Daniel W Barry
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Patient and physician perceptions of timely access to careDaniel W Barry
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:130-3. 2006..Timeliness of care is 1 of 6 dimensions of quality identified in Crossing the Quality Chasm. We compared patient and physician perceptions of appropriate timing of visits for common medical problems...
- Acute effects of 2 hours of moderate-intensity cycling on serum parathyroid hormone and calciumDaniel W Barry
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Campus Stop B 179, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 80:359-65. 2007..The study demonstrated that prolonged exercise stimulates PTH secretion. The effects of such transient increases in PTH on bone metabolism are not known...
- Acute calcium ingestion attenuates exercise-induced disruption of calcium homeostasisDaniel W Barry
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:617-23. 2011....
- Muscle forces or gravity: what predominates mechanical loading on bone?Wendy M Kohrt
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 41:2050-5. 2009....
- Timing of ibuprofen use and bone mineral density adaptations to exercise trainingWendy M Kohrt
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO 80045, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:1415-22. 2010..This preliminary study suggests that taking NSAIDs after exercise enhances the adaptive response of BMD to exercise, whereas taking NSAIDs before may impair the adaptive response...
- Effects of testosterone and progressive resistance exercise in healthy, highly functioning older men with low-normal testosterone levelsKerry L Hildreth
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:1891-900. 2013..Aging in men is associated with reduced testosterone (T) levels and physiological changes leading to frailty, but the benefits of T supplementation are inconclusive...
- Exercise and the preservation of bone healthDaniel W Barry
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 28:153-62. 2008..Although the optimal exercise routine for bone health is unknown, components of an osteogenic program are discussed...
- Clinical and laboratory diagnosis of acute renal failureRobert J Anderson
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center, 4200 East 9th Avenue, Box 8 180, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 18:1-20. 2004..Response to therapeutic trials may provide a diagnosis. When a diagnosis cannot be made with reasonable certainty through this evaluation renal biopsy should be considered...
- BMD decreases over the course of a year in competitive male cyclistsDaniel W Barry
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:484-91. 2008..BMD decreased significantly at the total hip, neck, trochanter, and shaft regions but not the lumbar spine. This first prospective study of cyclists showed a decrease in BMD over the course of 1 yr...
- When energy balance is maintained, exercise does not induce negative fat balance in lean sedentary, obese sedentary, or lean endurance-trained individualsEdward L Melanson
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Center for Human Nutrition, University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:1847-56. 2009..e., energy balance is maintained), 24-h fat oxidation does not increase and in fact, may be slightly decreased. It appears that the state of energy balance is an underappreciated factor determining the impact of exercise on fat oxidation...