Affiliation: University of Washington
- The kinetics of clonal dominance in myeloproliferative disordersSandra N Catlin
Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Box 357710, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Blood 106:2688-92. 2005..They also demonstrate that competition for microenvironmental support can lead to the suppression of normal hematopoiesis as neoplasia evolves. Toxic or immunologic suppression of normal HSCs is not required...
- Studies of c-Mpl function distinguish the replication of hematopoietic stem cells from the expansion of differentiating clonesJanis L Abkowitz
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Blood 109:5186-90. 2007....
- An X chromosome gene regulates hematopoietic stem cell kineticsJ L Abkowitz
Division of Hematology, University of Washington, 1959 Northeast Pacific Street, Box 357710, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:3862-6. 1998..We show that there is a competitive advantage for all HSCs with a specific X chromosome phenotype and, thus, demonstrate that an X chromosome gene (or genes) regulates HSC replication, differentiation, and/or survival...
- In utero transplantation of monocytic cells in cats with alpha-mannosidosisJanis L Abkowitz
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Transplantation 88:323-9. 2009..Lysosomal storage diseases are devastating illnesses, in large part because of their neurologic consequences. Because significant morbidity occurs prenatally, in utero (IU) therapy is an attractive therapeutic approach...
- Strategies to expand transduced hematopoietic stem cells in vivoJanis L Abkowitz
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Box 357710, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Mol Ther 9:566-76. 2004..Simulation may allow one to optimize and/or understand the limitations of a gene therapy strategy...
- Response of Diamond-Blackfan anemia to metoclopramide: evidence for a role for prolactin in erythropoiesisJanis L Abkowitz
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 USA
Blood 100:2687-91. 2002..Three individuals responded, suggesting that this therapeutic approach may benefit others. As with the index case, the anemia did not improve until 12 to 15 weeks of therapy had been completed...
- Mobilization of hematopoietic stem cells during homeostasis and after cytokine exposureJanis L Abkowitz
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Box 357710, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Blood 102:1249-53. 2003....
- Mobilization as a preparative regimen for hematopoietic stem cell transplantationJing Chen
Medicine Hematology, University of Washington, Box 357710, Seattle, 98195, USA
Blood 107:3764-71. 2006..These results indicate that the number of available niches regulates the number of HSCs. In addition, mobilization with AMD3100 may provide a safer preparative approach for HSC transplantation in genetic and other nonmalignant disorders...
- The preferentially expressed antigen in melanoma (PRAME) inhibits myeloid differentiation in normal hematopoietic and leukemic progenitor cellsVivian G Oehler
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Blood 114:3299-308. 2009..Lastly, these observations suggest that PRAME is a target for both prognostic and therapeutic applications...
- Identification of a human heme exporter that is essential for erythropoiesisJohn G Quigley
Department of Medicine Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Cell 118:757-66. 2004..Studies of FLVCR expression in cell lines suggest this exporter also impacts heme trafficking in intestine and liver. To our knowledge, this is the first description of a mammalian heme transporter...
- Estimating human hematopoietic stem cell kinetics using granulocyte telomere lengthsBryan E Shepherd
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Exp Hematol 32:1040-50. 2004..To study in vivo behavior of hematopoietic stem cells (HSC)...
- A heme export protein is required for red blood cell differentiation and iron homeostasisSiobán B Keel
Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Science 319:825-8. 2008..Thus, the trafficking of heme, and not just elemental iron, facilitates erythropoiesis and systemic iron balance...
- Kinetics and specificity of feline leukemia virus subgroup C receptor (FLVCR) export function and its dependence on hemopexinZhantao Yang
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7710, USA
J Biol Chem 285:28874-82. 2010..Together, these data argue that hemopexin has a role in assuring systemic iron balance during homeostasis in addition to its established role as a scavenger during internal bleeding or hemolysis...
- Investigation of a putative role for FLVCR, a cytoplasmic heme exporter, in Diamond-Blackfan anemiaJohn G Quigley
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 35:189-92. 2005..In 4 families, the disease linked exclusively to 1q31. Here, we report that the FLVCR gene on 1q31, which encodes a cytoplasmic heme exporter associated with red cell aplasia in cats, is not involved in DBA in these families...
- Genomic structure and evolutionary context of the human feline leukemia virus subgroup C receptor (hFLVCR) gene: evidence for block duplications and de novo gene formation within duplicons of the hFLVCR locusLeonard Lipovich
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Gene 286:203-13. 2002....
- Hematopoietic stem-cell behavior in nonhuman primatesBryan E Shepherd
Department of Biostatistics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Blood 110:1806-13. 2007..Thus, our data suggest that the self-renewal capacity of mammalian stem cells in vivo is defined and evolutionarily conserved...
- Evidence that the number of hematopoietic stem cells per animal is conserved in mammalsJanis L Abkowitz
Departments of Medicine and Statistics, University of Washington, Seattle and the Department of Mathematical Statistics, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Blood 100:2665-7. 2002..7 to 1.5 HSCs/10(8) NMCs, a frequency that is 20-fold less than estimated by the NOD/SCID repopulating assay...
- Longitudinal studies of telomere length in feline blood cells: implications for hematopoietic stem cell turnover in vivoTim H Brummendorf
Terry Fox Laboratory, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Exp Hematol 30:1147-52. 2002..To address questions about stem cell turnover in relation to telomere length dynamics, we analyzed telomere length in serial blood samples from cats...
- Expression from second-generation feline immunodeficiency virus vectors is impaired in human hematopoietic cellsMary A Price
Division of Research Immunology Bone Marrow Transplantation, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Mol Ther 6:645-52. 2002..We conclude that FIV vectors can transfer genes into human hematopoietic cells as effectively as HIV-1 vectors, but that unknown elements in the current FIV backbone inhibit expression from FIV vectors in human hematopoietic cells...
- Can human hematopoietic stem cells become skin, gut, or liver cells?Janis L Abkowitz
N Engl J Med 346:770-2. 2002
- Improved transduction of human sheep repopulating cells by retrovirus vectors pseudotyped with feline leukemia virus type C or RD114 envelopesM Lee Lucas
Genetics and Molecular Biology Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 106:51-8. 2005....
- KINETICS AND BEHAVIOR OF HEMOPOIETIC STEM CELLSJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..By analyzing HSC kinetics in cats and mice, experimental systems with vastly different hemopoietic demands, we hope to gain insights that will allow an extrapolation to human hemopoiesis. ..
- FELINE LEUKEMIA VIRUS INDUCED RED CELL APLASIAJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- IN UTERO TRANSPLANTATION FOR LYSOSOMAL STORAGE DISEASEJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigators are hopeful that these studies will provide alternative approaches for the therapy of lysosomal storage disorders. ..
- Physiology of feline leukemia virus C receptor, FLVCRJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..We anticipate that these studies will provide novel insights into a unique cell protection mechanism. ..
- The Kinetics and Behavior of Hematopoietic Stem cellsJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..Broadly, this application uses parabiosis, evolutionary analyses and stochastic simulation, 3 systems biology approaches, to gain insights into the in vivo behavior of HSC. ..
- Career Development in Clinical Hematology ResearchJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that the scholars will progress to tenure track academic appointments at our institution or elsewhere. The broad goal of our application is to promote benign hematology clinical research, as this is an underserved field. ..
- Pathogenesis of clonal dominance in myelopoliferative d*JANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that, once validated, stochastic simulation will be an excellent tool for further studies of the pathogenesis of individual myeloproliferative diseases, disease progression and subclone evolution. ..
- The Kinetics and Behavior of Hematopoietic Stem cellsJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..Broadly, this application uses parabiosis, evolutionary analyses and stochastic simulation, 3 systems biology approaches, to gain insights into the in vivo behavior of HSC. ..
- KINETICS AND BEHAVIOR OF HEMATOPOIETIC STEM CELLSJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 1999..Taken together, the PI believes these studies will provide insight into the kinetics and behavior of hematopoietic stem cells in large animals, to optimal strategies for gene therapy, and to disease pathogenesis. ..
- KINETICS AND BEHAVIOR OF HEMATOPOIETIC STEM CELLSJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- FELINE LEUKEMIA VIRUS-INDUCED HEMATOLOGIC DISEASEJANIS ABKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 1991..This model will be generated through the repeated use of myelosuppressive drugs such as dimethylmyleran or through autologous bone marrow transplantation employing low numbers of hematopoietic cells...