Affiliation: Tufts University
- Use of D-T-produced fast neutrons for in vivo body composition analysis: a reference method for nutritional assessment in the elderlyJ J Kehayias
USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington St, Boston, 02111 1524 MA, USA
Anal Bioanal Chem 379:188-91. 2004..It is also used as a reference method for the validation of portable instruments of nutritional assessment...
- Water homeostasis, frailty and cognitive function in the nursing homeJ J Kehayias
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 16:35-9. 2012..To develop and test a practical clinical method to assess frailty in nursing homes; - To investigate the relationship between cognitive status of the elderly and the balance between water compartments of their body composition...
- Energy expenditure is very high in extremely obese womenSai Krupa Das
Jean Mayer U S Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nutr 134:1412-6. 2004..Standard equations developed for nonobese populations provided the most accurate estimates of REE for the obese individuals studied here. REE was not accurately predicted by equations developed in obese populations...
- Aging and body compositionJoseph J Kehayias
Body Composition Laboratory, USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 6:63-74; discussion 74-8. 2002
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha production is associated with less body cell mass in women with rheumatoid arthritisJoseph Walsmith
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Rheumatol 31:23-9. 2004..No association was found for IL-1beta or IL-6 production in these models. CONCLUSION: Women with stable, medically well-controlled RA have lower than normal BCM that is inversely associated with elevated TNF-alpha production...
- Long-term changes in energy expenditure and body composition after massive weight loss induced by gastric bypass surgerySai Krupa Das
Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 78:22-30. 2003..REE changes were predicted by loss of body tissue; thus, there was no significant long-term change in energy efficiency that would independently promote weight regain...
- Body water in children during recovery from severe burn injury using a combined tracer dilution methodKathy Prelack
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Shriners Burns Hospital-Boston, 51 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Burn Care Rehabil 26:67-74. 2005..Taken together, the indices provide useful information about hydration and nutritional status in individuals recovering from severe burn injury...
- Sodium bromide by instrumental neutron activation analysis quantifies change in extracellular water space with wound closure in severely burned childrenKathy Prelack
Nutrition Support, Shriners Hospitals for Children, 51 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Surgery 133:396-403. 2003..CONCLUSION: A significant decrease in ECW accompanies the weight loss observed in patients following wound closure. Measurement of bromide dilution space is a convenient method for monitoring ECW that can be done at the bedside...
- Body composition assessment in extreme obesity and after massive weight loss induced by gastric bypass surgerySai Krupa Das
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston 02111, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E1080-8. 2003..A simple 3C model utilizing air displacement plethysmography and BIA is useful for clinical evaluation in this population...
- Monitoring sarcopenic obesity in the elderlyJoseph Kehayias; Fiscal Year: 2007..This portable instrument will be particularly useful for monitoring sarcopenic obesity in the elderly where existing simple methods (such as Body Mass Index) fail to identify the true level of adipose tissue and frailty. ..
- Assessment of Energy Intake in Free-Living Subjects Using Stable IsotopesJoseph Kehayias; Fiscal Year: 2007..If successful, it will become for energy intake what doubly labeled water is today for energy expenditure. ..