Ana I Balsa
Affiliation: University of Miami
- Does managed health care reduce health care disparities between minorities and Whites?Ana I Balsa
Health Economics Research Group, University of Miami, Miami, FL, USA
J Health Econ 26:101-21. 2007..We conclude that relative to Whites, minorities are at least as well off -- in terms of benefits and costs -- in Medicare managed care as in Medicare traditional indemnity plans...
- The health effects of parental problem drinking on adult childrenAna I Balsa
Health Economics Research Group, Department of Sociology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33124 2030, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 12:55-66. 2009..This is crucial information, in part because the average age of onset for depression and other mental health disorders is during late adolescence or young adulthood...
- Longitudinal analysis of changes in illicit drug use and health services utilizationMichael T French
Health Economics Research Group, Department of Sociology, University of Miami, 5202 University Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33124 2030, USA
Health Serv Res 46:877-99. 2011..To analyze the relationships between illicit drug use and three types of health services utilization: emergency room utilization, hospitalization, and medical attention required due to injury(s)...
- Substance use, education, employment, and criminal activity outcomes of adolescents in outpatient chemical dependency programsAna I Balsa
Health Economics Research Group, Department of Sociology, University of Miami, 5202 University Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33124 0719, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 36:75-95. 2009..These findings highlight the need to address selection in a non-experimental study and demonstrate the importance of considering multiple outcomes when assessing the effectiveness of adolescent treatment...
- Alcohol consumption and health among eldersAna I Balsa
Health Economics Research Group, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33124 2030, USA
Gerontologist 48:622-36. 2008..This article estimates the effects of alcohol consumption on self-reported overall health status, injuries, heart problems, emergency room use, and hospitalizations among persons older than the age of 65...
- From pubs to scrubs: alcohol misuse and health care useAna I Balsa
Department of Sociology, Sociology Research Center, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, USA
Health Serv Res 44:1480-503. 2009..To analyze the relationships between alcohol misuse and two types of acute health care use-hospital admissions and emergency room (ER) episodes...
- Prejudice, clinical uncertainty and stereotyping as sources of health disparitiesAna I Balsa
Department of Economics, Boston University, 180 Longweed Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Health Econ 22:89-116. 2003..Within a unified conceptual framework, we show how all three can lead to disparities in health and health services use. We also show that the effect of social policy depends critically on the underlying cause of disparities...
- Clinical uncertainty and healthcare disparitiesAna I Balsa
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Hospital Alliance, Harvard Medical School, USA
Am J Law Med 29:203-19. 2003
- Testing for statistical discrimination in health careAna I Balsa
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Health Serv Res 40:227-52. 2005..To examine the extent to which doctors' rational reactions to clinical uncertainty ("statistical discrimination") can explain racial differences in the diagnosis of depression, hypertension, and diabetes...