Affiliation: University of California
- The MAPP research network: design, patient characterization and operationsJ Richard Landis
Department of Urology, Division of Neurourology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
BMC Urol 14:58. 2014..The evolution, organization, and scientific scope of the MAPP Research Network, and the unique approach of the network's central study and common data elements are described...
- Psychological trauma and functional somatic syndromes: a systematic review and meta-analysisNiloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0737
Psychosom Med 76:2-11. 2014..Our goals were to determine the overall effect size of the association and to examine moderators of the relationship...
- C-reactive protein and pain sensitivity: findings from female twinsNiloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego and VA San Diego Healthcare System, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Ann Behav Med 42:277-83. 2011..Systemic inflammation and pain sensitivity may contribute to the development and maintenance of chronic pain conditions...
- Depression and obesity: do shared genes explain the relationship?Niloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0738, USA
Depress Anxiety 27:799-806. 2010..Given the substantial genetic contribution to both depression and obesity, we sought to determine whether shared genetic influences are responsible for the association between these two conditions...
- Are post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms and temporomandibular pain associated? Findings from a community-based twin registryNiloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Orofac Pain 22:41-9. 2008....
- Chronic pain, overweight, and obesity: findings from a community-based twin registryLisa Johnson Wright
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0738, USA
J Pain 11:628-35. 2010..Future longitudinal research can help to determine causality and underlying mechanisms...
- Adverse childhood experiences, health perception, and the role of shared familial factors in adult twinsSheeva M Mostoufi
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 4611, USA
Child Abuse Negl 37:910-6. 2013..Shared familial factors might play a partial role in the relationship between ACE and health perception. Future research should further investigate the genetic and environmental mechanisms that may explain this relationship. ..
- The role of emotional numbing in sexual functioning among veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan warsSarah E Nunnink
Veterans Affairs Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, MC 116A, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Mil Med 175:424-8. 2010..Those exhibiting numbing symptoms should be thoroughly assessed for sexual functioning problems and referred for treatment as necessary...
- Salivary cortisol and cold pain sensitivity in female twinsKathryn M Godfrey
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Ann Behav Med 47:180-8. 2014..There is a dearth of knowledge about the link between cortisol and pain sensitivity...
- Psychological distress in twins with urological symptomsLisa Johnson Wright
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0738, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 32:262-7. 2010..Our objectives were to determine whether psychological distress was higher in twins with urological symptoms commonly found in IC/PBS than in twins without, and if so, did familial influences contribute to this association...
- A randomized, controlled trial of acceptance and commitment therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy for chronic painJulie Loebach Wetherell
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, Dept 111N 1, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Pain 152:2098-107. 2011..These findings suggest that ACT is an effective and acceptable adjunct intervention for patients with chronic pain...
- University of Washington Twin Registry: construction and characteristics of a community-based twin registryNiloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Twin Res Hum Genet 9:1023-9. 2006..Plans for the further growth of the University of Washington Twin Registry and its use are discussed...
- PTSD, combat injury, and headache in Veterans Returning from Iraq/AfghanistanNiloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Headache 49:1267-76. 2009..To examine the relationship between posttraumatic stress disorder, combat injury, and headache in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom veterans at the VA San Diego Healthcare System...
- Specific pain complaints in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans screening positive for post-traumatic stress disorderTobias Moeller-Bertram
VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health and VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA
Psychosomatics 55:172-8. 2014..Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and pain are highly comorbid...
- Health and distress predictors of heart rate variability in fibromyalgia and other forms of chronic painSheeva M Mostoufi
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego, CA, USA
J Psychosom Res 72:39-44. 2012..Predictors of HRV will also be examined...
- The association of posttraumatic stress disorder and metabolic syndrome: a study of increased health risk in veteransPia S Heppner
Veterans Affairs San Diego Health Care System, Research Service, MC 151, La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
BMC Med 7:1. 2009..To assess PTSD-related biological burden, we measured biological factors that comprise metabolic syndrome, an important established predictor of morbidity and mortality, as a correlate of long-term health risk in PTSD...
- Trauma exposure, branch of service, and physical injury in relation to mental health among U.S. veterans returning from Iraq and AfghanistanDewleen G Baker
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, 9500 Gilman Dr, MC 0603 La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Mil Med 174:773-8. 2009..Follow-up analyses revealed that trauma history and combat exposure varied by branch of service. Knowledge of base rates and vulnerability factors can aid in rapid detection of "at risk" individuals...
- The illness uncertainty concept: a reviewLisa Johnson Wright
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive 0738, La Jolla, CA 92093 0738, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 13:133-8. 2009..Future research should examine specific predictors of illness uncertainty, how this construct changes over time, and what interventions may be effective in reducing illness uncertainty for individuals who experience pain conditions...
- Twin studies of posttraumatic stress disorder: differentiating vulnerability factors from sequelaeWilliam S Kremen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Neuropharmacology 62:647-53. 2012..The creation of new twin registries would do much toward accomplishing this goal. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder'...
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for generalized anxiety disorder in older adults: a preliminary reportJulie Loebach Wetherell
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, La Jolla, CA 92093 9111, USA
Behav Ther 42:127-34. 2011..No patients dropped out of ACT, and worry and depression improved. Findings suggest that ACT may warrant a large-scale investigation with anxious older adults...
- Chronic fatigue syndrome: a reviewNiloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:221-36. 2003..Chronic fatigue syndrome is an illness characterized by disabling fatigue of at least 6 months, accompanied by several other symptoms. This review summarizes the current state of knowledge about chronic fatigue syndrome...
- Chronic fatigue and anxiety/depression: a twin studyPeter Roy-Byrne
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Br J Psychiatry 180:29-34. 2002..Up to three-quarters of patients with fatigue syndromes have comorbid mood or anxiety disorders, suggesting that chronic fatigue is a forme fruste of anxiety or depressive states...
- Genetic pleiotropy between asthma and obesity in a community-based sample of twinsTeal S Hallstrand
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:1235-41. 2005..Asthma and obesity are common conditions that are strongly associated. This association might be due to shared genetic or environmental causes...
- A twin study of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms and chronic widespread painLester M Arguelles
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Pain 124:150-7. 2006..Future research is needed to understand the temporal association of PTSD and CWP, as well as the physiological underpinnings of this relationship...
- Is the association between posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms and poor health due to a common familial or genetic factor?Peter P Roy-Byrne
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington at Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 28:408-13. 2006..The objective of this study was to identify genetic, familial and environmental contributions to the association between posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms and poor health...
- Twin analyses of fatigueEllen Schur
1 Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Twin Res Hum Genet 10:729-33. 2007..About half the variance for both prolonged and chronic fatigue in males was due to genetic effects, and half due to individual-specific environmental effects. For females, most variance was due to individual environmental effects...
- Feeling bad in more ways than one: comorbidity patterns of medically unexplained and psychiatric conditionsEllen A Schur
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:818-21. 2007....
- Cold pressor pain sensitivity in monozygotic twins discordant for chronic fatigue syndromePhilip M Ullrich
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Pain Med 8:216-22. 2007..The present study examined whether pain and fatigue ratings and pain threshold and tolerance levels for cold pain differed between twins with CFS and their cotwins without CFS...
- Twin Study of Chronic Widespread PainNiloofar Afari; Fiscal Year: 2009..Additionally, investigating the pattern of differences between twin groups can help to distinguish factors that are predisposing to CWP and those that occur after the onset of the illness. ..