Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Role of NK cell subsets in organ-specific murine melanoma metastasisZuhair K Ballas
Iowa City VA Medical Center and the Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e65599. 2013..These data indicate that organ-specific immune responses may play a pivotal role in determining the permissiveness of a given organ for the establishment of a metastatic niche...
- A dynamic flux in natural killer cell subsets as a function of the duration of alcohol ingestionZuhair K Ballas
Iowa City VA Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36:826-34. 2012..However, there is conflicting information as to the direction of such immune changes. The hypothesis that was tested in this report is that, for NK cells, the changes can vary as a function of the duration of alcohol ingestion...
- Divergent therapeutic and immunologic effects of oligodeoxynucleotides with distinct CpG motifsZ K Ballas
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Immunol 167:4878-86. 2001....
- Chronic ethanol ingestion by mice increases expression of CD80 and CD86 by activated macrophagesXiaoyan Zhu
Department of Pathology, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Alcohol 32:91-100. 2004..Such cells may contribute to systemic immunodysregulation, including T-cell activation, by providing abnormal second signals to T cells, or through excessive release of cytokines, such as interleukin (IL)-6 or IL-12...
- Oligodeoxynucleotide CpG 7909 delivered as intravenous infusion demonstrates immunologic modulation in patients with previously treated non-Hodgkin lymphomaBrian K Link
Department of Internal Medicine, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunother 29:558-68. 2006..Two subjects demonstrated late response. We conclude CpG 7909 can be safely given as a 2-hour IV infusion to patients with previously treated non-Hodgkin lymphoma at doses that have immunomodulatory effects...
- Thymocytes, pre-B cells, and organ changes in a mouse model of chronic ethanol ingestion--absence of subset-specific glucocorticoid-induced immune cell lossRobert T Cook
Department of Pathology, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, and the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:1746-58. 2007..Thus, it is important to have a model in which long-term immune alterations can be studied free of corticosteroid-induced cell losses...
- Structural characterization of the inhibitory DNA motif for the type A (D)-CpG-induced cytokine secretion and NK-cell lytic activity in mouse spleen cellsPetar Lenert
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine and Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, The Iowa City VA Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
DNA Cell Biol 22:621-31. 2003..These findings suggest that CpG regulation of innate immunity can itself be regulated by particular motifs, which could be of therapeutic benefit in autoimmune diseases...
- Evaluation of the adult with suspected immunodeficiencyAntoine E Azar
Division of Allergy Immunology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa and the Iowa City VA Medical Center, Iowa City 52242, USA
Am J Med 120:764-8. 2007..The office tests that can be obtained for initial screening and their interpretation are detailed...
- Modulation of NK cell activity by CpG oligodeoxynucleotidesZuhair K Ballas
Department of Internal Medicine, The Iowa City VA Medical Center, University of Iowa, Iowa, IA 52242, USA
Immunol Res 39:15-21. 2007..Studies in humans show similar results with potent activation in vitro. In a limited Phase I dose escalation study it also appeared that CpG ODN induce NK cell activation in humans in vivo...
- Aberrant T-cell antigen receptor-mediated responses in autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndromeFrederick D Goldman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, 52242, USA
Clin Immunol 104:31-9. 2002..As DN T cells were essentially anergic, the clinical manifestations of autoimmunity are more likely to be a consequence of aberrant cytokine secretion within the CD4(+) T-cell subpopulation...
- T-cell activation after chronic ethanol ingestion in miceRobert T Cook
Department of Pathology, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Alcohol 33:175-81. 2004....
- Assessment of natural killer (NK) and NKT cells in murine spleens and liversMichael R Shey
The Iowa City VA Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 447:259-76. 2008..g., CD3). Most NKT cells recognize glycolipids and are thought to play an important immunoregulatory role. This chapter will detail the methodology needed for examination of NK and NKT cells in mice...
- DNA immunomodulation of asthmaJoel N Kline
University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Clin Allergy Immunol 16:551-64. 2002..Because most of the Th2 cytokines are on chromosome 5, the completion of the human genome project may open whole new venues of research aimed at controlling these cytokines at the chromosomal level...
- Association of immune abnormalities with telomere shortening in autosomal-dominant dyskeratosis congenitaMatt Knudson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Blood 105:682-8. 2005..In summary, the observed lymphopenia and hypogammaglobulinemia in AD DC is likely a consequence of replicative failure and premature senescence of lymphocytes, supporting a role of telomerase activity in immune homeostasis...
- Glycosylation contributes to variability in expression of murine cytomegalovirus m157 and enhances stability of interaction with the NK-cell receptor Ly49HNatalya V Guseva
Department of Pathology, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Eur J Immunol 40:2618-31. 2010..Thus, glycosylation on m157 enhances expression and binding to Ly49H, factors that may impact the interaction between NK cells and MCMV in vivo where receptor-ligand interactions are more limiting...
- Assessing siRNA pharmacodynamics in a luciferase-expressing mouseRobert U Svensson
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and Pathology, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52240, USA
Mol Ther 16:1995-2001. 2008..This strain should generally enhance the ability to rapidly screen, compare and optimize various siRNA formulations for tissue-targeted or -enhanced systemic delivery in a preclinical development setting...
- Natural killer cells: emerging concepts in immunity to infection and implications for assessment of immunodeficiencyJonathan W Heusel
Departments of Pathology and Internal Medicine, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa and the Iowa City VA Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 15:586-93. 2003....
- Practice parameter for the diagnosis and management of primary immunodeficiencyFrancisco A Bonilla
Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 94:S1-63. 2005
- Chronic ethanol consumption by mice results in activated splenic T cellsKejing Song
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Leukoc Biol 72:1109-16. 2002..The overall results support the concept that in humans and mice, chronic alcohol exposure of sufficient duration results in T cell activation or sensitization in vivo and an increased percentage of the effector/memory subset...
- Deficient natural killer cell cytotoxicity in patients with IKK-gamma/NEMO mutationsJordan S Orange
Division of Immunology, Children s Hospital and Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 109:1501-9. 2002..These data suggest that NEMO participates in signaling pathways leading to NK cell cytotoxicity and that IL-2 can activate NF-kappaB and partially overcome the NK cell defect in patients with NEMO mutations...
- Reversible panhypogammaglobulinemia associated with the antiepileptic agent levetiracetamAntoine E Azar
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 101:108-9. 2008
- Highly immunostimulatory CpG-free oligodeoxynucleotides for activation of human leukocytesJorg Vollmer
Coley Pharmaceutical GmbH, Langenfeld, Germany
Antisense Nucleic Acid Drug Dev 12:165-75. 2002..Such ODNs can induce effects similar to those seen with CpG ODNs but are much less efficient in stimulating human immune cells...
- Acute thromboembolic events associated with intravenous immunoglobulin infusion in antibody-deficient patientsHolly Conway Brown
J Allergy Clin Immunol 112:797-9. 2003
- The presentation and natural history of immunodeficiency caused by nuclear factor kappaB essential modulator mutationJordan S Orange
Department of Immunology, Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 113:725-33. 2004..Hypomorphic mutations in the NFkappaB essential modulator (NEMO) impair NFkappaB function and are linked to both immunodeficiency and ectodermal dysplasia (ED), as well as susceptibility to atypical mycobacterial infections...
- Recalcitrant warts, associated with natural killer cell dysfunction, treated with systemic IFN-alphaNatalie N Cac
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:526-8. 2006
- Natural killer cells in human health and diseaseJordan S Orange
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Division of Allergy and Immunology, 3615 Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Immunol 118:1-10. 2006..NK cells play important roles in viral infections, autoimmunity, pregnancy, cancer and bone marrow transplantation. This review highlights recent developments in the understanding of the role of human NK cells in health and disease...
- Caseating granulomatous disease in common variable immunodeficiency treated with infliximabAmmar Z Hatab
J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:1161-2. 2005
- Perilesional GM-CSF therapy of a chronic leg ulcer in a patient with common variable immunodeficiencyAmmar Z Hatab
J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:460-2. 2005
- FLOW CYTOMETRY INSTRUMENTZUHAIR BALLAS; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- KILLER CELLS AND ALCOHOLZUHAIR BALLAS; Fiscal Year: 2004..Preliminary data prompted the hypothesis that ETOH blunts the enhanced NK activity induced by CpG ODN ..
- KILLER CELLS AND ALCOHOLZUHAIR BALLAS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Preliminary data prompted the hypothesis that ETOH blunts the enhanced NK activity induced by CpG ODN ..
- KILLER CELLS AND ALCOHOLZUHAIR BALLAS; Fiscal Year: 2006..Preliminary data prompted the hypothesis that ETOH blunts the enhanced NK activity induced by CpG ODN ..
- KILLER CELLS AND ALCOHOLZUHAIR BALLAS; Fiscal Year: 2007