Patricia T Alpert
Affiliation: University of Nevada
- The effects of vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency on the endocrine and paracrine systemsPatricia T Alpert
School of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
Biol Res Nurs 9:117-29. 2007..This article reviews the current literature on vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency and their relation to different disease states. Potential areas for research are discussed...
- The effect of modified jazz dance on balance, cognition, and mood in older adultsPatricia T Alpert
Department of Physiologic Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Nevada Las Vegas, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas, NV 89154 3018, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 21:108-15. 2009..The purpose of this pilot study was to evaluate the impact of jazz dance class instruction on balance, cognition, and mood (specifically depression) in 13 healthy, community-dwelling, English-speaking older women with a mean age of 68...
- The effect of a senior jazz dance class on static balance in healthy women over 50 years of age: a pilot studyHarvey W Wallmann
Department of Physical Therapy, School of Allied Health Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154, USA
Biol Res Nurs 10:257-66. 2009..Results indicated that administration of a 15-week jazz dance class 1 time per week was beneficial in improving static balance as measured by the Balance Master SOT...
- Overweight and obesity in nurses, advanced practice nurses, and nurse educatorsSally K Miller
Department of Physiologic Nursing, UNLV School of Nursing, UNLV School of Public Health, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154 3018, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 20:259-65. 2008..To quantify the incidence of overweight and obesity in nursing professionals and assess nurses' knowledge of obesity and associated health risks...
- Sickle-cell anemia and pulmonary hypertensionGlenda M Ninkovich
Clark County Detention Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 22:198-204. 2010..A case study is presented to illustrate the diagnosis of PHTN in a patient with SCD. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and interventions for both SCD and PHTN are also discussed...
- The obese child: motivation as a tool for exerciseJ Wesley McWhorter
Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas 89154, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 17:11-7. 2003..By addressing the problems of obesity and low fitness levels early in the child's life, a significant step can be taken toward reversing the negative trends of this unhealthy and potentially dangerous condition...
- Asthma severity in children and the quality of life of their parentsNoelle S Cerdan
Oshiro Pediatrics, Las Vegas, NV 89119 6183, USA
Appl Nurs Res 25:131-7. 2012..For parents of asthmatic children, there was a negative correlation between overall asthma severity and quality-of-life score. Measuring parental quality of life enables the development of effective asthma programs...
- Postural balance in young adults: the role of visual, vestibular and somatosensory systemsMary Grace Gaerlan
St Rose Dominican Hospital, Henderson, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 24:375-81. 2012..The purpose of the study is to examine what sensory system predominates to maintain balance (e.g., visual, vestibular, and somatosensory) among people in their twenties and thirties...
- Budd-Chiari syndrome from an advanced practice nurse perspectiveLourdes S Pahuriray
Family Medical Group, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 19:486-95. 2007..To provide nurse practitioners (NPs) with a case study and literature review of Budd-Chiari syndrome (BCS). This rare liver disease has a multitude of clinical presentations that NPs may encounter in the primary care setting...
- Pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus: management issues in primary practiceTiwaporn Pongmarutani
Community College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 18:258-67. 2006..The primary care of pediatric SLE patients that is focused on preventing or delaying SLE morbidities may help to restore, maintain, or improve the quality of life for these patients...
- Parental disconnect between perceived and actual weight status of children: a metasynthesis of the current researchJessica Doolen
Department of Physiologic Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 21:160-6. 2009..The purpose of this article was to review the current research literature on parental perceptions about their children's weight...
- Practices of vitamin D recommendation in Las Vegas, NevadaUlfat Shaikh
Department of Pediatrics at the University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas, USA
J Hum Lact 20:56-61. 2004..Providers demonstrated a knowledge deficitforquestions that dealt with preventive measures...
- Nurse practitioner: reflecting on the futurePatricia T Alpert
Family Nurse Practitioner Program, Department of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
Nurs Adm Q 26:79-89. 2002..This article explores the evolving role of the nurse practitioner in education, practice, and research to meet the challenges of the health care needs into the 21st century...
- Promising new causal explanations for obesity and obesity-related diseasesCarrie Power
Indian Health Services, Elko, Nevada, USA
Biol Res Nurs 8:223-33. 2007..Tumor necrosis factor-alpha is overexpressed in obesity and diabetes, suggesting that it may be part of the link between the 2 conditions...
- Assessment and differential diagnosis of abdominal painSally K Miller
Department of Physiologic Nursing at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Nursing, USA
Nurse Pract 31:38-45, 47. 2006..It is incumbent upon the primary care provider to have a thorough understanding of the many potential causes of abdominal pain, as well as a methodical, comprehensive, yet concise approach to its assessment...
- Nutritional rickets in Las Vegas, NevadaUlfat Shaikh
Department of Pediatrics, University of California Davis, Sacramento 95817, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19:209-12. 2006