Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- A Simple PCR-RFLP Method for Genetic Phase Determination in Compound HeterozygotesRodney T Perry
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham Birmingham, AL, USA
Front Genet 2:108. 2011..We show that the A allele of TNF -308 is carried on the same chromosome as the LTA +252(G) allele...
- Multiple hits for the association of uterine fibroids on human chromosome 1q43Brahim Aissani
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e58399. 2013..With the high potential for occult tumors in common conditions such as fibroids, validation of our data in family-based studies is needed...
- The major histocompatibility complex conserved extended haplotype 8.1 in AIDS-related non-Hodgkin lymphomaBrahim Aissani
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:170-9. 2009..Which gene variant on this highly conserved extended haplotype (CEH 8.1) in whites most likely represents a true etiologic factor remains uncertain...
- Interleukin-10 (IL-10) pathway: genetic variants and outcomes of HIV-1 infection in African American adolescentsSadeep Shrestha
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13384. 2010....
- Host genetics and HIV-1 viral load set-point in African-AmericansSadeep Shrestha
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0022, USA
AIDS 23:673-7. 2009..We attempted to confirm this finding in African-Americans and to address whether these SNPs are in linkage disequilibrium with human leukocyte antigen (HLA) class I alleles that mediate innate and adaptive immunity...
- Structure of tumor necrosis factor-alpha haploblocks in European populationsAimee M Merino
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, USA
Immunogenetics 65:543-52. 2013..We also found that the ancestral haplotype 8.1 shares a TNF block haplotype with HLA-B*4402. HLA-B*5701, a known protective allele in HIV-1 pathogenesis, occurred in a unique TNF block haplotype...
- A candidate gene approach for virally induced cancer with application to HIV-related Kaposi's sarcomaBrahim Aissani
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
Int J Cancer 134:397-404. 2014..This "proof of concept" study identified human homologs involved in the regulation of type I interferon-induced signaling, cell cycle and apoptosis potentially as important determinants of HIV-KS...
- The utility of mitochondrial and y chromosome phylogenetic data to improve correction for population stratificationRobert Makowsky
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham Birmingham, AL, USA
Front Genet 3:301. 2012....
- Interleukin-10 gene (IL10) polymorphisms and human papillomavirus clearance among immunosuppressed adolescentsSadeep Shrestha
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1665 University Boulevard, RPHB Room 220A, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1626-32. 2007....
- Natural selection among Eurasians at genomic regions associated with HIV-1 controlYann C Klimentidis
Section on Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
BMC Evol Biol 11:173. 2011....
- Association test of multiallelic gene copy numbers in family triosSadeep Shrestha
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Genet Epidemiol 34:2-6. 2010..We present theoretical derivation of the statistics and results of simulation studies that show robustness of our approach and power under several genetic models...
- Genetic Determinants of Uterine Fibroids in African-American and Caucasian WomenBrahim Aissani; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge to be gained from this study could, at some point in the near future, lead to the development of the first genetic counseling protocol for fibroids and ultimately to a more appropriate therapy. ..