Patricia T Alpert
Affiliation: University of Nevada
- Preparing for retirement in uncertain timesShanna Keele
Shanna Keele is a recent PhD graduate of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas UNLV, School of Nursing In preparation for her dissertation, The authors have disclosed no potential conflicts of interest, financial or otherwise
Am J Nurs 115:50-5. 2015..How nurses can optimize their future financial security before leaving the workforce. ..
- An advanced practice nursing program for foreign medical doctors: a practical approachPatricia T Alpert
Physiology Department, University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Nursing, USA
Nurs Educ Perspect 34:254-9. 2013..This article articulates lessons learned about an accelerated family nurse practitioner course offered to foreign medical doctors who also held baccalaureate nursing degrees (BSN)...
- The effect of modified jazz dance on balance, cognition, and mood in older adultsPatricia T Alpert
Department of Physiologic Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Nevada Las Vegas, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas, NV 89154 3018, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 21:108-15. 2009..The purpose of this pilot study was to evaluate the impact of jazz dance class instruction on balance, cognition, and mood (specifically depression) in 13 healthy, community-dwelling, English-speaking older women with a mean age of 68...
- The effects of vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency on the endocrine and paracrine systemsPatricia T Alpert
School of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
Biol Res Nurs 9:117-29. 2007..This article reviews the current literature on vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency and their relation to different disease states. Potential areas for research are discussed...
- Sickle-cell anemia and pulmonary hypertensionGlenda M Ninkovich
Clark County Detention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 22:198-204. 2010..A case study is presented to illustrate the diagnosis of PHTN in a patient with SCD. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and interventions for both SCD and PHTN are also discussed...
- Budd-Chiari syndrome from an advanced practice nurse perspectiveLourdes S Pahuriray
Family Medical Group, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 19:486-95. 2007..To provide nurse practitioners (NPs) with a case study and literature review of Budd-Chiari syndrome (BCS). This rare liver disease has a multitude of clinical presentations that NPs may encounter in the primary care setting...
- The effect of a senior jazz dance class on static balance in healthy women over 50 years of age: a pilot studyHarvey W Wallmann
Department of Physical Therapy, School of Allied Health Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154, USA
Biol Res Nurs 10:257-66. 2009..Results indicated that administration of a 15-week jazz dance class 1 time per week was beneficial in improving static balance as measured by the Balance Master SOT...
- Asthma severity in children and the quality of life of their parentsNoelle S Cerdan
Oshiro Pediatrics, Las Vegas, NV 89119 6183, USA
Appl Nurs Res 25:131-7. 2012..For parents of asthmatic children, there was a negative correlation between overall asthma severity and quality-of-life score. Measuring parental quality of life enables the development of effective asthma programs...
- Parental disconnect between perceived and actual weight status of children: a metasynthesis of the current researchJessica Doolen
Department of Physiologic Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 21:160-6. 2009..The purpose of this article was to review the current research literature on parental perceptions about their children's weight...
- Overweight and obesity in nurses, advanced practice nurses, and nurse educatorsSally K Miller
Department of Physiologic Nursing, UNLV School of Nursing, UNLV School of Public Health, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154 3018, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 20:259-65. 2008..To quantify the incidence of overweight and obesity in nursing professionals and assess nurses' knowledge of obesity and associated health risks...
- The obese child: motivation as a tool for exerciseJ Wesley McWhorter
Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas 89154, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 17:11-7. 2003..By addressing the problems of obesity and low fitness levels early in the child's life, a significant step can be taken toward reversing the negative trends of this unhealthy and potentially dangerous condition...
- Retirement financial planning and the RN: an integrative literature reviewShanna Keele
Author Affiliations Student Ms Keele, School of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas Chair Dr Alpert, School of Nursing, Physiologic Nursing Department, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
J Nurs Adm 43:574-80. 2013..Future research must address these gaps to better address RN workforce sustainability. ..
- Assessment and differential diagnosis of abdominal painSally K Miller
Department of Physiologic Nursing at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Nursing, USA
Nurse Pract 31:38-45, 47. 2006..It is incumbent upon the primary care provider to have a thorough understanding of the many potential causes of abdominal pain, as well as a methodical, comprehensive, yet concise approach to its assessment...
- Postural balance in young adults: the role of visual, vestibular and somatosensory systemsMary Grace Gaerlan
St Rose Dominican Hospital, Henderson, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 24:375-81. 2012..The purpose of the study is to examine what sensory system predominates to maintain balance (e.g., visual, vestibular, and somatosensory) among people in their twenties and thirties...
- Pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus: management issues in primary practiceTiwaporn Pongmarutani
Community College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 18:258-67. 2006..To provide nurse practitioners (NPs) with an update on pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) with an emphasis on management considerations for primary care practitioners...
- Practices of vitamin D recommendation in Las Vegas, NevadaUlfat Shaikh
Department of Pediatrics at the University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas, USA
J Hum Lact 20:56-61. 2004..Providers demonstrated a knowledge deficitforquestions that dealt with preventive measures...
- Nurse practitioner: reflecting on the futurePatricia T Alpert
Family Nurse Practitioner Program, Department of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
Nurs Adm Q 26:79-89. 2002..This article explores the evolving role of the nurse practitioner in education, practice, and research to meet the challenges of the health care needs into the 21st century...
- Promising new causal explanations for obesity and obesity-related diseasesCarrie Power
Indian Health Services, Elko, Nevada, USA
Biol Res Nurs 8:223-33. 2007..Tumor necrosis factor-alpha is overexpressed in obesity and diabetes, suggesting that it may be part of the link between the 2 conditions...
- Nutritional rickets in Las Vegas, NevadaUlfat Shaikh
Department of Pediatrics, University of California Davis, Sacramento 95817, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19:209-12. 2006