Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Nutrition and the risk of oral and pharyngeal cancer: the evidence for any association remains weak and clinical significance remains limitedAndrei Barasch
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of General Dental Sciences, SDB 111, 1530 3rd Avenue S, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
J Evid Based Dent Pract 12:263-4. 2012..Weekly patient intake of the nutrients was divided by quintiles (highest to lowest intake of the nutrient) and the risk of oral/pharyngeal cancer associated with specific diets was calculated...
- Pay for performance: will dentistry follow?ANDREEA VOINEA-GRIFFIN
Department of General Dental Sciences, University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA
BMC Oral Health 10:9. 2010..Therefore, we adopted a quality-oriented approach in reviewing those factors which could influence whether it will be embraced by the dental profession...
- Miconazole revisited: new evidence of antifungal efficacy from laboratory and clinical trialsAndrei Barasch
Dept of Diagnostic Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
Future Microbiol 3:265-9. 2008..In this article we review recent evidence of mechanistic efficacy, as well as clinical trial results of miconazole in new topical formulations...
- Risk factors for oral postoperative infection in patients with diabetesAndrei Barasch
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Spec Care Dentist 28:159-66. 2008..The growing number of dental patients with diabetes warrants strengthening the evidence base to guide their dental care and prevent possible morbid complications...
- Risk factors for osteonecrosis of the jaws: a case-control study from the CONDOR dental PBRNA Barasch
University of Alabama School of Dentistry, SDB 111, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
J Dent Res 90:439-44. 2011..Both IV and oral bisphosphonate use were strongly associated with ONJ. Duration of treatment > 2 years; suppuration and dental extractions were independent risk factors for ONJ...
- Patterns of postoperative pain medication prescribing after invasive dental proceduresAndrei Barasch
Department of General Dental Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Spec Care Dentist 31:53-7. 2011..004) were more likely to receive narcotic analgesics. Students prescribed more narcotics than residents (p = .001). No differences were found by race in prescribing analgesics...
- Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw, with healing after teriparatide: a review of the literature and a case reportPongthorn Narongroeknawin
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Spec Care Dentist 30:77-82. 2010..ONJ is a serious but infrequent condition that has been recently associated with nitrogen-containing bisphosphonate therapy. Teriparatide may be a useful adjunctive therapy when ONJ develops...
- Diet medications and valvular heart disease: the current evidenceAndrei Barasch
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, USA
Spec Care Dentist 22:108-14. 2002..This article reviews relevant evidence and discusses concerns for the dental practitioner...