Michael A Becker
Affiliation: University of Chicago
- Febuxostat compared with allopurinol in patients with hyperuricemia and goutMichael A Becker
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, USA
N Engl J Med 353:2450-61. 2005..Febuxostat, a novel nonpurine selective inhibitor of xanthine oxidase, is a potential alternative to allopurinol for patients with hyperuricemia and gout...
- Update on emerging urate-lowering therapiesSaima Chohan
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Illinois, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 21:143-9. 2009..To discuss currently available urate-lowering therapeutic options for gout in the United States and newer therapeutic initiatives in development...
- An open-label, 6-month study of allopurinol safety in gout: The LASSO studyMichael A Becker
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medicine, MC0930, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637 Electronic address
Semin Arthritis Rheum 45:174-83. 2015..The objective of this open-label study was to investigate the safety and efficacy of allopurinol under conditions where investigators were encouraged to titrate to optimal, medically appropriate doses...
- Diabetes and gout: efficacy and safety of febuxostat and allopurinolM A Becker
Pritzker School of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 15:1049-55. 2013..Assess influences of demographics and co-morbidities of gout patients with or without diabetes on safety and efficacy of urate-lowering agents...
- Long-term safety of pegloticase in chronic gout refractory to conventional treatmentMichael A Becker
Rheumatology Section, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60611 1713, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 72:1469-74. 2013..To evaluate the long-term safety (up to 3 years) of treatment with pegloticase in patients with refractory chronic gout...
- Treating hyperuricemia of gout: safety and efficacy of febuxostat and allopurinol in older versus younger subjectsMichael A Becker
University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 30:1011-7. 2011....
- Biologic activity and safety of belimumab, a neutralizing anti-B-lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) monoclonal antibody: a phase I trial in patients with systemic lupus erythematosusRichard Furie
Division of Rheumatology and Allergy Clinical Immunology, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Marcus Avenue, Lake Success, New York 11042, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 10:R109. 2008....
- The urate-lowering efficacy and safety of febuxostat in the treatment of the hyperuricemia of gout: the CONFIRMS trialMichael A Becker
The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, MC0930, University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 S, Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R63. 2010..The purpose of this study was to compare urate-lowering (UL) efficacy and safety of daily febuxostat and allopurinol in subjects with gout and serum urate (sUA) > or = 8.0 mg/dL in a six-month trial...
- Clinical efficacy and safety of successful longterm urate lowering with febuxostat or allopurinol in subjects with goutMichael A Becker
University of Chicago Medical Center, Pritzker School of Medicine, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Rheumatol 36:1273-82. 2009..To determine longterm urate-lowering efficacy and clinical benefits and safety of therapy with febuxostat or allopurinol in subjects with gout...
- Determinants of the clinical outcomes of gout during the first year of urate-lowering therapyMichael A Becker
Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 27:585-91. 2008..The complex relationship between urate-lowering and clinical outcome early in treatment has implications for both clinical and investigative approaches to urate-lowering management...
- We can make gout management more successful nowMichael A Becker
Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 20:167-72. 2008....
- Febuxostat, a novel nonpurine selective inhibitor of xanthine oxidase: a twenty-eight-day, multicenter, phase II, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-response clinical trial examining safety and efficacy in patients with goutMichael A Becker
Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:916-23. 2005..0 mg/dl)...
- Hyperuricemia and associated diseasesMichael A Becker
Rheumatology Section, The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 32:275-93, v-vi. 2006..The issue of such a role remains unresolved and this article reviews the current status of the relationship between hyperuricemia and associated disorders...
- Women with gout: efficacy and safety of urate-lowering with febuxostat and allopurinolSaima Chohan
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:256-61. 2012..To compare the characteristics of female versus male gout patients and assess urate-lowering efficacy and safety of febuxostat or allopurinol treatment in women with gout...
- Patient-reported outcomes in chronic gout: a report from OMERACT 10Jasvinder A Singh
Medicine Service, Birmingham Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center and Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Rheumatol 38:1452-7. 2011..To summarize the endorsement of measures of patient-reported outcome (PRO) domains in chronic gout at the 2010 Outcome Measures in Rheumatology Meeting (OMERACT 10)...
- Infusion-related reactions with pegloticase, a recombinant uricase for the treatment of chronic gout refractory to conventional therapyHerbert S B Baraf
From the Center for Rheumatology and Bone Research, Wheaton, MD Reliant Medical Group, Worcester, MA Savient Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Bridgewater, NJ Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC and The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
J Clin Rheumatol 20:427-32. 2014..In clinical trials of pegloticase, a PEGylated uricase developed for treatment of gout refractory to conventional therapy, infusion-related reactions (IRs) were the second most frequent adverse event reported...
- Quality of life and disability in patients with treatment-failure goutMichael A Becker
Division of Biological Sciences, Rheumatology Section, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Rheumatol 36:1041-8. 2009..The relationship between self-reported quality of life and disability and disease severity was evaluated in subjects with treatment-failure gout (n = 110) in a prospective, 52-week, observational study...
- What do I need to know about gout?Michael A Becker
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Fam Pract 59:S1-8. 2010..In addition, most patients with gout eventually require long-term treatment with urate-lowering therapy (ULT) to reverse the chronic urate crystal deposition and to prevent recurrent flares that can cause permanent joint damage...
- Long-term management of gout: nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapiesYashaar Chaichian
Section of Rheumatology, The University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 0930, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 40:357-74. 2014..In this review, available nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies for chronic gout are discussed and a framework is provided for successful achievement and maintenance of goal-range serum urate levels. ..
- Crystal-induced arthropathies: recent investigative advancesMichael H Ellman
University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 18:249-55. 2006..To highlight recent investigations that have stimulated renewed interest in crystal-induced arthropathies...
- Selectivity of febuxostat, a novel non-purine inhibitor of xanthine oxidase/xanthine dehydrogenaseYasuhiro Takano
Pharmaceutical Development Research Laboratories, Teijin Institute for Bio Medical Research, Teijin Pharma Limited, 4 3 2, Asahigaoka Hino, Tokyo 191 8512, Japan
Life Sci 76:1835-47. 2005..These results demonstrate that febuxostat is a potent non-purine, selective inhibitor of XO, and could be useful for the treatment of hyperuricemia and gout...
- Phosphoribosylpyrophosphate synthetase overactivity as a cause of uric acid overproduction in a young womanPablo Garcia-Pavia
La Paz University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 48:2036-41. 2003..This is the first reported instance of PRS overactivity in which the propositus and sole affected family member is a woman...
- Recent developments in our understanding of the renal basis of hyperuricemia and the development of novel antihyperuricemic therapeuticsRobert Terkeltaub
San Diego VAMC Rheumatology Section, and University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 8:S4. 2006..For this reason, our discussion focuses on the development of the novel xanthine oxidase inhibitor febuxostat and modified recombinant uricase preparations...
- Tophaceous gout: quantitative evaluation by direct physical measurementH Ralph Schumacher
Division of Rheumatology, University of Pennsylvania Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Rheumatol 32:2368-72. 2005..This multicenter study assessed intra- and interrater reproducibility of a simple and direct physical measurement...
- Abetimus sodium for renal flare in systemic lupus erythematosus: results of a randomized, controlled phase III trialMario H Cardiel
Hospital General Dr Miguel Silva, Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
Arthritis Rheum 58:2470-80. 2008....
- Outcome evaluations in goutH Ralph Schumacher
Division of Rheumatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Rheumatol 34:1381-5. 2007..Final validation of these outcomes has not yet been achieved. In summary, the unique problems of evaluating outcomes in gout are finally being addressed. While no measures are available for use yet, an agenda has been developed...
- REGULATION OF PURINE NUCLEOTIDE SYNTHESIS IN HUMANSMichael Becker; Fiscal Year: 2001....