S L Beck
Affiliation: University of Utah
- Measuring nurses' impact on health care quality: progress, challenges, and future directionsSusan L Beck
University of Utah College of Nursing, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Med Care 51:S15-22. 2013..The Interdisciplinary Nursing Quality Research Initiative supported interdisciplinary research teams to address gaps in measuring the contributions of nursing to quality care...
- Eccentric exercise versus usual-care with older cancer survivors: the impact on muscle and mobility--an exploratory pilot studyPaul C LaStayo
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
BMC Geriatr 11:5. 2011..The purpose of this exploratory pilot study is to examine whether resistance exercise via negative eccentrically-induced work (RENEW) improves muscle and mobility in a diverse sample of older cancer survivors...
- Measuring the quality of care related to pain management: a multiple-method approach to instrument developmentSusan Larsen Beck
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5880, USA
Nurs Res 59:85-92. 2010..Research to document the effects of nursing on patient outcomes such as pain has been limited by the inability to measure the quality of nursing care effectively...
- Core aspects of satisfaction with pain management: cancer patients' perspectivesSusan L Beck
University of Utah College of Nursing, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112 5880, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 39:100-15. 2010..The coexistence of high levels of satisfaction and high levels of pain has been perplexing...
- Symptom experiences and quality of life of rural and urban older adult cancer survivorsSusan L Beck
University of Utah College of Nursing, 10 South 2000 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5880, USA
Cancer Nurs 32:359-69. 2009..Comorbidities were associated with greater symptom intensity and less physical health status. Survivorship care for elderly adults should include a comprehensive geriatric assessment and tailored strategies for symptom management...
- Sleep quality after initial chemotherapy for breast cancerSusan L Beck
University of Utah College of Nursing, 10 South 2000 East, Salt Lake City, UT, 84112 5880, USA
Support Care Cancer 18:679-89. 2010..The goal of this study is to characterize sleep quality and quantity prior to and in the first three nights after initial chemotherapy for breast cancer...
- Prevalence and management of cancer pain in South AfricaS L Beck
University of Utah College of Nursing, 10 S 2000 East Front Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5880, USA
Pain 94:75-84. 2001..Government and non-government leaders, educators, and practitioners must collaborate to address the barriers to effective pain management and to implement improvements in education, health policy, and health care delivery...
- Pain, sleep disturbance, and fatigue in patients with cancer: using a mediation model to test a symptom clusterSusan L Beck
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 32:542. 2005..To test whether sleep disturbance mediates the effect of pain on fatigue...
- Sleep wake disturbances in people with cancer and their caregivers: state of the scienceAnn M Berger
College of Nursing, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 32:E98-126. 2005..To review the state of the science on sleep/wake disturbances in people with cancer and their caregivers...
- Initial Psychometric Properties of the Pain Care Quality Survey (PainCQ)Susan L Beck
University of Utah College of Nursing, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Pain 11:1311-9. 2010..95), comprehensive nursing pain care (k = 3 items; α = .77), and efficacy of pain management (k =4 items; α = .87). Results supported the internal consistency reliability and structural validity of the PainCQ survey with 33 items...
- Psychometric testing of three Chinese fatigue instruments in TaiwanShiow Ching Shun
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 32:155-67. 2006..However, 27% of cancer patients reported that the FSI was difficult for them to complete. Differences in factorial validity between each original scale and its Chinese version indicate a need for further testing in Taiwan...
- Psychometric evaluation of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index in cancer patientsSusan L Beck
University of Utah College of Nursing, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112 5880, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 27:140-8. 2004..Psychometric evaluation supports its internal consistency reliability and construct validity. However, the scoring is rather cumbersome and raises questions regarding level of measurement and appropriate analysis techniques...
- Predictors of adjustment and growth in women with recurrent ovarian cancerJulie Ann Ponto
College of Nursing, Winona State University, Rochester, MN, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 37:357-64. 2010..To analyze predictors of adjustment and growth in women who had experienced recurrent ovarian cancer using components of the Resiliency Model of Family Stress, Adjustment, and Adaptation as a conceptual framework...
- Telephone-linked care for cancer symptom monitoring: a pilot studyKathi H Mooney
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112 5880, USA
Cancer Pract 10:147-54. 2002....
- Clinical assessment of symptom clustersCheryl Lacasse
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 23:106-12. 2007..To review the principles of symptom cluster assessment, choosing appropriate symptom measures, and methods to identify symptom clusters...
- Cancer-related fatigue, depressive symptoms, and functional status: a mediation modelAndrea M Barsevick
Nursing Research, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 510 Township Line Road, Cheltenham, PA 19012, USA
Nurs Res 55:366-72. 2006..Research is needed to sort out and identify symptom clusters as a basis for a rational approach to symptom management...
- Assessing cultural appropriateness of three translated cancer-related fatigue instrumentsShiow Ching Shun
School of Nursing in College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
Cancer Nurs 30:E1-9. 2007..In addition, the result in this study is helpful for clinical nurses to understand expressions of fatigue in cancer patients within the Chinese culture but the meaning of fatigue still needs to be further explored...
- Novel therapiesDouglas E Peterson
Department of Oral Diagnosis, School of Dental Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington 06030 1605, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 20:53-8. 2004..To highlight selected research directed to new drug and device technologies to manage mucositis in cancer patients and to illustrate potential impact of successful therapies...
- Treatment-related symptom clustersNorissa Honea
AOS Foundation, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 23:142-51. 2007..To provide a clinical overview of treatment-related symptom clusters...
- Symptom cluster research: conceptual, design, measurement, and analysis issuesAndrea M Barsevick
Fox Chase Cancer Center, 510 Township Line Road, Cheltenham, PA 19012, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 31:85-95. 2006..It will also provide a scientific basis and new directions for clinical assessment and intervention...
- Visual graphical analysis: a technique to investigate symptom trajectories over timeCarlton G Brown
Nurs Res 56:195-201. 2007..Visual graphical analysis (VGA) is a technique that can provide researchers with an alternative method of quantitative statistical analysis that is more sensitive to individual change and variation...
- Leadership styles and nursing faculty job satisfaction in TaiwanHsiu Chin Chen
Department of Nursing, Utah Valley State College, Orem, UT 84057, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 37:374-80. 2005..To examine nursing faculty job satisfaction and their perceptions of nursing deans' and directors' leadership styles, and to explore how the perceptions of leadership styles relate to faculty job satisfaction in Taiwan...
- Putting evidence into practice: evidence-based interventions for fatigue during and following cancer and its treatmentSandra A Mitchell
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 11:99-113. 2007..In addition to offering patients and clinicians a tool to facilitate effective management of the distressing symptom, this evidence-based review identifies gaps in knowledge and research opportunities...
- Family caregivers' satisfaction with home care for mental illness in TaiwanWei Chen Tung
School of Nursing, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, USA
Int J Ment Health Nurs 16:62-9. 2007..There is a need to improve NHI policy and home care programmes to provide more holistic services for the patients with mental illness and their family...
- Institutionalizing effective pain management practices: practice change programs to improve the quality of pain management in small health care organizationsKaren M Stevenson
Department of Pharmacology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 31:248-61. 2006..The largest changes occurred in long-term care facilities. Nevertheless, the percentage of patients in moderate to severe pain remained unacceptably high...
- Assessing responsiveness of cancer-related fatigue instruments: distribution-based and individual anchor-based methodsShiow Ching Shun
School of Nursing, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Oncologist 12:495-504. 2007....
- Targeted, Tailored and Timely (T3) Symptom Management for Prostate CancerSusan Beck; Fiscal Year: 2007..This program can contribute to increasing knowledge about how to improve quality of life for men with prostate cancer by testing an innovative approach that targets troublesome symptoms and allows men to choose how they want to learn. ..