Daniel G Bausch
Affiliation: Tulane University
- New opportunities for field research on the pathogenesis and treatment of Lassa feverSheik Humarr Khan
Kenema Government Hospital, Ministry of Health and Sanitation, Kenema, Sierra Leone
Antiviral Res 78:103-15. 2008..Here, we review the present literature on treatment and pathogenesis of LF and outline priorities for future research in the field made possible by the improved research capacity of the MRU LFN...
- Treatment of Marburg and Ebola hemorrhagic fevers: a strategy for testing new drugs and vaccines under outbreak conditionsDaniel G Bausch
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, United States
Antiviral Res 78:150-61. 2008..Here, we review the present research priorities and environment for field study of the filovirus hemorrhagic fevers and outline a strategy for future prospective clinical research on treatment and vaccine prevention...
- A tribute to Sheik Humarr Khan and all the healthcare workers in West Africa who have sacrificed in the fight against Ebola virus disease: Mae we hushDaniel G Bausch
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, USA U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 6, Lima, Peru Electronic address
Antiviral Res 111:33-5. 2014..Besides the emotional losses, the death of so many skilled and experienced healthcare workers will severely impair health care and research in affected regions, which can only be restored through dedicated, long-term programs. ..
- Ribavirin for lassa Fever postexposure prophylaxisChristiane M Hadi
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA C M Hadi, D G Bausch Ministry of Health and Sanitation, Kenema, Sierra Leone A Goba, S H Khan, J Bangura, M Sankoh, S Koroma, B Juana International Center for Research on Tropical Infections, N Zerekore, Guinea A Bah, M Coulibaly and Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans D G Bausch
Emerg Infect Dis 16:2009-11. 2010....
- On the front lines of Lassa feverDaniel G Bausch
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1889-90. 2004
- Bacterial-based systems for expression and purification of recombinant Lassa virus proteins of immunological relevanceLuis M Branco
BioFactura, Inc, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Virol J 5:74. 2008..Bacterial-based systems were engineered for expression and purification of recombinant LASV nucleoprotein (NP), glycoprotein 1 (GP1), and glycoprotein 2 (GP2)...
- Review of the literature and proposed guidelines for the use of oral ribavirin as postexposure prophylaxis for Lassa feverDaniel G Bausch
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:1435-41. 2010..We recommend oral ribavirin postexposure prophylaxis for Lassa fever exclusively for definitive high-risk exposures. These guidelines may also serve for exposure to other hemorrhagic fever viruses susceptible to ribavirin...
- Assessment of the risk of Ebola virus transmission from bodily fluids and fomitesDaniel G Bausch
Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S142-7. 2007....
- Outbreaks of filovirus hemorrhagic fever: time to refocus on the patientDaniel G Bausch
Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S136-41. 2007..A summary of the opportunities for and challenges to improving treatment of filovirus hemorrhagic fevers is presented here...
- Development of vaccines for Marburg hemorrhagic feverDaniel G Bausch
Department of Tropical Medicine, SL 17, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 6:57-74. 2007..In particular, a vaccine based on attenuated recombinant vesicular stomatitis virus was recently shown to have both preventive and postexposure efficacy...
- Risk factors for Marburg hemorrhagic fever, Democratic Republic of the CongoDaniel G Bausch
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1531-7. 2003..Secondary transmission appears to be less common with Marburg virus than with Ebola virus, the other known filovirus...
- Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Santa Cruz, Bolivia: outbreak investigation and antibody prevalence studyJoel M Montgomery
Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1840. 2012..Hantavirus infection appears to be common in the Santa Cruz Department, but more comprehensive surveillance and field studies are needed to fully understand the epidemiology and risk to humans...
- Lassa virus-infected rodents in refugee camps in Guinea: a looming threat to public health in a politically unstable regionJoseph Fair
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:167-71. 2007..The methodology used represents a potential model for rapid public health assessments in the setting of complex humanitarian emergencies...
- Rapid diagnosis of Ebola hemorrhagic fever by reverse transcription-PCR in an outbreak setting and assessment of patient viral load as a predictor of outcomeJonathan S Towner
Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Virol 78:4330-41. 2004..Furthermore, both sequence and epidemiologic data are consistent with the outbreak having originated from a single introduction into the human population...
- Marburg hemorrhagic fever associated with multiple genetic lineages of virusDaniel G Bausch
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 355:909-19. 2006..An outbreak of Marburg hemorrhagic fever was first observed in a gold-mining village in northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo in October 1998...
- Shedding of soluble glycoprotein 1 detected during acute Lassa virus infection in human subjectsLuis M Branco
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Virol J 7:306. 2010....
- A historical look at the first reported cases of Lassa fever: IgG antibodies 40 years after acute infectionNell Bond
Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Department of Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 88:241-4. 2013..One person was likely infected in 1952, 17 years before the first recognized outbreak. We briefly recount the fascinating stories of these three pioneers and their important contribution to our understanding of Lassa fever...
- Blood chemistry measurements and D-Dimer levels associated with fatal and nonfatal outcomes in humans infected with Sudan Ebola virusPierre E Rollin
Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S364-71. 2007..This study has identified levels of analytes with prognostic value, which can also be used to target therapeutic interventions, and expands on the findings of prior blood tests conducted on this group of patients...
- Housing equity for health equity: a rights-based approach to the control of Lassa fever in post-war Sierra LeoneJ Daniel Kelly
Department of Tropical Medicine, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue SL 17, New Orleans, LA, 70112, USA
BMC Int Health Hum Rights 13:2. 2013..The manuscript is designed to spur discussion and action towards provision of housing and prevention of disease in one of the world's most vulnerable populations...
- Old World hantaviruses in rodents in New Orleans, LouisianaRobert W Cross
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana New Orleans Termite, Mosquito, and Rodent Control Board, New Orleans, Louisiana Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Hamilton, Montana
Am J Trop Med Hyg 90:897-901. 2014....
- Lassa fever in post-conflict sierra leoneJeffrey G Shaffer
Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e2748. 2014..When the violent civil conflict in Sierra Leone (1991 to 2002) ended, an international consortium assisted in restoration of the LF program at Kenema Government Hospital (KGH) in an area with the world's highest incidence of the disease...
- Factors associated with nosocomial SARS-CoV transmission among healthcare workers in Hanoi, Vietnam, 2003Mary G Reynolds
National Centers for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
BMC Public Health 6:207. 2006....
- Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Central Bolivia: relationships between reservoir hosts, habitats, and viral genotypesDarin S Carroll
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:42-6. 2005..callosus was 99% identical to viral sequences obtained from the HPS patient in this area, implicating C. callosus as the host and Laguna Negra virus as the agent responsible for the HPS case near Concepcion...
- Acute arboviral infections in Guinea, West Africa, 2006Emily S Jentes
Department of Tropical Medicine, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:388-94. 2010..Improving surveillance and laboratory capacity for arbovirus diagnoses will be integral to understanding the burden posed by these agents in the region...
- Syndromic diagnosis of malaria in rural Sierra Leone and proposed additions to the national integrated management of childhood illness guidelines for feverObinna N Nnedu
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:525-8. 2010..Incorporating bed net use and splenomegaly into the national Integrated Management of Childhood Illness guidelines for evaluation of fever may further enhance diagnostic accuracy for malaria...
- A DNA vaccine for the prevention of Ebola virus infectionMarkAlain Dery
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Department of Medicine, Infectious Diseases Section, 1430 Tulane Ave SL 87, New Orleans, LA 70112 2699, USA
Curr Opin Mol Ther 10:285-93. 2008..A phase I clinical trial demonstrated a good safety profile, with most adverse events limited to the site of injection and largely attributable to the delivery...
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers including hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in the AmericasDaniel G Bausch
Special Pathogens Branch, MS G 14, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Lab Med 22:981-1020, viii. 2002..Clinical management is largely supportive, with a special emphasis on safe nursing practices to prevent nosocomial transmission...
- Studies of reservoir hosts for Marburg virusRobert Swanepoel
National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Sandringham, Republic of South Africa
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1847-51. 2007..6% of 2 species of insectivorous bat and 1 species of fruit bat. We found antibody to the virus in the serum of 9.7% of 1 of the insectivorous species and in 20.5% of the fruit bat species, but attempts to isolate virus were unsuccessful...
- Marburg hemorrhagic fever in Durba and Watsa, Democratic Republic of the Congo: clinical documentation, features of illness, and treatmentRobert Colebunders
Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp, Antwerp, B 2000, Belgium
J Infect Dis 196:S148-53. 2007..Treatment in isolation wards was acceptable, but the quality of clinical documentation was unsatisfactory. Improved clinical documentation is necessary for a basic evaluation of supportive treatment...