Douglas S Bell
Affiliation: University of California
- Effects of laboratory data exchange in the care of patients with HIVDouglas S Bell
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024, United States
Int J Med Inform 81:e74-82. 2012....
- Depression symptomatology and diagnosis: discordance between patients and physicians in primary care settingsChizobam Ani
Family Medicine Department Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, 2594 Industryway, Lynwood, CA 90262, USA
BMC Fam Pract 9:1. 2008....
- Knowledge retention after an online tutorial: a randomized educational experiment among resident physiciansDouglas S Bell
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1164-71. 2008..The time course of physicians' knowledge retention after learning activities has not been well characterized. Understanding the time course of retention is critical to optimizing the reinforcement of knowledge...
- E-prescribing and the medicare modernization act of 2003Douglas S Bell
RAND, Santa Monica, California, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 24:1159-69. 2005..To optimize the return on Medicare drug spending, the government should consider additional incentives to spur the uptake of more advanced systems...
- Comparing process- and outcome-oriented approaches to voluntary incident reporting in two hospitalsTeryl K Nuckols
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 35:139-45. 2009..These approaches were compared in an analysis of 2,228 paper incident reports for 16,575 randomly selected inpatients at an academic hospital and a community hospital in the United States in 2001...
- Rates and types of events reported to established incident reporting systems in two US hospitalsTeryl K Nuckols
THE RAND CORPORATION, Santa Monica, California, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 16:164-8. 2007..To facilitate substantial improvements in patient safety, the systems should capture incidents reflecting the spectrum of adverse events that are known to occur in hospitals...
- The roulette wheel: an aid to informed decision makingJerome R Hoffman
Department of Emergency Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS Med 3:e137. 2006
- A test of knowledge about prostate cancer screening. Online pilot evaluation among Southern California PhysiciansDouglas S Bell
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:310-4. 2006..Although the benefits of prostate cancer screening are uncertain and guidelines recommend that physicians share the screening decision with their patients, most U.S. men over age 50 are routinely screened, often without counseling...
- A conceptual framework for evaluating outpatient electronic prescribing systems based on their functional capabilitiesDouglas S Bell
RAND Health, Santa Monica, CA, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 11:60-70. 2004..The authors aimed to develop a conceptual framework for anticipating the effects of alternative designs for outpatient e-prescribing systems...
- Is there a digital divide among physicians? A geographic analysis of information technology in Southern California physician officesDouglas S Bell
UCLA Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, 911 Broxton Plaza, Room 314, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1736, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 10:484-93. 2003..The aim of this study was to determine whether physician offices located in high-minority and low-income neighborhoods have different levels of access to information technology than offices located in lower-minority and higher-income areas...
- Functional characteristics of commercial ambulatory electronic prescribing systems: a field studyC Jason Wang
UCLA Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, 911 Broxton Plaza, Room 314, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1736, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 12:346-56. 2005..Electronic prescribing standards should include minimal functional capabilities, and certification of adherence to standards may need to take place where systems are installed and operating...
- Adoption and use of stand-alone electronic prescribing in a health plan-sponsored initiativeJoshua M Pevnick
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Am J Manag Care 16:182-9. 2010....
- A Web-based telemedicine system for diabetic retinopathy screening using digital fundus photographyJack C Wei
Research Center in Minority Institution, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
Telemed J E Health 12:50-7. 2006..This study demonstrates an effective architecture for remote diabetic retinopathy screening...
- Electronic prescribing and HIPAA privacy regulationMichael D Greenberg
RAND Health, 201 North Craig St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Inquiry 41:461-8. 2004....
- Variation in electronic prescribing implementation among twelve ambulatory practicesJesse C Crosson
Department of Family Medicine, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Somerset, NJ 08873, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:364-71. 2008..However, widespread adoption of e-prescribing in ambulatory settings has yet to be realized. The determinants of successful implementation and use in these settings are not well understood...
- Evaluating the teaching of evidence based medicine: conceptual frameworkSharon E Straus
Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street, 9ES-407, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
BMJ 329:1029-32. 2004