Sheila A Alexander
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- The effects of admission alcohol level on cerebral blood flow and outcomes after severe traumatic brain injurySheila Alexander
Acute and Tertiary Care, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Neurotrauma 21:575-83. 2004..The data indicated that serum ETOH levels > 100 mg/dL at the time of admission after a TBI were associated with a decrease in global CBF. Elevated serum ETOH level at time of injury did not, however, impact outcomes...
- Genes and acute neurologic disease and injury: a primer for the neurologic intensive care nurseSheila A Alexander
Department of Acute and Tertiary Care, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 20:203-12, vi. 2008..This article informs nurses working with neurologically impaired patients in the intensive care unit of specific genes involved in patient response and potential future therapeutics...
- Cerebrospinal fluid apolipoprotein E, calcium and cerebral vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhageSheila A Alexander
School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Biol Res Nurs 10:102-12. 2008..006) correlated over time regardless of genotype or vasospasm status. These findings suggest that apolipoprotein E and Ca++ may be interacting after SAH, but this interaction does not appear to influence vasospasm...
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase tagging single nucleotide polymorphisms and recovery from aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhageSheila Alexander
School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Biol Res Nurs 11:42-52. 2009..001) and MRS (p<.001). These data indicate that the eNOS gene plays a role in the response to SAH, which may be explained by an influence on CV...
- Neuroglobin genetic polymorphisms and their relationship to functional outcomes after traumatic brain injuryPei Ying Chuang
Acute Tertiary Care Department, Health Promotion and Development, School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Neurotrauma 27:999-1006. 2010..Data suggest that the haplotype block represented by rs3783988 in NGB appears to influence recovery after severe TBI. Represented within this haplotype block of NGB is the region that codes for the oxygen-binding portion of NGB...
- APOE genotype and functional outcome following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhageMatthew J Gallek
School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Biol Res Nurs 10:205-12. 2009..There was no difference in mortality associated with APOE4 presence, APOE2 presence, or presence of CV. These findings suggest APOE4 allele is associated with poor outcome after aneurysmal SAH...
- BCL2 genotypes: functional and neurobehavioral outcomes after severe traumatic brain injuryNicole Zangrilli Hoh
University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Department of Health Promotion and Development, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Neurotrauma 27:1413-27. 2010..These data support the possibility that genetic variability for pro-survival proteins, particularly genetic variation in the BCL2 gene, impacts outcomes after severe TBI...
- Role of endothelin-1 in human aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: associations with vasospasm and delayed cerebral ischemiaBhavani P Thampatty
School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Neurocrit Care 15:19-27. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) ET-1 levels and angiographic vasospasm and DCI...
- Apolipoprotein E4 allele presence and functional outcome after severe traumatic brain injurySheila Alexander
University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Neurotrauma 24:790-7. 2007..The findings of this study are unique in that they address not only the relationship between APOE 4 allele presence and outcome from severe TBI, but also describe differences in trajectory of recovery by APOE 4 allele presence...
- Effect of short periods of normobaric hyperoxia on local brain tissue oxygenation and cerebrospinal fluid oxidative stress markers in severe traumatic brain injuryAva M Puccio
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Neurotrauma 26:1241-9. 2009..Additional studies are required to examine extended periods of normobaric hyperoxia in a larger sample...
- Apolipoprotein E genotype and CBF in traumatic brain injured patientsMary E Kerr
University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, PA, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 578:291-6. 2006
- Influence of delaying treatment after symptoms develop from subarachnoid hemorrhage: a preliminary analysisLynn Lorenzi
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Neurosci Nurs 35:210-4. 2003..Initial clinical presentation is a useful predictor for SAH outcomes. This study supports the idea that the general public needs to be educated on the symptoms of SAH...
- Long Term Outcomes in ICU Patients: Delirium & Apolipoprotein ESheila Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2009..This would likely lead to decreased time in the ICU and hospital. ..