Affiliation: Tulane University
- Clinical and neuropsychological correlates of impaired awareness of deficits in Alzheimer disease and Parkinson disease: a comparative studyB Seltzer
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol 14:122-9. 2001..To compare patients with Alzheimer disease (AD) and Parkinson disease (PD) with regard to their awareness of cognitive, emotional/social interaction, self-care, and motor-related neurologic deficits...
- Efficacy of donepezil in early-stage Alzheimer disease: a randomized placebo-controlled trialBen Seltzer
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112 2699, USA
Arch Neurol 61:1852-6. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of donepezil in patients with early-stage Alzheimer disease...
- Donepezil: a reviewBen Seltzer
Tulane University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, 1430 Tulane Avenue HC82, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 1:527-36. 2005..Although donepezil was originally developed to inhibit the breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine as symptomatic therapy for AD, recent studies raise the possibility of other effects this drug has on the pathogenesis of AD...
- Cholinesterase inhibitors in the clinical management of Alzheimer's disease: importance of early and persistent treatmentB Seltzer
Alzheimer s Disease and Memory Disorders Center, Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Int Med Res 34:339-47. 2006..This article identifies barriers to early recognition and effective care of patients with Alzheimer's disease and discusses practical strategies to overcome them...
- Cognitive components of deficit awareness in Alzheimer's diseaseLisa M Duke
Mental Health Service Line, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Neuropsychology 16:359-69. 2002..AD patients may display intact immediate awareness of memory dysfunction but fail to incorporate incidents of memory failure into generalized self-belief systems...
- Donepezil: an updateBen Seltzer
V A Boston Healthcare System, Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, Geriatric Research Center, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:1011-23. 2007..However, in general, the efficacy of donepezil is limited, and ongoing studies are investigating other agents that may ultimately overtake its present position as the mainstay of anti-AD therapy...
- Is long-term treatment of Alzheimer's disease with cholinesterase inhibitor therapy justified?Ben Seltzer
Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Drugs Aging 24:881-90. 2007..The most contentious issue regarding long-term treatment is economic, but the majority of available economic analyses suggest net savings over the long term if patients with AD receive persistent treatment with ChEIs...