Daniel W Barry
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Acute effects of 2 hours of moderate-intensity cycling on serum parathyroid hormone and calciumDaniel W Barry
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Campus Stop B 179, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 80:359-65. 2007..The study demonstrated that prolonged exercise stimulates PTH secretion. The effects of such transient increases in PTH on bone metabolism are not known...
- BMD decreases over the course of a year in competitive male cyclistsDaniel W Barry
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:484-91. 2008..BMD decreased significantly at the total hip, neck, trochanter, and shaft regions but not the lumbar spine. This first prospective study of cyclists showed a decrease in BMD over the course of 1 yr...
- Increasing dietary fat elicits similar changes in fat oxidation and markers of muscle oxidative capacity in lean and obese humansAudrey Bergouignan
Center for Human Nutrition, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e30164. 2012....
- Acute calcium ingestion attenuates exercise-induced disruption of calcium homeostasisDaniel W Barry
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:617-23. 2011....
- Muscle forces or gravity: what predominates mechanical loading on bone?Wendy M Kohrt
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 41:2050-5. 2009....
- Timing of ibuprofen use and bone mineral density adaptations to exercise trainingWendy M Kohrt
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO 80045, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:1415-22. 2010..This preliminary study suggests that taking NSAIDs after exercise enhances the adaptive response of BMD to exercise, whereas taking NSAIDs before may impair the adaptive response...
- Exercise and the preservation of bone healthDaniel W Barry
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 28:153-62. 2008..Although the optimal exercise routine for bone health is unknown, components of an osteogenic program are discussed...
- When energy balance is maintained, exercise does not induce negative fat balance in lean sedentary, obese sedentary, or lean endurance-trained individualsEdward L Melanson
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Center for Human Nutrition, University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Appl Physiol 107:1847-56. 2009..e., energy balance is maintained), 24-h fat oxidation does not increase and in fact, may be slightly decreased. It appears that the state of energy balance is an underappreciated factor determining the impact of exercise on fat oxidation...