Affiliation: University of Rochester
- Telephone ownership and deaf people: implications for telephone surveysS Barnett
Primary Care Institute, Highland Hospital, Rochester, New York, USA
Am J Public Health 89:1754-6. 1999..This study was done to determine the prevalence of telephone ownership in different deaf populations and to explore its implications for telephone-based surveys...
- Deaf sign language users, health inequities, and public health: opportunity for social justiceSteven Barnett
Family Medicine Research Programs, 1381 South Ave, Rochester, NY 14620 E mail Dr Barnett is also affiliated with the Rochester Prevention Research Center, National Center for Deaf Health Research the University of Rochester Department of Family Medicine and the University of Rochester Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Rochester, New York
Prev Chronic Dis 8:A45. 2011..We describe 4 issues that underlie health inequities experienced by deaf sign language users and propose 6 public health approaches to address these health and health care inequities to promote health and prevent chronic diseases...
- Cross-cultural communication with patients who use American Sign LanguageSteven Barnett
Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Fam Med 34:376-82. 2002..Although American Sign Language (ASL) is the third most commonly used primary language in the United States, physicians are often not adequately prepared for the challenges of conducting an interview with a deafpatient who signs...
- Communication with deaf and hard-of-hearing people: a guide for medical educationSteven Barnett
Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
Acad Med 77:694-700. 2002....
- Health-related vocabulary knowledge among deaf adultsRobert Q Pollard
Deaf Wellness Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester School of Medicine
Rehabil Psychol 54:182-5. 2009..Deaf individuals are at particular risk for low health literacy, but no research has been conducted on this topic...
- Community participatory research with deaf sign language users to identify health inequitiesSteven Barnett
Department of Family Medicine, Rochester Prevention Research Center National Center for Deaf Health Research, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Am J Public Health 101:2235-8. 2011..g., a low prevalence of current smokers) and 3 glaring health inequities: obesity, partner violence, and suicide. This collaborative work represents the first time a deaf community has used its own data to identify health priorities...
- Role-reversal exercise with Deaf Strong Hospital to teach communication competency and cultural awarenessJennifer L Mathews
Wegmans School of Pharmacy, St John Fisher College, Rochester, NY 14618, USA
Am J Pharm Educ 75:53. 2011..To implement a role-reversal exercise to increase first-year pharmacy students' awareness of communication barriers in the health care setting, especially for deaf and hard-of-hearing patients...
- A hearing problemSteven Barnett
Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, New York, USA
Am Fam Physician 66:911-2, 915. 2002
- Hearing loss and older adults' perceptions of access to careNancy Pandhi
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
J Community Health 36:748-55. 2011..Resources should be made available to proactively address these issues for those who are hard-of-hearing and to educate providers about the specific needs of this population...
- Health care utilization and adults who are deaf: relationship with age at onset of deafnessSteven Barnett
Family Medicine Center, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Health Serv Res 37:105-20. 2002..To evaluate the health care utilization of a nationally representative sample of U.S. deaf adults while accounting for the age at onset of deafness, an indicator of linguistic and sociocultural group affiliation...
- Racial disparity in surgical complications in New York StateKevin Fiscella
Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA
Ann Surg 242:151-5. 2005..To examine the relationship between race and surgical complications...
- The Rochester Prevention Research CenterThomas Pearson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The RPRC will serve as a model for other Centers which target populations with disabilities. ..
- Deaf People and HealthcareSteven Barnett; Fiscal Year: 2007DESCRIPTION (provided by the applicant): Steven Barnett MD is a family physician whose career has focused on healthcare with deaf people and families who communicate in American Sign Language (ASL)...