Abdelmonem A Afifi
Affiliation: University of California
- Methods for improving regression analysis for skewed continuous or counted responsesAbdelmonem A Afifi
School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 28:95-111. 2007..Recent advances in computing and software development have produced user-friendly computer programs that enable the data analyst to improve prediction and inference based on regression analysis...
- Impact of disease management on health care utilization: evidence from the "Florida: A Healthy State (FAHS)" Medicaid ProgramAbdelmonem A Afifi
School of Public Health, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Prev Med 44:547-53. 2007..To examine the impact of disease management on utilization of selected health care services...
- The effect of disease management on utilization of services by race/ethnicity: evidence from the Florida Medicaid programGerald F Kominski
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, 10960 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 1550, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:168-72. 2008..To measure possible racial/ethnic differences in a Florida disease management (DM) program on utilization of selected healthcare services for 4 chronic illnesses...
- Improving the implementation of a condom availability program in urban high schoolsChristine J De Rosa
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Sexually Transmitted Disease Program, Los Angeles, California 90007, USA
J Adolesc Health 51:572-9. 2012..We conducted an intervention to improve the implementation of a high school condom availability program, and evaluated its effect on students' awareness of the program and acquisition of condoms...
- The effects of a disease management program on self-reported health behaviors and health outcomes: evidence from the "Florida: a healthy state (FAHS)" Medicaid programDonald E Morisky
UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California, USA
Health Educ Behav 36:505-17. 2009..19 points (p < .01) in Year 1 and 0.29 points (p < .01) in Year 2. Patients in the disease management program benefited in terms of controlling hypertension, asthma symptoms, and cholesterol and blood glucose levels...
- Influence of contextual environment and community-based dental education on practice plans of graduating seniorsPamela L Davidson
University of California Los Angeles, Department of Health Services, CHS 31 293, Los Angeles, CA 90092 1772, USA
J Dent Educ 71:403-18. 2007..In the long term, addressing the problem of dental care access will require the creation of policy, financial, and structural interventions to motivate providers to care for the underserved...
- Media literacy as a violence-prevention strategy: a pilot evaluationTheresa Webb
Department of Epidemiology, Southern California Injury Prevention Research Center, UCLA School of Public Health, 10960 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Health Promot Pract 11:714-22. 2010..8%; p < .0001). The pre-and posttest scores were similar for males and females. Three of the six intervention classrooms scored higher on both the pretest and posttest compared with the other three classrooms...
- Reducing risky sexual behavior and substance use among currently and formerly homeless adults living with HIVMary Jane Rotheram-Borus
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1100-7. 2009..We examined the efficacy of the Healthy Living Program in reducing risky sexual behavior and substance use among adults with HIV infection who were marginally housed (i.e., homeless at some point over a 37-month period)...
- Occupational electromagnetic fields and leukemia and brain cancer: an update to two meta-analysesLeeka Kheifets
Department of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Occup Environ Med 50:677-88. 2008..To update past meta-analyses on occupational electromagnetic fields (EMF) and adult brain cancer and leukemia...
- A method to measure and predict rates of regional visual field decay in glaucomaJoseph Caprioli
Jules Stein Eye Institute, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90025, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:4765-73. 2011..This study was conducted to measure the rate of visual field (VF) decay in glaucoma, to separate faster and slower components of decay, and to predict the rate of VF decay...
- Workforce reentry for people with HIV/AIDS: intervention effects and predictors of successDavid J Martin
Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Work 27:221-33. 2006..We discuss these findings in the context of the need for more explicitly-defined interventions, as well as the need for additional information on factors that may hinder or facilitate workforce re-entry among people with HIV/AIDS...
- Effect of a targeted subsidy on intake of fruits and vegetables among low-income women in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and ChildrenDena R Herman
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles UCLA, School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 98:98-105. 2008..We tested the effectiveness of a subsidy for fruits and vegetables to the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)...
- What enhances underrepresented minority recruitment to dental schools?Ronald M Andersen
University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, CHS 31 293, 650 C E Young Drive South, Campus Box 951772, Los Angeles, CA 90092 1772, USA
J Dent Educ 71:994-1008. 2007..Higher total financial aid awarded by the school was negatively associated with recruitment of African Americans. Results suggest some improved URM recruitment strategies for dental schools...
- Validation of point-wise exponential regression to measure the decay rates of glaucomatous visual fieldsParham Azarbod
Jules Stein Eye Institute, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:5403-9. 2012..This study was conducted to validate a recently described technique for measuring the rates of visual field (VF) decay in glaucoma...
- Comparison of extramural clinical rotation days: did the Pipeline program make a difference?Kathryn A Atchison
UCLA School of Dentistry, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Dent Educ 75:52-61. 2011....
- Sexual intercourse and oral sex among public middle school students: prevalence and correlatesChristine J De Rosa
Health Research Association, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 42:197-205. 2010..Better information is needed to guide interventions to prevent early sexual debut...
- Preinjury factors and 3-month outcomes following emergency department diagnosis of mild traumatic brain injuryJess Kraus
Southern California Injury Prevention Research Center, University of California Los Angeles, 10960 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Head Trauma Rehabil 24:344-54. 2009..To investigate the sequelae of mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI) by comparing selected outcomes of emergency department-diagnosed patients with mild head injuries to those with non-head injuries...
- Effects of behavioral intervention on substance use among people living with HIV: the Healthy Living Project randomized controlled studyF Lennie Wong
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Addiction 103:1206-14. 2008..Reductions in substance use were examined in response to an intensive intervention with people living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) (PLH)...
- Public health impact of extremely low-frequency electromagnetic fieldsLeeka Kheifets
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1772, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:1532-7. 2006....
- Geographic and socioeconomic variation in the treatment of prostate cancerTracey L Krupski
Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:7881-8. 2005..This study examines geographic and socioeconomic variation in the primary treatment of men with prostate cancer during the era of prostate-specific antigen testing...