Affiliation: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Health communications in rural America: lessons learned from an arthritis campaign in rural ArkansasAppathurai Balamurugan
Arkansas Department of Health and Human Services, Little Rock, AR 72203 1437, USA
J Rural Health 23:270-5. 2007..Lack of awareness about diseases and associated risk factors could partially account for some rural health disparities. Health communications campaigns can be an effective means of increasing awareness in these areas...
- A pilot study of diabetes education via telemedicine in a rural underserved community--opportunities and challenges: a continuous quality improvement processAppathurai Balamurugan
Epidemiology Branch, Center for Public Health Practice, Arkansas Department of Health, 4815 W Markham, Slot H 32, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Diabetes Educ 35:147-54. 2009..The continuous quality improvement process was used to identify the problem, collect and analyze data, and develop and implement a DSME program via telemedicine (DSME-T) in an underserved rural community...
- Barriers to diabetes self-management education programs in underserved rural Arkansas: implications for program evaluationAppathurai Balamurugan
Arkansas Department of Health and Human Services, 4815 W Markham, Slot 32, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 3:A15. 2006..In this study, we discuss the barriers faced during the implementation of DSME programs in medically underserved rural areas of Arkansas...
- Diabetes self-management education program for Medicaid recipients: a continuous quality improvement processAppathurai Balamurugan
Epidemiology Branch, Division of Health, Arkansas Department of Health and Human Services, PO Box 1437, Little Rock, AR 72203 1437, USA
Diabetes Educ 32:893-900. 2006....
- Using paid radio advertisements to promote physical activity among Arkansas tweensAppathurai Balamurugan
Arkansas Department of Health and Human Services, Little Rock, Ark 72205, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 2:A08. 2005..Physical inactivity is associated with a host of chronic diseases such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Paid media advertisements have been an effective method of promoting physical activity...
- Bringing home the patient centered medical home: lessons learned from an academic family medical centerJamie Howard
Family Medical Center, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
J Ark Med Soc 108:300-3. 2012..In 2010, FMC was the first clinic in Arkansas to be recognized by NCQA as a Level 3 PCMH. In this article, we share the actions taken and lessons learned in bringing home the PCMH to our practice...