Mitchell J Barnett
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Comparison of risk of cerebrovascular events in an elderly VA population with dementia between antipsychotic and nonantipsychotic usersMitchell J Barnett
Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice, Veterans Administration Hospital, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:595-601. 2007..This study examined the risk of a CVE in patients diagnosed with Alzheimer or vascular dementia while being treated with SGA, first-generation antipsychotics, or no antipsychotic medication...
- Comparison of rates of potentially inappropriate medication use according to the Zhan criteria for VA versus private sector medicare HMOsMitchell J Barnett
Health Services Research Specialist, Iowa City VAMC, Highway 1, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 12:362-70. 2006..Inappropriate prescribing in the elderly is common, but rates across different health care systems and the impact of formulary restrictions are not well described...
- Risk of mortality associated with antipsychotic and other neuropsychiatric drugs in pneumonia patientsMitchell J Barnett
The Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice, Iowa City Veterans Administration Hospital, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:182-7. 2006..To evaluate the use of typical and atypical antipsychotic medications and associated in-hospital mortality in a group of Veterans Administration (VA) patients with pneumonia...
- Assessing the accuracy of computerized medication historiesPeter J Kaboli
Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice at the Iowa City VA Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:872-7. 2004..To determine the accuracy of computerized medication histories...
- beta-Blocker therapy in veterans with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMitchell J Barnett
Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice, Iowa City Veterans Administration Medical Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52246, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1550-9. 2005..When clinically indicated, beta-blockers-especially atenolol-should be considered for patients with asthma or COPD...
- Associations with reduced length of stay and costs on an academic hospitalist servicePeter J Kaboli
Research Service, Iowa City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:561-8. 2004..Prior studies of hospitalist services have suggested improved efficiency and quality of care compared with traditional inpatient services...
- Patient and provider perceptions of hypertension treatment: do they agree?Peter J Kaboli
Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice CSIISP at the Iowa City Veterans Affairs Healthcare Systems, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 9:416-23. 2007..Patients and providers differed in perceived value of various aspects of hypertension management; this information may help to determine trial design and quality improvement strategies in the future...
- Predicting resource utilization in a Veterans Health Administration primary care population: comparison of methods based on diagnoses and medicationsTerry L Wahls
Medical Service, Iowa City VA Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Med Care 42:123-8. 2004..The findings suggest that diagnosis-based measures could be preferable for ambulatory case-mix adjustment and are valid across a wide range of populations...
- Age and the risk of in-hospital death: insights from a multihospital study of intensive care patientsGary E Rosenthal
Research Service, Iowa City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1205-12. 2002..To determine independent relationships between age and the risk of in-hospital death...
- Anticholinergic medications in community-dwelling older veterans: prevalence of anticholinergic symptoms, symptom burden, and adverse drug eventsJose Ness
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52246, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 4:42-51. 2006..01). Anticholinergic-related ADEs were rare (0.8%). Although anticholinergic drugs should generally be avoided in the elderly, individual risks and benefits for a patient should be considered...
- The association of alcohol-induced blackouts and grayouts to blood alcohol concentrationsPaul J Perry
Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy Division, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Forensic Sci 51:896-9. 2006..This finding clinically concludes that subjects with BAC of 310 g/dL or greater have a 0.50 or greater probability of having an alcoholic blackout...
- Differences in length of stay in Veterans Health Administration and other United States hospitals: is the gap closing?Gary E Rosenthal
Program in Interdisciplinary Research in Health Care Organization, Iowa City VA Medical Center, and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, 52242, USA
Med Care 41:882-94. 2003..Compare risk-adjusted length of stay (LOS) in VA and other United States (non-VA) hospitals and determine if relative differences in LOS have changed in recent years...
- Limitations of hospital volume as a measure of quality of care for coronary artery bypass graft surgeryKarl F Welke
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:2114-9. 2005..The objective of this study is to quantify the relationship between hospital volume alone and CABG mortality...
- Day of the week of intensive care admission and patient outcomes: a multisite regional evaluationMitchell J Barnett
Program for Interdisciplinary Research in Health Care Organization, Iowa City VA Medical Center and the Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, 52246, USA
Med Care 40:530-9. 2002..However, the similar risk for death in patients admitted on Friday and Monday suggests that "weekend effects" may be more related to unmeasured severity of illness and/or selection bias than to differences in quality of care...
- The relationship between hearing impairment and depression in older veteransThad E Abrams
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1475-7. 2006
- Hepatitis C virus-infected patients report communication problems with physiciansSusan Zickmund
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh College of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hepatology 39:999-1007. 2004..These should target both specialists and primary care providers to inform them about the psychosocial challenges facing these patients...