Margaret Pabst Battin
Affiliation: University of Utah
- Are there characteristics of infectious diseases that raise special ethical issues?Charles B Smith
Division of Medical Ethics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112 USA
Dev World Bioeth 4:1-16. 2004....
- Legal physician-assisted dying in Oregon and the Netherlands: evidence concerning the impact on patients in "vulnerable" groupsMargaret P Battin
Department of Philosophy, Division of Medical Ethics and Humanities, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Med Ethics 33:591-7. 2007..To assess this concern, the authors examined data from Oregon and the Netherlands, the two principal jurisdictions in which physician-assisted dying is legal and data have been collected over a substantial period...
- The irony of supporting physician-assisted suicide: a personal accountMargaret Pabst Battin
Department of Philosophy and Division of Medical Ethics and Humanities, University of Utah, CTIHB, 215 S Central Campus Drive, Fourth Floor, Salt Lake City, UT 84103, USA
Med Health Care Philos 13:403-11. 2010..This is a detailed portrait of a man whose life involves extraordinary suffering but also luminous experience some of the time. It only makes the question harder: What if he wanted to die?..
- How infectious diseases got left out--and what this omission might have meant for bioethicsLeslie P Francis
Division of Medical Ethics, Salt Lake City, UT 84143, USA
Bioethics 19:307-22. 2005..We conclude by applying this reunderstanding of agency to the examples of informed consent and distributive justice in health care...
- Right question, but not quite the right answer: whether there is a third alternative in choices about euthanasia in Alzheimer's diseaseMargaret P Battin
University of Utah, USA
Am J Bioeth 7:58-60; discussion W4-6. 2007
- Scott Ames: a man giving up on himselfJohn T Maltsberger
The University of Utah, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 33:331-7. 2003
- Motivations for physician-assisted suicideRobert A Pearlman
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle Division, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:234-9. 2005..To obtain detailed narrative accounts of patients' motivations for pursuing physician-assisted suicide (PAS)...
- Ethics forum. 75-year-old man has end-stage prostate cancer with metastases to boneBen A Rich
University of California, Davis Sacramento, California, USA
Pain Med 6:459-63. 2005
- Should rapid tests for HIV infection now be mandatory during pregnancy? Global differences in scarcity and a dilemma of technological advanceCharles B Smith
University of Utah School of Medicine, USA
Dev World Bioeth 7:86-103. 2007..In light of these conflicts, where they still occur, careful processes of informed consent are appropriate, rather than opt-out or mandatory testing...