Affiliation: University of Central Florida
- SET-C versus fluoxetine in the treatment of childhood social phobiaDeborah C Beidel
Department of Psychology, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL32186, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46:1622-32. 2007..To determine the efficacy of fluoxetine, pill placebo, and Social Effectiveness Therapy for Children (SET-C) for children and adolescents with social phobia...
- Social skills and social phobia: an investigation of DSM-IV subtypesDeborah C Beidel
Department of Psychology, University of Central Florida, 4000 Central Florida Blvd, Orlando, FL 32816, USA
Behav Res Ther 48:992-1001. 2010..The results are discussed in terms of the contribution of skill deficits to the conceptualization and treatment of social phobia...
- Multicomponent behavioral treatment for chronic combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder: a randomized controlled trialDeborah C Beidel
Department of Psychology, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816, United States
J Anxiety Disord 25:224-31. 2011....
- Children with generalized anxiety disorder do not have peer problems, just fewer friendsLindsay Scharfstein
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, USA
Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 42:712-23. 2011..Findings suggest that peer difficulties are not a universal feature of all childhood AD and highlight a need to better understand the social experiences and functioning of children with GAD...
- The relations among measurements of informant discrepancies within a multisite trial of treatments for childhood social phobiaAndres De Los Reyes
Department of Psychology, University of Maryland at College Park, Biology Psychology Building, Room 3123H, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 38:395-404. 2010..These data provide additional empirical support for recent work suggesting that informant discrepancies can meaningfully inform understanding of treatment response as well as variability in treatment outcomes...
- Pretreatment attrition and childhood social phobia: Parental concerns about medicationBrennan J Young
Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA
J Anxiety Disord 20:1133-47. 2006..Results are discussed in terms of the implications for external validity in future psychopharmacological clinical trials...
- Self-report measures in the study of comorbidity in children and adolescents with social phobia: research and clinical utilityAndres G Viana
Department of Psychology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Anxiety Disord 22:781-92. 2008..The potential of self-report measures to further our understanding of childhood anxiety comorbidity and the clinical implications of their use to screen for comorbidity are discussed along with suggestions for further study...
- The Social Thoughts and Beliefs Scale: a new inventory for assessing cognitions in social phobiaSamuel M Turner
Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742 4411, USA
Psychol Assess 15:384-91. 2003..Potential usefulness of the STABS for assessing cognitions associated with social phobia is discussed...
- Differentiating social phobia from shynessNancy A Heiser
Department of Psychology, Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Anxiety Disord 23:469-76. 2009..None of the groups differed on psychophysiological measures. Results are discussed in the context of theoretical models of social phobia...
- Selective mutism: a review and integration of the last 15 yearsAndres G Viana
Department of Psychology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 29:57-67. 2009..Recommendations for future research are made with the goal of expanding the current knowledge base on the etiology of SM...
- Shyness: relationship to social phobia and other psychiatric disordersNancy A Heiser
Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Behav Res Ther 41:209-21. 2003..The results are discussed in terms of the overlap in shyness and social phobia and the relationship of shyness to other psychiatric diagnoses and personality dimensions...
- Assessment and treatment of socially phobic children: a cross cultural comparisonCourtney B Ferrell
Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 33:260-8. 2004..The results are discussed in terms of the applicability of models 0of social phobia and treatment outcome across these 2 ethnic groups...
- Negative self-imagery among adolescents with social phobia: a test of an adult model of the disorderCandice A Alfano
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Children s National Medical Center, George Washington School of Medicine, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 37:327-36. 2008..A significantly fewer number of on-task thoughts reported by IMAG adolescents suggests that inability to attend to the interaction itself, rather the presence of NSI, served to increase anxiety...
- Development of an abbreviated Social Phobia and Anxiety Inventory (SPAI) using item response theory: the SPAI-23Roxann Roberson-Nay
Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of Psychiatry, Richmond, VA 23298 0489, USA
Psychol Assess 19:133-45. 2007..The SPAI-23 has considerable practical benefits, including a screening of both social and agoraphobic anxiety as well as decreased assessment and scoring time...
- Social effectiveness therapy for children: five years laterDeborah C Beidel
Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Behav Ther 37:416-25. 2006..The data indicate that SET-C results in long-term positive effects for youth suffering from social phobia...
- Social anxiety disorder in childhood and adolescence: descriptive psychopathologyPatricia A Rao
Penn State Hershey College of
Behav Res Ther 45:1181-91. 2007..These findings suggest that interventions for SAD need to carefully consider clinical presentation of the disorder as it manifests in childhood and adolescence...
- Preliminary evidence for sleep complaints among children referred for anxietyCandice A Alfano
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street CMSC 346, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Sleep Med 7:467-73. 2006..Clinical observation suggests that sleep complaints are common among youth with anxiety disorders though empirical data documenting this co-occurrence of symptoms are generally unavailable...
- Cognitive correlates of social phobia among children and adolescentsCandice A Alfano
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 34:189-201. 2006..The current findings highlight the importance of considering developmental factors in the presentation and treatment of social phobia in youths...
- Selective mutism: more than social anxiety?Robin Yeganeh
Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders, University of Maryland College Park, USA
Depress Anxiety 23:117-23. 2006..Furthermore, they suggest that oppositional behaviors may be part of the clinical presentation of a subset of children with SM...
- Social effectiveness therapy for children: three-year follow-upDeborah C Beidel
Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders, University of Maryland, College Park, 20742, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:721-5. 2005..These findings support the long-term efficacy of SET-C for children and adolescents suffering from social phobia...
- Reliability of the Social Phobia and Anxiety Inventory (SPAI) Portuguese version in a heterogeneous sample of Brazilian university studentsPatrícia Picon
Post Graduate Program in Medical Sciences Psychiatry, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:124-30. 2005..To evaluate internal consistency and temporal stability trough test re-test reliability of the Portuguese version of the Social Phobia and Anxiety Inventory (SPAI) in a heterogeneous Brazilian sample...
- Clinical distinctions between selective mutism and social phobia: an investigation of childhood psychopathologyRobin Yeganeh
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 42:1069-75. 2003..To investigate the hypothesis that children with selective mutism are more socially anxious than children with social anxiety disorder but who are not selectively mute...
- Fluoxetine in children and adolescents with OCD: a placebo-controlled trialMichael R Liebowitz
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:1431-8. 2002..To examine the safety and efficacy of fluoxetine in child and adolescent obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)...
- Behavior Treatment for Chronic PTSDDeborah Beidel; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., depression); and (4) treatment credibility and satisfaction. This application is submitted under the R21 (Exploratory/Developmental Grants) Mechanism. ..
- TREATMENT OF CHILDHOOD SOCIAL PHOBIADeborah Beidel; Fiscal Year: 2004..Similarly, critical data on the efficacy of fluoxetine will be available. ..
- CHILDHOOD SOCIAL PHOBIA: LONG-TERM FOLLOW-UPDeborah Beidel; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data from this study will be particularly useful because the followup period will cover the children during the age of highest risk for social phobia (15-18 years). ..