROKES (SPS3)Oscar Benavente; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of SPS3 will likely lead to important reduction in the burden of serious neurological disease (stroke and vascular dementia) for millions of people with S3, and particularly for Hispanic Americans. ..
- SECONDARY PREVENTION OF SMALL SUBCORTICAL STROKES (SPS3)Oscar Benavente; Fiscal Year: 2009..The purpose of this application is to request support for continuation and completion of the SPS3 trial given the initial recruitment shortfall. The study design and objectives remain unchanged from the original application. ..