Tomas J Aragon
Affiliation: University of California
- Calculating expected years of life lost for assessing local ethnic disparities in causes of premature deathTomas J Aragon
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
BMC Public Health 8:116. 2008..The purpose of this study was to rank the leading causes of premature death among San Francisco residents, and to share detailed methods so that these analyses can be used in other local health jurisdictions...
- Case-control study of shigellosis in San Francisco: the role of sexual transmission and HIV infectionTomas J Aragon
San Francisco Department of Public Health, City and County of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:327-34. 2007..No population-based study of sporadic shigellosis has evaluated the role of sexual practices (especially among MSM) and HIV infection along with other established risk factors for shigellosis...
- Public health response systems in-action: learning from local health departments' experiences with acute and emergency incidentsJennifer C Hunter
Center for Infectious Diseases and Emergency Readiness, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e79457. 2013....
- Endemic cryptosporidiosis and exposure to municipal tap water in persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS): a case-control studyTomas J Aragon
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
BMC Public Health 3:2. 2003..To test the hypothesis that drinking tap water was associated with developing cryptosporidiosis, we conducted a matched case-control study among persons with AIDS in San Francisco...
- Bacteriophage- based tests for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical specimens: a systematic review and meta- analysisShriprakash Kalantri
University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health, 140, Warren Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
BMC Infect Dis 5:59. 2005..However, the test lacks sensitivity. Although bacteriophage-based tests for tuberculosis have shown promising results, their overall accuracy has not been systematically evaluated...
- Chloroquine or amodiaquine combined with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for uncomplicated malaria: a systematic reviewJimee Hwang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Trop Med Int Health 11:789-99. 2006..To compare the efficacies against uncomplicated falciparum malaria of chloroquine (CQ), amodiaquine (AQ), sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) and combinations of these inexpensive drugs...
- Effect of cotrimoxazole prophylaxis taken by human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected persons on the selection of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine-resistant malaria parasites among HIV-uninfected household membersSamuel S Malamba
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Entebbe, Uganda
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:375-80. 2006....
- If syndromic surveillance is the answer, what is the question?Arthur Reingold
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 1:77-81. 2003
- Mobility and its liminal context: exploring sexual partnering among truck drivers crossing the Southern Brazilian borderSheri A Lippman
Division of Epidemiology, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:2464-73. 2007..Additional exploration of how the liminal environment shapes mobile populations' sexual decision making and vulnerability to STI is warranted...
- The epidemiology and surveillance workforce among local health departments in California: mutual aid and surge capacity for routine and emergency infectious disease situationsWayne T A Enanoria
University of California at Berkeley, School of Public Health, Cal PREPARE Research Center and Division of Epidemiology, Berkeley, CA University of California, San Francisco, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, San Francisco, CA
Public Health Rep 129:114-22. 2014..We conducted a survey of local health departments (LHDs) in California to describe the workforce that supports public health surveillance and epidemiologic functions during routine and emergency infectious disease situations...
- Effect of the one-child policy on influenza transmission in China: a stochastic transmission modelFengchen Liu
F I Proctor Foundation, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America Center for Infectious Diseases and Emergency Readiness, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e84961. 2014..Moreover, changes in household structure may affect influenza transmission. Is it possible that the pronounced demographic changes that have occurred in China have affected influenza transmission?..
- Integrating a framework for conducting public health systems research into statewide operations-based exercises to improve emergency preparednessJennifer C Hunter
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
BMC Public Health 12:680. 2012..This paper describes the integration of a research framework into a statewide operations-based exercise program in California as a systems-based approach for studying public health emergency preparedness and response...
- Public health management of antiviral drugs during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic: a survey of local health departments in CaliforniaJennifer C Hunter
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
BMC Public Health 12:82. 2012....
- Research findings from nonpharmaceutical intervention studies for pandemic influenza and current gaps in the researchAllison E Aiello
Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 1415 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Infect Control 38:251-8. 2010..The current novel influenza A (H1N1) pandemic underscores the importance of influenza research...
- Logistics of community smallpox control through contact tracing and ring vaccination: a stochastic network modelTravis C Porco
San Francisco Department of Public Health, Community Health and Epidemiology Section, Epidemiology and Effectiveness Research Unit, 101 Grove Street Suite 204, San Francisco, California 94102 USA
BMC Public Health 4:34. 2004..Previous smallpox ring vaccination models based on contact tracing over a network suggest that ring vaccination would be effective, but have not explicitly included response logistics and limited numbers of vaccinators...
- Estimating alcohol-related premature mortality in San Francisco: use of population-attributable fractions from the global burden of disease studyBrian S Katcher
Community Health Epidemiology, San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California, USA
BMC Public Health 10:682. 2010..We asked how alcohol-related premature mortality in San Francisco, measured in years of life lost (YLLs), compares with other well-known causes of premature mortality, such as ischemic heart disease or HIV/AIDS...
- Laboratory reporting of tuberculosis test results and patient treatment initiation in CaliforniaLisa Pascopella
California Department of Health Services Tuberculosis Control Branch, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:4209-13. 2004..These findings emphasize the need to reduce times of specimen transfer between institutions and to ensure rapid communication among laboratories, health care providers, and health departments serving TB patients...
- Prevalence and seasonality of influenza-like illness in children, Nicaragua, 2005-2007Aubree Gordon
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7354, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 15:408-14. 2009..Influenza virus circulation was confirmed during each ILI peak by laboratory testing of a subset of samples. Our findings demonstrate a high rate of ILI, with seasonal peaks, in children in Nicaragua...
- Effectiveness of Selected NPIs in Reducing ILI among University StudentsTOMAS ARAGON; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..