Genomes and Genes
P N Adler
Affiliation: University of Virginia
- Adler P, Krasnow R, Liu J. Tissue polarity points from cells that have higher Frizzled levels towards cells that have lower Frizzled levels. Curr Biol. 1997;7:940-9 pubmed..A polarizing signal is transmitted from cells with higher Fz levels to cells with lower levels. Our observations enable us to propose a general mechanism to explain how Wnts polarize target cells. ..
- Wang Y, Naturale V, Adler P. Planar Cell Polarity Effector Fritz Interacts with Dishevelled and Has Multiple Functions in Regulating PCP. G3 (Bethesda). 2017;7:1323-1337 pubmed publisher..Our data showed that Fritz is very dynamic in epidermal cells and preferentially distributed to discrete membrane subdomains ("puncta"). Surprisingly, we found it in stripes in developing bristles. ..
- Fang X, Lu Q, Emoto K, Adler P. The Drosophila Fry protein interacts with Trc and is highly mobile in vivo. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:40 pubmed publisher....
- Adler P, Charlton J, Liu J. Mutations in the cadherin superfamily member gene dachsous cause a tissue polarity phenotype by altering frizzled signaling. Development. 1998;125:959-68 pubmed..The direction of this domineering nonautonomy was coincident with the direction of the abnormal hair polarity. We conclude that dachsous causes a tissue polarity phenotype because it alters the direction of frizzled signaling. ..
- Adler P, Taylor J. Asymmetric cell division: plane but not simple. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R233-6 pubmed..The orientation of these divisions is under the control of the Frizzled pathway that generates planar polarity in a number of cell types. ..
- Adler P, Lee H. Frizzled signaling and cell-cell interactions in planar polarity. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001;13:635-40 pubmed..This cortical mark leads to the local activation of downstream gene products and the subsequent activation of the cytoskeleton to form a hair. ..
- Wang Y, Yan J, Lee H, Lu Q, Adler P. The proteins encoded by the Drosophila Planar Polarity Effector genes inturned, fuzzy and fritz interact physically and can re-pattern the accumulation of "upstream" Planar Cell Polarity proteins. Dev Biol. 2014;394:156-69 pubmed publisher..We also find that over expression of Frtz results in a marked delay in hair initiation suggesting that it has a separate role/activity in regulating the cytoskeleton that is not shared by other members of the group. ..
- Sobala L, Wang Y, Adler P. ChtVis-Tomato, a genetic reporter for in vivo visualization of chitin deposition in Drosophila. Development. 2015;142:3974-81 pubmed publisher..ChtVis-Tomato should facilitate future studies on chitin in Drosophila and other insects. ..
- Adler P, Taylor J, Charlton J. The domineering non-autonomy of frizzled and van Gogh clones in the Drosophila wing is a consequence of a disruption in local signaling. Mech Dev. 2000;96:197-207 pubmed..We suggest that fz and Vang clones result in altered levels of a locally acting signal and the domineering non-autonomy results from wild-type cells responding to this abnormal signal. ..
- Adler P, Liu J, Charlton J. Cell size and the morphogenesis of wing hairs in Drosophila. Genesis. 2000;28:82-91 pubmed..We conclude that both of these cellular systems are limited in their ability to scale to accommodate larger cell size. ..
- Adler P, Zhu C, Stone D. Inturned localizes to the proximal side of wing cells under the instruction of upstream planar polarity proteins. Curr Biol. 2004;14:2046-51 pubmed..These data indicate that accumulation of proteins at the proximal side of wing cells is a key event for the distal activation of the cytoskeleton to form a hair. ..
- Adler P, Sobala L, Thom D, Nagaraj R. dusky-like is required to maintain the integrity and planar cell polarity of hairs during the development of the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2013;379:76-91 pubmed publisher..We carried out a small directed screen to identify genes that might function with dyl and identified Chitinase 6 (Cht6) as a strong candidate, as knocking down Cht6 function led to weak versions of all of the dyl hair phenotypes. ..