Janice F Bell
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Oral health need and access to dental services: evidence from the National Survey of Children's Health, 2007Janice F Bell
Maternal and Child Health Leadership Training Program, Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Matern Child Health J 16:S27-34. 2012..Public health efforts to educate parents to seek early and ongoing preventive oral health care, rather than services in response to problems, may yield oral health benefits later in childhood and over the life course...
- Selection bias in prenatal care use by Medicaid recipientsJanice F Bell
Department of Health Services and the Child Health Institute, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 4920, USA
Matern Child Health J 7:239-52. 2003..This study examines whether four types of selection bias in estimates of the effectiveness of prenatal care utilization for improving birthweight occur in a population of economically disadvantaged women...
- Health-care expenditures of overweight and obese males and females in the medical expenditures panel survey by age cohortJanice F Bell
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:228-32. 2011..Expenditures associated with obesity exceed those associated with overweight. Further research is required to elucidate factors underlying the differences by sex...
- Maternal work and birth outcome disparitiesJanice F Bell
Health Services, University of Washington, Box 357668, Seattle, WA, 98195, USA
Matern Child Health J 12:415-26. 2008..We tested relations between aspects of maternal work and birth outcomes in a national sample and in subgroups known to experience disparities...
- Associations between residential segregation and smoking during pregnancy among urban African-American womenJanice F Bell
Child Health Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Urban Health 84:372-88. 2007..A better understanding of both deleterious and protective contextual influences on smoking during pregnancy could help to inform interventions designed to meet Healthy People 2010 target goals...
- Birth outcomes among urban African-American women: a multilevel analysis of the role of racial residential segregationJanice F Bell
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Soc Sci Med 63:3030-45. 2006..Further research to understand racial/ethnic and economic health disparities could benefit from a focus on the contributory role of neighborhood attributes associated with the dimensions segregation and other social geographies...
- Shortened nighttime sleep duration in early life and subsequent childhood obesityJanice F Bell
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98198 7230, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:840-5. 2010..To test associations between daytime and nighttime sleep duration and subsequent obesity in children and adolescents...
- Jail incarceration and birth outcomesJanice F Bell
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Urban Health 81:630-44. 2004..Efforts to ensure that all pregnant women released from jail have access to enhanced prenatal health services may improve perinatal outcomes for this group of particularly vulnerable women and infants...
- Primary health care quality in a national sample of children and youth with mental health impairmentJanice F Bell
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 4920, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 31:694-704. 2010..To examine the general pediatric health care quality experiences of children and youth with mental health impairment...
- Neighborhood greenness and 2-year changes in body mass index of children and youthJanice F Bell
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7230, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:547-53. 2008..The current study tests whether greenness and residential density are independently associated with 2-year changes in the BMI of children and youth...
- Bullying and quality of life in youths perceived as gay, lesbian, or bisexual in Washington State, 2010Donald L Patrick
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 9455 USA
Am J Public Health 103:1255-61. 2013..We examined the association between perceived sexual orientation (PSO), bullying, and quality of life (QOL) among US adolescents...
- Receipt of preventive oral health care by U.S. children: a population-based study of the 2005-2008 medical expenditure panel surveysColleen E Huebner
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Box 357230, Seattle, WA, 98195 7230, USA
Matern Child Health J 17:1582-90. 2013..Outreach and education should include all parents and especially parents with low levels of education, parents of children with special health care needs and those without health insurance. ..
- Health care use and expenditures associated with access to the medical home for children and youthMelissa A Romaire
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7660, USA
Med Care 50:262-9. 2012..The pediatric medical home is an approach to the delivery of family-centered health care. Policy-makers and payers are interested in potential changes to health care utilization and expenditures under this model...
- Medical home access and health care use and expenditures among children with special health care needsMelissa A Romaire
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific St, PO Box 357660, Seattle, WA 98195 7660, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 166:323-30. 2012..To test associations between having a medical home and health services use and expenditures among US children with special health care needs (CSHCN)...
- Associations of television content type and obesity in childrenFrederick J Zimmerman
Department of Health Services, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Am J Public Health 100:334-40. 2010..We tested the associations of content types of children's television viewing with subsequent body mass index (BMI) to assess the plausibility of different causal pathways...
- Adolescent well-being in Washington state military familiesSarah C Reed
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195 7660, USA
Am J Public Health 101:1676-82. 2011..We examined associations between parental military service and adolescent well-being...
- Assessing the effectiveness of text messages as appointment reminders in a pediatric dental settingTravis M Nelson
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Washington, 1959 N E Pacific St, Box 357136, Health Sciences Center B 242, Seattle, WA 98195 7136, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 142:397-405. 2011..Text messaging is a dominant form of communication in our society. However, little research has been conducted to evaluate its effectiveness as an appointment reminder in the dental setting...
- Certified nurse midwife-attended births: trends in Washington State, 1995-2004Carie G Bussey
Woman Care, PLLC, Olympia, WA, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 52:444-50. 2007..The rate of CNM-attended births doubled in hospitals with high birth volumes. We recommend future research designed to understand these trends...
- Income inequality and physical and mental health: testing associations consistent with proposed causal pathwaysFrederick J Zimmerman
Department of Health Services and Child Health Institute, 6200 NE 74th Street, Suite 210, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98115 8160, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 60:513-21. 2006..To test associations between individual health outcomes and ecological variables proposed in causal models of relations between income inequality and health...
- The causal effect of health insurance on utilization and outcomes in adults: a systematic review of US studiesJoseph D Freeman
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98004, USA
Med Care 46:1023-32. 2008..No current consensus exists on the causal effect of gaining or losing health insurance on health care utilization and health outcomes...
- The medical home, preventive care screenings, and counseling for children: evidence from the Medical Expenditure Panel SurveyMelissa A Romaire
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7660, USA
Acad Pediatr 10:338-45. 2010..This study examined associations between having a medical home and receipt of health screenings and anticipatory guidance...
- Attitudes and intentions of future health care providers toward abortion provisionSolmaz Shotorbani
Department of Pharmacy, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 36:58-63. 2004..However, 87% of all counties had no abortion provider in 2000, and little is known about the attitudes and intentions of future health care providers, including advanced clinical practitioners, regarding abortion provision...
- Perinatal health service use by women released from jailJanice F Bell
Health Services at the University of Washington, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 15:426-42. 2004..Service coordination may increase women's engagement in health services during future pregnancies, with or without subsequent incarceration...