Genomes and Genes
A G Barbour
Affiliation: University of California
- Barbour A. Chromosome and Plasmids of the Tick-Borne Relapsing Fever Agent Borrelia hermsii. Genome Announc. 2016;4: pubmed publisher..Application of combined long-read and short-read next-generation sequencing provided complete sequences for antigen-encoding plasmids as well as other linear and circular plasmids and the linear chromosome of the genome. ..
- Elbir H, Sitlani P, Bergstrom S, Barbour A. Chromosome and Megaplasmid Sequences of Borrelia anserina (Sakharoff 1891), the Agent of Avian Spirochetosis and Type Species of the Genus. Genome Announc. 2017;5: pubmed publisher..transmitted by argasid ticks. Missing or disrupted genes included a dam methylase and those in the pathway for synthesis of phospholipids from glycerol. ..
- Barbour A, Carter C, Bundoc V, Hinnebusch J. The nucleotide sequence of a linear plasmid of Borrelia burgdorferi reveals similarities to those of circular plasmids of other prokaryotes. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:6635-9 pubmed..The OrfC and OrfE proteins were similar to hypothetical proteins encoded by circular plasmids of B. burgdorferi. The OrfM and OrfN proteins were similar to replication proteins of circular plasmids of other bacteria. ..
- Barbour A, Bunikis J, Travinsky B, Hoen A, Diuk Wasser M, Fish D, et al. Niche partitioning of Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia miyamotoi in the same tick vector and mammalian reservoir species. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;81:1120-31 pubmed publisher..miyamotoi averaged approximately 0.20 and approximately 0.02, respectively. Co-infections of P. leucopus or I. scapularis with both B. burgdorferi and B. miyamotoi were neither more nor less common than random expectations...
- Barbour A, Carter C, Sohaskey C. Surface protein variation by expression site switching in the relapsing fever agent Borrelia hermsii. Infect Immun. 2000;68:7114-21 pubmed..The study confirmed that serotype 33 is distinct from other serotypes of B. hermsii in its biology and demonstrated that B. hermsii can change its major surface protein through switching between two expression sites...
- Barbour A, Cook V. Genotyping Strains of Lyme Disease Agents Directly From Ticks, Blood, or Tissue. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1690:1-11 pubmed publisher..The methods presented here are meant for genotyping directly from ticks and from blood and tissue samples from vertebrates. ..
- Crowder C, Ghalyanchi Langeroudi A, Shojaee Estabragh A, Lewis E, Marcsisin R, Barbour A. Pathogen and Host Response Dynamics in a Mouse Model of Borrelia hermsii Relapsing Fever. Vet Sci. 2016;3: pubmed publisher..Immunodeficient mice had higher spirochete burdens and severe anemia, which was accounted for by aggregation of erythrocytes by spirochetes and their partially reversible sequestration in greatly enlarged spleens and elsewhere. ..