Erick H Turner
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of single-dose metergoline in depressed patients with seasonal affective disorderErick H Turner
Section on Biological Rhythms, Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:216-20. 2002..These data suggest that single doses of metergoline may have antidepressant effects that last several days. Possible mechanisms include 5-hydroxytryptamine(2) receptor downregulation and dopamine agonism...
- Serotonin a la carte: supplementation with the serotonin precursor 5-hydroxytryptophanErick H Turner
Mood Disorders Center, Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Pharmacol Ther 109:325-38. 2006..Safety issues with 5-HTP are also reviewed, with emphasis on eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS) and serotonin syndrome...
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan plus SSRIs for interferon-induced depression: synergistic mechanisms for normalizing synaptic serotoninErick H Turner
Mental Health Division, Mood Disorders Research Center, Portland VA Medical Center, 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Med Hypotheses 65:138-44. 2005..Several double-blind studies have shown 5-HTP to be effective in the treatment of nondrug-induced depression. We hypothesize that patients who become depressed on IFN will respond to the synergistic combination of SSRIs plus 5-HTP...
- Publication bias in antipsychotic trials: an analysis of efficacy comparing the published literature to the US Food and Drug Administration databaseErick H Turner
Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
PLoS Med 9:e1001189. 2012..Thus one may determine whether publication bias is present and quantify the extent to which it inflates apparent drug efficacy...
- Patients with seasonal affective disorder have lower odor detection thresholds than control subjectsTeodor T Postolache
Section on Biological Rhythms, National Institute of Mental Health NIH, 10 Center Dr, Room 3S 231, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:1119-22. 2002..Because the olfactory system has a modulatory role in seasonal photoperiodic responses in certain species, we hypothesized that olfactory function may differ between patients with seasonal affective disorder and healthy control subjects...
- Selective publication of antidepressant trials and its influence on apparent efficacyErick H Turner
Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
N Engl J Med 358:252-60. 2008..Selective publication of clinical trials--and the outcomes within those trials--can lead to unrealistic estimates of drug effectiveness and alter the apparent risk-benefit ratio...
- Strategies to decrease costs of prescribing selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors at a VA Medical CenterSteven K Dobscha
Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Oregon 97207, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:195-200. 2003..The authors examined the efficacy of a multifaceted intervention designed to contain the cost of prescribing selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to inpatients and outpatients served by a Veterans Affairs (VA) medical center...
- Is it always unethical to use a placebo in a clinical trial?Andreas Stang
Institute of Medical Epidemiology, Biometry, and Informatics at the Medical Faculty of the Martin Luther University of Halle Wittenberg, Germany
PLoS Med 2:e72. 2005..Critics of such trials argue that if a proven effective therapy exists, a placebo should not be used. But proponents argue that placebo trials are still crucial to prove the efficacy and safety of many treatments...
- Efficacy of antidepressantsErick H Turner
BMJ 336:516-7. 2008