C F Bellows
Affiliation: Tulane University
- Tissue engineering in abdominal wall surgeryC Bellows
Department of Surgery, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA2 Cook Biotech Incorporated, West Lafayette, IN, USA
Minerva Chir 66:129-43. 2011..This article reviews the current and potential tissue engineering strategies for the repair of abdominal wall defects and suggests some innovative approaches for the translation to the clinical setting...
- Combination of oral non-absorbable and intravenous antibiotics versus intravenous antibiotics alone in the prevention of surgical site infections after colorectal surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsC F Bellows
Department of Surgery SL 22, Tulane University, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Tech Coloproctol 15:385-95. 2011....
- Early report of a randomized comparative clinical trial of Strattice™ reconstructive tissue matrix to lightweight synthetic mesh in the repair of inguinal herniasC F Bellows
Department of Surgery SL 22, Tulane University, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA, 70115, USA
Hernia 18:221-30. 2014..Biologic grafts are rarely used for inguinal herniorrhaphy. The aim of this study was to compare the clinical outcomes between patients undergoing a Lichtenstein's hernioplasty with a porcine mesh versus a standard synthetic...
- Repair of incisional hernias with biological prosthesis: a systematic review of current evidenceCharles F Bellows
Department of Surgery, Tulane University, 1430 Tulane Ave, SL 22, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Am J Surg 205:85-101. 2013..The purpose of this systematic review was to summarize the outcomes from studies describing this use of various bioprosthetics for incisional hernia repair...
- Histologic and biomechanical evaluation of biologic meshes following colonization with Pseudomonas aeruginosaCharles F Bellows
Department of Surgery, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Surg Res 175:e35-42. 2012..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the histologic and biomechanical properties of biologic mesh in response to a bacterial encounter...
- Blood vessel matrix: a new alternative for abdominal wall reconstructionC F Bellows
Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hernia 12:351-8. 2008..The aim of our study was to investigate whether this novel collagen-based biological matrix is safe and effective for the repair of abdominal wall hernia defects in a rat model...
- Early predictors of anastomotic leaks after colectomyC F Bellows
Department of Surgery, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Tech Coloproctol 13:41-7. 2009..An anastomotic leak after colorectal surgery is associated with significant morbidity and decreased survival. Our aim was to identify the early predictors of anastomotic leaks...
- The design of an industry-sponsored randomized controlled trial to compare synthetic mesh versus biologic mesh for inguinal hernia repairC F Bellows
Department of Surgery SL 22, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70115, USA
Hernia 15:325-32. 2011..Secondary outcomes include chronic pain, postoperative complications and the incidence of re-herniation at 12 and 24 months...
- The effect of bacterial infection on the biomechanical properties of biological mesh in a rat modelCharles F Bellows
Department of Surgery, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21228. 2011..However, failure rates and infections of these materials persist clinically. The purpose of this study was to determine the mechanical properties of biologic mesh in response to a bacterial encounter...
- Circulation of progenitor cells in obese and lean colorectal cancer patientsCharles F Bellows
Department of Surgery, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:2461-8. 2011..The purpose of this study was to measure the frequency of circulating CD34-positive endothelial and progenitor cells in the circulation and evaluate their potential values as CRC biomarkers...
- Splenic artery embolization and endovascular stapler integrity in a porcine modelCharles F Bellows
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am Surg 74:322-6. 2008..We presume that the hemostatic properties of the coils caused sufficient thrombosis in this model, which mimics the clinical situation, to permit division of the previously embolized splenic vessel...
- Proximal splenic angioembolization does not improve outcomes in treating blunt splenic injuries compared with splenectomy: a cohort analysisJuan C Duchesne
Division of Trauma and Critical Care Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 2699, USA
J Trauma 65:1346-51; discussion 1351-3. 2008..This study examined the outcomes of proximal SAE as part of a management algorithm for adult traumatic splenic injury compared with splenectomy...
- Improved outcomes with the Prolene Hernia System mesh compared with the time-honored Lichtenstein onlay mesh repair for inguinal hernia repairSamir S Awad
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Hospital, MED VAMC, OCL 112, RM 5A 344, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77401, USA
Am J Surg 193:697-701. 2007..Our objective was to evaluate the PHS mesh repair versus the LMR for inguinal hernias. We hypothesized that the recurrence rate of PHS mesh would be lower compared with the LMR with overall similar complication rates...
- Laparoscopic splenectomy: present status and future perspectiveCharles F Bellows
Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey VAMC, Department of Surgery, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Expert Rev Med Devices 3:95-104. 2006....
- Decellularized human cadaveric dermis provides a safe alternative for primary inguinal hernia repair in contaminated surgical fieldsDaniel Albo
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, OCL 112A, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Surg 192:e12-7. 2006..Branchburg, NJ) can potentially provide a strong repair resistant to infection. The aim of our study was to evaluate if AlloDerm provides a safe alternative for inguinal hernia repair in contaminated surgical fields...
- Melanoma in African-Americans: trends in biological behavior and clinical characteristics over two decadesC F Bellows
Department of Surgery, University of Tennessee at Memphis, 38163, USA
J Surg Oncol 78:10-6. 2001..An increased level of awareness among both patients and health-care providers is necessary to identify African-Americans with melanoma at earlier stages of disease and to improve survival...
- Abdominal wall repair using human acellular dermisCharles F Bellows
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Hospital, m c 112, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Surg 194:192-8. 2007..In this study we sought to determine the safety and efficacy of implanted human acellular dermal graft for abdominal wall reconstruction...
- Current opinions about laparoscopic incisional hernia repair: a survey of practicing surgeonsAdam C Alder
Department of Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Ave, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Am J Surg 194:659-62. 2007..Incisional hernias are common. Optimal repair is one of the most analyzed and debated topics; however, there is no consensus as to the appropriate surgical technique...
- Infiltration of suture sites with local anesthesia for management of pain following laparoscopic ventral hernia repairs: a prospective randomized trialCharles F Bellows
Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E, DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
JSLS 10:345-50. 2006....
- Body image and health locus of control among male patients with incisional herniasEmily L Hiatt
University of Houston, Department of Educational Psychology, EPSY, Farish Hall, Houston, TX 77004, USA
Body Image 6:242-5. 2009..Results suggest that poor BI is a significant area of concern among patients with incisional hernias...
- Microbiology of infected acellular dermal matrix (AlloDerm) in patients requiring complex abdominal closure after emergency surgerySamir S Awad
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 10:79-84. 2009..Currently, the rate of AlloDerm infection in contaminated cases is unknown. Our objective was to determine if the organisms cultured during source control would infect AlloDerm...
- Impact of three-dimensional vision in laparoscopic trainingKonstantinos Votanopoulos
Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
World J Surg 32:110-8. 2008....
- Abdominal wall reconstruction using biological tissue grafts: present status and future opportunitiesCharles F Bellows
Michael E DeBakey VAMC, m c 112, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Expert Rev Med Devices 3:657-75. 2006..Additional clinical studies are required to better understand the long-term efficacy and limitations of these materials...