Affiliation: University of California
- Nutritional determinants of worldwide diabetes: an econometric study of food markets and diabetes prevalence in 173 countriesSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, Room M 987, San Francisco, CA 94131, USA
Public Health Nutr 16:179-86. 2013..We sought to determine what socio-economic and dietary factors are the most significant population-level contributors to diabetes prevalence rates internationally...
- Comparative performance of private and public healthcare systems in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic reviewSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 9:e1001244. 2012..We performed a systematic review of research studies investigating the performance of private and public sector delivery in low- and middle-income countries...
- Financing the Millennium Development Goals for health and beyond: sustaining the 'Big Push'Gorik Ooms
Oxford University, Department of Sociology, Christ Church, Meadow Flat, Oxford OXL1DP, UK
Global Health 6:17. 2010..Such a Fund could use established and effective strategies for aid delivery to mitigate many financial problems currently undermining the Millennium Development Goals initiative...
- Addressing institutional amplifiers in the dynamics and control of tuberculosis epidemicsSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, University of California, Division of General Internal Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:30-7. 2011..However, reducing the total population size entering institutional amplifiers significantly lowered tuberculosis incidence and the risk of propagating new drug-resistant tuberculosis strains...
- Projected effects of tobacco smoking on worldwide tuberculosis control: mathematical modelling analysisSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
BMJ 343:d5506. 2011..Smoking has been linked to increased individual risk of tuberculosis infection and mortality, but it remains unclear how these risks affect population-wide tuberculosis rates...
- The relationship of sugar to population-level diabetes prevalence: an econometric analysis of repeated cross-sectional dataSanjay Basu
Stanford Prevention Research Center, Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e57873. 2013..Differences in sugar availability statistically explain variations in diabetes prevalence rates at a population level that are not explained by physical activity, overweight or obesity...
- The effect of tobacco control measures during a period of rising cardiovascular disease risk in India: a mathematical model of myocardial infarction and strokeSanjay Basu
Prevention Research Center, Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 10:e1001480. 2013..We simulated tobacco control and pharmacological strategies for preventing cardiovascular deaths in India, the country that is expected to experience more cardiovascular deaths than any other over the next decade...