Mark W Bowyer
Affiliation: Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- Surgical education in the new millennium: the military perspectiveMark W Bowyer
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:1453-70, viii. 2004
- Far forward feasibility: testing a cricothyroidotmy simulator in IraqMark W Bowyer
The Surgical Simulation Laboratory of the National Capital Area, Medical Simulation Center, Uniformed Services University, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 132:37-41. 2008..The use of this simulator in a far forward setting was feasible, enhanced training, and provided necessary end-user feedback for future development of this training platform...
- Teaching breaking bad news using mixed reality simulationMark W Bowyer
National Capital Area Medical Simulation Center of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Department of Surgery, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
J Surg Res 159:462-7. 2010....
- Combining high-fidelity human patient simulators with a standardized family member: a novel approach to teaching breaking bad newsMark W Bowyer
National Capital Area Medical Simulation Center of the Uniformed Services, University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 119:67-72. 2006..This novel approach to teaching BBN to 3(rd) year medical students was well received by the students and resulted in marked improvement of self assessed skills over baseline...
- A novel craniotomy simulator provides a validated method to enhance education in the management of traumatic brain injuryDarlene A Lobel
Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota Department of Neurological Surgery, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio Division of Neurosurgery, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts Department of Neurosurgery, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts The Norman M Rich Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, Maryland
Neurosurgery 73:57-65. 2013..The Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) established an initiative to enhance neurosurgical training by developing a simulation-based curriculum to complement standard didactic and clinical learning...
- Teaching intravenous cannulation to medical students: comparative analysis of two simulators and two traditional educational approachesMark W Bowyer
National Capital Area Medical Simulation Center of the Uniformed Services, University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 111:57-63. 2005..026). Both simulators provided at least equal training to traditional methods of teaching, a finding with implications for future training of this procedure to novices...
- Hypertonic saline: intraosseous infusion causes myonecrosis in a dehydrated swine model of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shockHasan B Alam
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
J Trauma 52:18-25. 2002..5% hypertonic saline (HTS) for combat casualties in shock. We tested the safety and efficacy of this recommendation in a long-term survival model of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock using dehydrated swine...
- Advanced Surgical Skills for Exposure in Trauma (ASSET): the first 25 coursesMark W Bowyer
The Norman M Rich Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
J Surg Res 183:553-8. 2013..Contained herein are the results of the first 25 courses...
- Learning and memory is preserved after induced asanguineous hyperkalemic hypothermic arrest in a swine model of traumatic exsanguinationHasan B Alam
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Surgery 132:278-88. 2002..We report a novel method of doing this in a swine model of uncontrolled lethal hemorrhage (ULH) that resulted in preservation of learning ability and memory...
- Advanced surgical skills for exposure in trauma: a new surgical skills cadaver course for surgery residents and fellowsDeborah A Kuhls
Department of Surgery, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas, Nevada 89102, USA
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 74:664-70. 2013..Using a human cadaver, standardized rapid exposure of vital structures in the extremities, neck, thorax, abdomen, retroperitoneum, and pelvis is taught...