Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Gralinski L, Sheahan T, Morrison T, Menachery V, Jensen K, Leist S, et al. Complement Activation Contributes to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Pathogenesis. MBio. 2018;9: pubmed publisher..These data suggest that inhibition of complement signaling might be an effective treatment option following coronavirus infection. ..
- Cockrell A, Johnson J, Moore I, Liu D, Bock K, Douglas M, et al. A spike-modified Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infectious clone elicits mild respiratory disease in infected rhesus macaques. Sci Rep. 2018;8:10727 pubmed publisher..Although pulmonary disease was mild, these results demonstrate for the first time the utility of CT imaging to measure disease elicited by a MERS-CoV infectious clone system in nonhuman primate models. ..
- Menachery V, Gralinski L, Mitchell H, Dinnon K, Leist S, Yount B, et al. Combination Attenuation Offers Strategy for Live Attenuated Coronavirus Vaccines. J Virol. 2018;92: pubmed publisher..Coupled with increased safety and reduced pathogenesis, the study highlights the potential for 2'O methyltransferase attenuation as a major component of future live attenuated coronavirus vaccines. ..
- Shin J, Jung E, Kim M, Baric R, Go Y. Saracatinib Inhibits Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus Replication In Vitro. Viruses. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..These data indicate that saracatinib alone or in combination with gemcitabine can provide a new therapeutic option for the treatment of MERS-CoV infection. ..
- Menachery V, Eisfeld A, SchÃ¤fer A, Josset L, Sims A, Proll S, et al. Pathogenic influenza viruses and coronaviruses utilize similar and contrasting approaches to control interferon-stimulated gene responses. MBio. 2014;5:e01174-14 pubmed publisher..Together, the data highlight how comparative systems biology analysis can be combined with experimental validation to derive novel insights into viral pathogenesis. ..
- Agnihothram S, Menachery V, Yount B, Lindesmith L, Scobey T, Whitmore A, et al. Development of a Broadly Accessible Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Virus Replicon Particle Vaccine Platform. J Virol. 2018;92: pubmed publisher..Together, the new system represents a highly portable, safe system for use in the context of disease emergence. ..
- Menachery V, Graham R, Baric R. Jumping species-a mechanism for coronavirus persistence and survival. Curr Opin Virol. 2017;23:1-7 pubmed publisher..In this review, we explore the host and viral dynamics that shape these CoV populations for survival, amplification, and possible emergence in novel hosts. ..
- Cockrell A, Beall A, Yount B, Baric R. Efficient Reverse Genetic Systems for Rapid Genetic Manipulation of Emergent and Preemergent Infectious Coronaviruses. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1602:59-81 pubmed publisher..Using this method, recombinant CoVs can be rapidly generated and used to investigate host range, gene function, pathogenesis, and candidate therapeutics for emerging and preemergent CoVs both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Swanstrom J, Plante J, Plante K, Young E, McGowan E, Gallichotte E, et al. Dengue Virus Envelope Dimer Epitope Monoclonal Antibodies Isolated from Dengue Patients Are Protective against Zika Virus. MBio. 2016;7: pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the identification of a functionally conserved epitope between ZIKV and DENV raises the possibility that a vaccine may be able to elicit neutralizing antibodies against both viruses. ..
- Widman D, Young E, Yount B, Plante K, Gallichotte E, Carbaugh D, et al. A Reverse Genetics Platform That Spans the Zika Virus Family Tree. MBio. 2017;8: pubmed publisher..Recombinant viruses replicated efficiently in cell culture and were pathogenic in immunodeficient mice, providing a genetic platform for rational vaccine and therapeutic design. ..
- Menachery V, Yount B, Sims A, Debbink K, Agnihothram S, Gralinski L, et al. SARS-like WIV1-CoV poised for human emergence. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:3048-53 pubmed publisher..Together, the data highlight the utility of a platform to identify and prioritize prepandemic strains harbored in animal reservoirs and document the threat posed by WIV1-CoV for emergence in human populations. ..
- Beall A, Yount B, Lin C, Hou Y, Wang Q, Saif L, et al. Characterization of a Pathogenic Full-Length cDNA Clone and Transmission Model for Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus Strain PC22A. MBio. 2016;7:e01451-15 pubmed publisher..S. strain PC22A both in vitro and in piglets. This infectious clone can be used both to study the genetics, virulence, and transmission of PEDV coronavirus and to inform the creation of a live attenuated PEDV vaccine. ..
- Widman D, Young E, Nivarthi U, Swanstrom J, Royal S, Yount B, et al. Transplantation of a quaternary structure neutralizing antibody epitope from dengue virus serotype 3 into serotype 4. Sci Rep. 2017;7:17169 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the hinge-spanning region of the 5J7 quaternary epitope is a target for serotype-specific neutralizing antibodies after DENV3 infection. ..
- Menachery V, Mitchell H, Cockrell A, Gralinski L, Yount B, Graham R, et al. MERS-CoV Accessory ORFs Play Key Role for Infection and Pathogenesis. MBio. 2017;8: pubmed publisher..In addition, disruption of accessory ORFs in parallel may offer a rapid response platform to attenuation of future emergent strains based on both SARS- and MERS-CoV accessory ORF mutants. ..
- Rockx B, Donaldson E, Frieman M, Sheahan T, Corti D, Lanzavecchia A, et al. Escape from human monoclonal antibody neutralization affects in vitro and in vivo fitness of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus. J Infect Dis. 2010;201:946-55 pubmed publisher..We previously characterized a panel of neutralizing human monoclonal antibodies (MAbs), but the majority of epitopes recognized by the MAbs remain unknown...
- Gralinski L, Menachery V, Morgan A, Totura A, Beall A, Kocher J, et al. Allelic Variation in the Toll-Like Receptor Adaptor Protein Ticam2 Contributes to SARS-Coronavirus Pathogenesis in Mice. G3 (Bethesda). 2017;7:1653-1663 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a critical role for Ticam2 in SARS-CoV disease, and highlight the importance of host genetic variation in disease responses. ..
- Totura A, Whitmore A, Agnihothram S, SchÃ¤fer A, Katze M, Heise M, et al. Toll-Like Receptor 3 Signaling via TRIF Contributes to a Protective Innate Immune Response to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Infection. MBio. 2015;6:e00638-15 pubmed publisher..These data should inform the design and use of TLR agonists and antagonists in coronavirus-specific vaccine and antiviral strategies. ..