Affiliation: Tulane University
- Effect of metformin and rosiglitazone combination therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trialV Fonseca
Department of Medicine, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
JAMA 283:1695-702. 2000....
- Long-term effects of troglitazone: open-label extension studies in type 2 diabetic patientsV Fonseca
Department of Medicine, Tulane University Medical School, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Diabetes Care 23:354-9. 2000..To determine the long-term effects of troglitazone as monotherapy or in combination with sulfonylureas or insulin regarding glycemic and lipid measures...
- Differential effect of beta-blocker therapy on insulin resistance as a function of insulin sensitizer use: results from GEMINIV Fonseca
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Diabet Med 24:759-63. 2007..To determine whether the beneficial effects of carvedilol on insulin resistance (IR) are affected by the concomitant use of insulin sensitizers [thiazolidinediones (TZDs) and metformin]...
- Sustained efficacy and reduced hypoglycemia during one year of treatment with vildagliptin added to insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusV Fonseca
Endocrinology Department, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Horm Metab Res 40:427-30. 2008
- Addition of vildagliptin to insulin improves glycaemic control in type 2 diabetesV Fonseca
Endocrinology Department, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Diabetologia 50:1148-55. 2007..This study assessed the efficacy and tolerability of vildagliptin added to insulin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- An analysis of early insulin glargine added to metformin with or without sulfonylurea: impact on glycaemic control and hypoglycaemiaV Fonseca
Department of Endocrinology, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:814-22. 2011..To evaluate the benefits of initiating insulin at an earlier versus later treatment stage, and regimens with/without sulfonylurea (SU)...
- Safety and efficacy of glargine compared with NPH insulin for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsL A Bazzano
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112 2715, USA
Diabet Med 25:924-32. 2008..We systematically analysed evidence from randomized controlled trials (RCTs) examining the safety and efficacy of neutral protamine Hagedorn (NPH) insulin and glargine in the management of adults with Type 2 diabetes...
- Adding saxagliptin to extended-release metformin vs. uptitrating metformin dosageV Fonseca
Department of Medicine, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:365-71. 2012..To investigate whether patients taking metformin for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) have improved glycaemic control without compromising tolerability by adding an agent with a complementary mechanism of action vs. uptitrating metformin...
- Thiazolidinediones and congestive heart failure in veterans with type 2 diabetesA Toprani
Department of Family and Community Medicine Section of Preventive Medicine, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:276-80. 2011..The use of TZDs in clinical practice has the potential to increase morbidity and health care costs. The purpose of this study was to compare the incidence of CHF in TZD and non-TZD-treated patients in a clinical setting...
- Effect of intensive treatment of hyperglycaemia on microvascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes: an analysis of the ACCORD randomised trialFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4951, USA
Lancet 376:419-30. 2010..We investigated whether reduction of blood glucose concentration decreases the rate of microvascular complications in people with type 2 diabetes...
- beta-blocker use and diabetes symptom score: results from the GEMINI studyJ B McGill
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:408-17. 2007..In this paper, we report the results of a prespecified secondary analysis of GEMINI that sought to determine the effect of these two beta-blockers on commonly reported symptoms...
- Management of the insulin resistance syndromeC Desouza
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology SL53, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112-2699, USA
Curr Diab Rep 1:140-7. 2001..Optimal treatment will not only improve glycemic control, but may also significantly lower cardiovascular disease...
- Impact of diabetes mellitus on the severity of erectile dysfunction and response to treatment: analysis of data from tadalafil clinical trialsV Fonseca
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Tulane University Health Sciences Centre, 1430 Tulane Avenue SL 53, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Diabetologia 47:1914-23. 2004....
- Impaired vascular reactivity in African-American patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria or proteinuria despite angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor therapyA Jawa
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 2699, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:31-5. 2006..African-Americans are reported to respond less well to ACEI and are at increased risk of disease progression...
- A comparison of long-term survivals of simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplant between African American and Caucasian recipients with basiliximab induction therapyR Zhang
Department of Medicine, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Am J Transplant 7:1815-21. 2007..AA may not have worse long-term outcomes than CA recipients of SPK with basiliximab induction and tacrolimus (TAC), mycophenolate acid (MFA) and steroid maintenance immunotherapy...
- Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetesHertzel C Gerstein
N Engl J Med 358:2545-59. 2008....
- Nontraditional risk factors for cardiovascular disease in diabetesV Fonseca
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Endocr Rev 25:153-75. 2004..We will also discuss the impact of various therapies used in patients with diabetes on nontraditional risk factors...
- Increased serum homocysteine and sudden death resulting from coronary atherosclerosis with fibrous plaquesAllen P Burke
Department of Cardiovascular Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1936-41. 2002..Modest elevations of total homocysteine have been associated with increased risk for coronary atherosclerosis but correlation between elevated homocysteine and plaque morphology has not been described in humans...
- Prevention of diabetes and cardiovascular disease in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: rationale and design of the Nateglinide And Valsartan in Impaired Glucose Tolerance Outcomes Research (NAVIGATOR) TrialRobert M Califf
Duke Transitional Medicine Institute, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Am Heart J 156:623-32. 2008..The study was designed to evaluate whether reducing postprandial hyperglycemia, blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, or both interventions reduce the risk of T2DM or cardiovascular events in patients with IGT...