A M Arozullah
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Preoperative evaluation for postoperative pulmonary complicationsAhsan M Arozullah
Veterans Affairs Chicago Healthcare System, Westside Division, Chicago, IL, USA
Med Clin North Am 87:153-73. 2003..Reducing hospital PPC rates will require future research into the processes of care associated with PPCs through controlled observational and interventional trials...
- Development and validation of a short-form, rapid estimate of adult literacy in medicineAhsan M Arozullah
Jesse Brown Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 820 S Damen Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Med Care 45:1026-33. 2007..Although prior studies used the 66-item Rapid Estimate of Adult Literacy in Medicine (REALM instrument) for literacy assessment, researchers may require a shorter, validated instrument when designing interventions for clinical contexts...
- Multifactorial risk index for predicting postoperative respiratory failure in men after major noncardiac surgery. The National Veterans Administration Surgical Quality Improvement ProgramA M Arozullah
Section of General Internal Medicine, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Ann Surg 232:242-53. 2000..To develop and validate a preoperative risk index for predicting postoperative respiratory failure (PRF)...
- Development and validation of a multifactorial risk index for predicting postoperative pneumonia after major noncardiac surgeryA M Arozullah
Section of General Internal Medicine M C 787, University of Illinois College of Medicine, 840 South Wood Street, Room 440 M, Chicago, IL 60612 7323, USA
Ann Intern Med 135:847-57. 2001..Pneumonia is a common postoperative complication associated with substantial morbidity and mortality...
- A rapid staging system for predicting mortality from HIV-associated community-acquired pneumoniaAhsan M Arozullah
VA Chicago Healthcare System, Westside Division, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois College of Medicine, 60612, USA
Chest 123:1151-60. 2003..The study objective was to develop a staging system for categorizing mortality risk of patients with HIV-associated CAP using information available prior to hospital admission...
- Postoperative mortality and pulmonary complication rankings: how well do they correlate at the hospital level?Ahsan M Arozullah
Veterans Affairs Chicago Healthcare System, Westside Division, Section of General Internal Medicine, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Med Care 41:979-91. 2003..Postoperative mortality rankings are used alone for quality assessment...
- The roles of low literacy and social support in predicting the preventability of hospital admissionAhsan M Arozullah
Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:140-5. 2006..This study evaluated whether low literacy was a predictor for preventability of hospitalization when considered in the context of social support, sociodemographics, health status, and risk behaviors...
- Effects of health literacy on health status and health service utilization amongst the elderlyYoung Ik Cho
University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:1809-16. 2008..Our findings suggest that improving health literacy may be an effective strategy to improve health status and to reduce the use of expensive hospital and emergency room services among elderly patients...
- Implementation and evaluation of a low-literacy diabetes education computer multimedia applicationBen S Gerber
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Diabetes Care 28:1574-80. 2005..To evaluate a clinic-based multimedia intervention for diabetes education targeting individuals with low health literacy levels in a diverse population...
- Racial differences in medication adherence: A cross-sectional study of Medicare enrolleesBen S Gerber
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Jesse Brown Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 8:136-45. 2010..Racial differences in adherence to prescribed medication regimens have been reported among the elderly. It remains unclear, however, whether these differences persist after controlling for confounding variables...
- The financial burden of cancer: estimates from a study of insured women with breast cancerAhsan M Arozullah
VA Chicago Healthcare System, West Side and Lakeside Divisions, Division of General Internal Medicine of the Department of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Support Oncol 2:271-8. 2004..Affordable programs that provide reimbursement for medical and nonmedical costs incurred following a diagnosis of breast cancer should be developed, especially for lower income women...
- Multivariable predictors of postoperative respiratory failure after general and vascular surgery: results from the patient safety in surgery studyRobert G Johnson
Saint Louis University and the John Cochran VA Medical Center, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1188-98. 2007..This model is an extension of an earlier model that was derived and tested exclusively from a population of male patients from the Veterans Affairs National Surgical Quality Improvement Program...
- Relationship between health insurance and medical care for patients hospitalized with human immunodeficiency virus-related Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, 1995-1997: Medicaid, bronchoscopy, and survivalJorge P Parada
Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Hines VA Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:1549-55. 2003....
- Determinants of mortality following a diagnosis of prostate cancer in Veterans Affairs and private sector health care systemsVincent L Freeman
VA Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1706-12. 2003..We compared patterns of mortality among men with prostate cancer at 2 Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and 2 private-sector hospitals in the Chicago area...
- Health literacy, social support, and health: a research agendaShoou Yih D Lee
Department of Health Policy and Administration, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1101 McGavran Greenberg Hall CB 7411, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7411, USA
Soc Sci Med 58:1309-21. 2004..More targeted and more cost-efficient efforts could also be taken to identify and reach those who not only have low health literacy but also lack the resources and support to bridge the unmet literacy demands of their health conditions...