Affiliation: University of California
- Molecular cytogenetic analysis of Spitz nevi shows clear differences to melanomaB C Bastian
Cancer Genetics Program, Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, 94143 0808, USA
J Invest Dermatol 113:1065-9. 1999....
- Molecular genetics of melanocytic neoplasia: practical applications for diagnosisBoris C Bastian
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Pathology 36:458-61. 2004..This article reviews recent molecular studies that have revealed differences in the pattern of chromosomal aberrations between naevi and melanoma that could become relevant as adjunctive diagnostic methods in the future...
- Classifying melanocytic tumors based on DNA copy number changesBoris C Bastian
Departments of Pathology and Dermatology, Dermatopathology Section, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0808, USA
Am J Pathol 163:1765-70. 2003..In addition, we show marked differences in the genetic make-up of melanomas that depend on anatomical location and sun-exposure pattern indicating that potential therapeutic targets might vary among melanoma types...
- Understanding the progression of melanocytic neoplasia using genomic analysis: from fields to cancerBoris C Bastian
Departments of Dermatology and Pathology, UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Oncogene 22:3081-6. 2003..Genomic analysis is a powerful tool to obtain insight in the progression of melanocytic neoplasms with potential clinical applications for classification and detection of minimal residual melanoma...
- The longer your telomeres, the larger your nevus?Boris C Bastian
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, 94115, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 25:83-4. 2003
- Genetic changes in neoplasms arising in congenital melanocytic nevi: differences between nodular proliferations and melanomasBoris C Bastian
Department of Dermatology and Pathology, University of California at San Francisco Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0808, USA
Am J Pathol 161:1163-9. 2002..This difference compared to the aberration pattern found in melanoma might explain their more benign clinical behavior and may be of diagnostic value in ambiguous cases...
- Gene amplifications characterize acral melanoma and permit the detection of occult tumor cells in the surrounding skinB C Bastian
Cancer Center, Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, 94143 0808, USA
Cancer Res 60:1968-73. 2000....
- Mutations and copy number increase of HRAS in Spitz nevi with distinctive histopathological featuresB C Bastian
Departments of Dermatology and Pathology and UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0808, USA
Am J Pathol 157:967-72. 2000..Although there is no data suggesting that Spitz nevi with HRAS activation are at risk for progression to melanoma, future studies are warranted to assess their biological behavior more accurately...
- Genomic analysis of melanocytic neoplasiaJurgen Bauer
University of California at San Francisco Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Adv Dermatol 21:81-99. 2005
- Distinguishing melanocytic nevi from melanoma by DNA copy number changes: comparative genomic hybridization as a research and diagnostic toolJurgen Bauer
Departments of Dermatology and Pathology, UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0808, USA
Dermatol Ther 19:40-9. 2006..In addition to potential diagnostic applications, detailed analyses of recurrent aberrations can lead to the identification of genes relevant in melanocytic neoplasia...
- Use of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) to distinguish intranodal nevus from metastatic melanomaScott R Dalton
Department of Pathology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 34:231-7. 2010..Our data indicate that FISH is a useful adjunct tool to traditional methods in the diagnostic workup of deposits of melanocytes in lymph nodes that are histopathologically ambiguous...
- Improving melanoma classification by integrating genetic and morphologic featuresAmaya Viros
Department of Dermatology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 5:e120. 2008....
- Persistent (recurrent) Spitz nevi: a histopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular pathologic study of 22 casesJeff D Harvell
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:654-61. 2002..Although ancillary molecular techniques such as CGH are of great help in distinguishing these from melanoma, until such techniques become widely available we advocate complete but conservative excision of any recurrent Spitz nevus...
- Mechanisms of cell-cycle arrest in Spitz nevi with constitutive activation of the MAP-kinase pathwayJanet L Maldonado
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Am J Pathol 164:1783-7. 2004..We propose that in benign nevi with constitutive activation of the MAP-kinase pathway, p16 functions as an essential mediator of oncogene-induced senescence preventing progression to melanoma...
- Distinct sets of genetic alterations in melanomaJohn A Curtin
Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0808, USA
N Engl J Med 353:2135-47. 2005..We hypothesized that the clinical heterogeneity is explained by genetically distinct types of melanoma with different susceptibility to ultraviolet light...
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) as an ancillary diagnostic tool in the diagnosis of melanomaPedram Gerami
Department of Dermatology and the Lurie Cancer Center, Northwestern University, The Feinberg School of Medicine University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:1146-56. 2009..As a diagnostic aid to traditional histologic evaluation, this assay can have significant clinical impact and improve classification of melanocytic neoplasms with conflicting morphologic criteria...
- Cyclin D1 is a candidate oncogene in cutaneous melanomaEdward R Sauter
Department of Dermatology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cancer Res 62:3200-6. 2002..However, it did not alter the growth of normal melanocytes. Together, these results suggest that CD1 may be an oncogene in melanoma and that targeting its expression may be therapeutically beneficial...
- Somatic activation of KIT in distinct subtypes of melanomaJohn A Curtin
Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0808, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4340-6. 2006..This raises the question of whether other aberrations are occurring in the MAP kinase cascade in the melanoma types with infrequent mutations of BRAF and NRAS...
- Genomic analysis of blue nevi and related dermal melanocytic proliferationsJohn C Maize
Department of Dermatology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:1214-20. 2005..Ambiguous lesions can be separated into lesions with and without chromosomal aberrations. Future studies with clinical follow-up are necessary to determine which aberrations are most informative for classification of these lesions...
- Molecular cytogenetics as a diagnostic tool for typing melanocytic tumorsBoris C Bastian
Comprehensive Cancer Center and Department of Dermatology and Pathology, University of California, San Francisco 94115, USA
Recent Results Cancer Res 160:92-9. 2002..As this aberration has not been observed in melanomas, the measurement of chromosomal aberrations should be further evaluated as a diagnostic tool for ambiguous melanocytic tumors...
- Atypical junctional melanocytic proliferations in benign lichenoid keratosisScott R Dalton
Department of Pathology, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, USA
Hum Pathol 34:706-9. 2003..Pathologists should approach a diagnosis of BLK cautiously in the setting of severely sun-damaged skin...
- The prevalence and prognostic value of BRAF mutation in thyroid cancerElectron Kebebew
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 1674, USA
Ann Surg 246:466-70; discussion 470-1. 2007..To examine the prevalence of BRAF mutation among thyroid cancer histologic subtypes and determine the association of BRAF mutation with indicators of poor prognosis for papillary thyroid cancer and patient outcome...
- Determinants of BRAF mutations in primary melanomasJanet L Maldonado
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1878-90. 2003..The high mutation frequency in melanomas arising on intermittently sun-exposed skin suggests a complex causative role of such exposure that mandates further evaluation...
- Distribution and significance of occult intraepidermal tumor cells surrounding primary melanomaJeffrey P North
UCSF School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 128:2024-30. 2008..These field cells provide a plausible explanation for the tendency of certain melanoma types to recur locally despite apparently having undergone complete excision...
- KIT as a therapeutic target in melanomaMaria C Garrido
Department of Dermatology and UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 130:20-7. 2010....
- Lack of somatic alterations of MC1R in primary melanomaR D Kim
Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 21:579-82. 2008..In conclusion, our findings indicate that MC1R is not a frequent target of somatic alterations in melanoma...
- Frequent p16-independent inactivation of p14ARF in human melanomaDaniel E Freedberg
Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Ave, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:784-95. 2008....
- Elevated cutaneous Smad activation associates with enhanced skin tumor susceptibility in organ transplant recipientsKelly A Harradine
UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:5101-7. 2009..This study investigates whether TGF-beta signaling is elevated in transplant patients...
- Congenital melanocytic nevi frequently harbor NRAS mutations but no BRAF mutationsJurgen Bauer
Department of Dermatology, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 127:179-82. 2007..The results are consistent with the finding in melanoma that BRAF mutations are uncommon in neoplasms that develop in the absence of sun-exposure...
- Hypothesis: a role for telomere crisis in spontaneous regression of melanomaBoris C Bastian
Arch Dermatol 139:667-8. 2003
- PI3-kinase subunits are infrequent somatic targets in melanomaJohn A Curtin
J Invest Dermatol 126:1660-3. 2006
- MC1R variants increase risk of melanomas harboring BRAF mutationsMaria Concetta Fargnoli
Department of Dermatology, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
J Invest Dermatol 128:2485-90. 2008..This study confirms that the known MC1R-melanoma risk association is confined to subjects whose melanomas harbor BRAF mutations...
- Anti-oncogenic role of the endoplasmic reticulum differentially activated by mutations in the MAPK pathwayChristophe Denoyelle
Department of Dermatology and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, 1500E Medical Center Drive, 4217 CCGC, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Nat Cell Biol 8:1053-63. 2006..These results argue against premature senescence as a converging mechanism of response to activating oncogenes and support a direct role of the ER as a gatekeeper of tumour control...
- Beta-catenin induces immortalization of melanocytes by suppressing p16INK4a expression and cooperates with N-Ras in melanoma developmentVeronique Delmas
Developmental Genetics of Melanocytes, UMR 146, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique Institut Curie, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
Genes Dev 21:2923-35. 2007..The results reveal that synergy between the Wnt and mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase pathways may represent an important mechanism underpinning the genesis of melanoma, a highly aggressive and increasingly common disease...
- Genetic analysis of Pten and Ink4a/Arf interactions in the suppression of tumorigenesis in miceMingjian James You
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:1455-60. 2002..This study provides genetic evidence of collaboration between Pten and Ink4a/Arf in constraining the growth and oncogenic transformation of cultured cells and in suppressing a wide spectrum of tumors in vivo...
- Two cases of unusual acral melanocytic tumors: illustration of molecular cytogenetics as a diagnostic toolMinoru Takata
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Takara machi, Kanazawa, Japan
Hum Pathol 34:89-92. 2003..5 years of follow-up, whereas case 2 developed lymph node metastasis. We conclude that molecular techniques such as CGH can be of diagnostic help in the classification of histologically ambiguous lesions...
- Establishment of a novel melanoma cell line SMYM-PRGP showing cytogenetic and biological characteristics of the radial growth phase of acral melanomasHiroshi Murata
Department of Dermatology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Cancer Sci 98:958-63. 2007..SMYM-PRGP is an excellent tool for investigating the development and progression of acral melanoma...
- Consumption of the epidermis: a diagnostic criterion for the differential diagnosis of melanoma and Spitz nevusMarkus Hantschke
Dermatopathologische Gemeinschaftspraxis, Friedrichshafen, Germany
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1621-5. 2004..Future studies are required to analyze the prognostic value of COE itself...
- Dose-dependent, complete response to imatinib of a metastatic mucosal melanoma with a K642E KIT mutationJose Lutzky
Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 21:492-3. 2008
- A full-coverage, high-resolution human chromosome 22 genomic microarray for clinical and research applicationsPatrick G Buckley
Department of Genetics and Pathology, Rudbeck Laboratory, Uppsala University, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Hum Mol Genet 11:3221-9. 2002..Furthermore, comprehensive epigenetic profiling of 22q-located genes and high-resolution analysis of replication timing across the entire chromosome can be studied using our array...
- Absence of PDGFRA mutations in primary melanomaJohn A Curtin
J Invest Dermatol 128:488-9. 2008
- In melanoma, RAS mutations are accompanied by switching signaling from BRAF to CRAF and disrupted cyclic AMP signalingNicolas Dumaz
Signal Transduction Team, The Institute for Cancer Research, Cancer Research UK Centre of Cell and Molecular Biology, London, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 66:9483-91. 2006..These data have important implications for the development of therapeutic strategies to treat this life-threatening disease...
- MC1R germline variants confer risk for BRAF-mutant melanomaMaria Teresa Landi
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Science 313:521-2. 2006..In this tumor subtype, the risk for melanoma associated with MC1R is due to an increase in risk of developing melanomas with BRAF mutations...
- Expanding the genetic spectrum of pigmentationBoris C Bastian
Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 21:507-8. 2008
- Classification of ambiguous melanocytic tumorsBoris Bastian; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, this project will provide a detailed view of the aberrations found in melanocytic tumors, their prevalence and prognostic relevance. ..
- Biomarker Discovery for the Classification of MelanomaBoris Bastian; Fiscal Year: 2009..The goal of this project is the discovery of markers that improve classification, diagnosis, and stratification for therapy. ..
- The GNAQ pathway as a therapeutic target in uveal melanomaBoris C Bastian; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this project is to study its function and develop rationally-based treatment strategies and to discover the equivalent genetic alterations in the remaining 50% of uveal melanomas. ..
- Biomarker Discovery for the Classification of MelanomaBoris C Bastian; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this project is the discovery of markers that improve classification, diagnosis, and stratification for therapy. ..